PDA

View Full Version : Jailed for homelessness - and loving it

columbine
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Indiana wants them - and these shelter cats (http://www.examiner.com/x-9729-Cats-Examiner~y2009m7d29-Doing-jail-time-is-helping--save-homeless-cats-in-Indiana) are cheering up the inmates who look after them, while freeing up space in the shelter! Living in a medium-security prison, these cats are getting more human contact and less unhealthy stress... and a few prison staff have already adopted.

Love, Columbine

Grace
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
That is one cool story! And an absolute win-win situation.

Thanks for the link :)

Karen
07-29-2009, 05:35 PM
What a good idea - for both the cats and the inmates!

catmandu
07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
And Cats and Dogs bring out the best in a lot of people and bring out thier humanity.
It certainly is worth a try, because once a Stray has been PTS , thats it.
And I bet a lot of inmates will adopt too , and leave with a better Cattitude!!!
:):):)

Laura's Babies
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
That is a great idea! Everybody wins! More should prisons adopt that attitude!

katladyd
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I love this idea!!! Why, with a furbaby by their side, the inmates have someone to love and who will love them back once they are released.:love: Love can make a big difference in someone's attitude and life.

MoonandBean
07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
That's great! I just watched a show on prison dogs the other day and wonder WHY they don't all do it? The prisoners benefit and the shelter dogs/cats benefit and make room in the overcrowded shelters.

MoonandBean
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's another view on the issue though:

The big (cat) house
Monday, July 13th, 2009
Whoever came up with the idea of taking stray dogs into prison was brilliant — it helps the dogs and can give the inmates an idea of what it’s like to be a responsible human being. But now they’re trying the same thing with cats, and I’m not so sure about that one:

Schlusser and his fellow offenders work in eight-hour shifts caring for 59 cats who entered the facility on June 22.

Maleah Stringer, director of Animal Care and Control in Anderson, is in charge of the prison pet program and said all 59 cats were up for adoption.

It’s up to Schlusser and other inmates to care for the animals and socialize with them so that the animals are ready to be taken into permanent homes.

So they’re going to “socialize” the cats – I’d like to see that. What’s likely to happen is that the inmates will care for the cats, look after their every need, give in to their every demand and whim, and what they’ll get in return is, “OK, but what have you done for me in the last 10 seconds?” Encountering such an attitude likely contributed to why many of the men became inmates in the first place.

:D :D :D

smokey the elder
07-30-2009, 01:12 PM
*snort*. Actually, I think caring for animals is good for them. I saw another story awhile back where some low risk offenders are tending rescue horses.

mrspunkysmom
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Here's another view on the issue though:

So they’re going to “socialize” the cats – I’d like to see that. What’s likely to happen is that the inmates will care for the cats, look after their every need, give in to their every demand and whim, and what they’ll get in return is, “OK, but what have you done for me in the last 10 seconds?” Encountering such an attitude likely contributed to why many of the men became inmates in the first place.

:D :D :D

I think encountering a personality that does not accord them god status is good. People are different and learning how to deal with the cat personality will help them deal with the different humans in the real world. Being humbled is not a bad thing.

Carol Bulger
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
The best idea ever. Good for the cats and also for the inmates. Could help reab the inmates. Everybody wins!!!

lvpets2002
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
:) Oh I have been seeing this on MSNBC about other prison doing this.. I think its a great idea.. Its good for the inmates && the cats.. The inmates learn how to love & respect for humans again by loving & respecting the cats.. The cats have got good homing & loving with the inmates..

sirrahbed
07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
WOW I totally LOVE this idea!! :love::D

Zippy
07-31-2009, 06:32 PM
That's wonderful for the inmates and the cats.Great Idea.