PDA

View Full Version : Update about my Dad

Puckstop31
07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Sorry, I could not find the original thread...

For those of you who are concerned.... After a meeting with his docs, they decided to wait a little longer, possibly a few years, to do his femoral graft. It is a very invasive procedure and they worry about his ability to recover.

I'm not sure why they want to wait myself... I mean, he is in pain from it now and he is only going to get older...

This said, I had a very good conversation with him about it yesterday. He knows what he is doing and he has given it to God. So who am I to argue with him?

kokopup
07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your dad's struggle to cope with the pain associated with ischemia. I don't know what your father's overall condition is but unless he is free from other problems like with his heart, it is probably wise to hold off on the surgery. This is a very invasive surgery that would be hard on a otherwise healthy person. I'm sure your doctors have considered medications like Pletal or Trental to help with his circulation problems. If they haven't this should be considered. Pletal in particular can help tremendously with his pain issues. Your dad will be in my prayers.

Grace
07-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Puck, where is your dad as far as his treatment for lymphoma? Is he still getting chemo? Will he need radiation? Did the surgeons address this when they made the decision?

Prayers continuing for all of you.

lvpets2002
07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
:( Thanks for the update.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. I sure hope they can do this surgery & get your dad out of pain.. God Bless You All

RICHARD
07-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Dude,

Thanks for taking care of your Dad. Things get tougher as family gets older. Good thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Hang tough!

cassiesmom
07-29-2009, 06:55 PM
:( Thanks for the update.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. God Bless You All

Lots of prayers and hugs being sent from me too,
Elyse

caseysmom
07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Still praying for your father Brian.

Puckstop31
07-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Thank you all.... :)

He is still in remission. He goes for a short course of chemo every 6-9 months, as "preventative" treatment. Barring a new treatment, they will never be able to fully "cure" him. He would not survive being brought to zero white count. Because on top of his lymphoma, he has Lymes Disease. Basically, his immune system is pretty shot up.

As for taking care of him... I do what I can from 1,100 miles away. The real hero is my mom. My dad is a retired soldier... He can be a PITA and a grump. But outside his shell, he is a caring and loving person. If I had to use one word to describe my dad, it would be "selfless".

Thanks again all. Also, FWIW, this has been a GREAT trip. We are having a awesome time and so is dad.