PDA

View Full Version : stroganoff

joycenalex
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
any PT-er got a recipie they can share? mine has hidden itself really well. thanks

lvpets2002
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
:) Nope I dont have one.. But when one is posted then I will be willing to try it.. Oh how I love good stroganoff..

Karen
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Sorry, no recipe I can vouch for, as I am allergic to beef, and garlic, so it's a no-go for me. I bet Fanny Farmer has a good one, though, if you've got one around!

joycenalex
07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Beef stroganoff with sirloin.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
•1 1/2 to 2 pounds top sirloin roast, trimmed
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons butter or margarine
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
•1 cup beef bouillon or broth
•1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
•3 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
Preparation:
Cut beef into narrow 2-inch long strips about 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan. Blend in flour; gradually stir in beef broth, stirring and cooking until thickened and smooth. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; quickly brown meat strips and onion on all sides. Add meat and onions to beef sauce. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes; stir in sour cream and heat through but do not boil. Serve over buttered noodles or rice.
Serves 4.

joycenalex
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Ingredients

6 Tbsp butter
1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 2 1/2-inch long strips
1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
1 cup of sour cream at room temperature 1 Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the strips of beef. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown the beef, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches. While cooking the beef, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.

2 In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.
3 In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms.

4 Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce (or not). Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately over egg noodles, fettucine, potatoes, or rice. (Potatoes, rice, and gluten-free pasta are gluten-free options.)

Serves 4.

Pinot's Mom
07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I have to tell you, this is one of my FEW specialties in cooking. I have sworn by the Joy of Cooking Beef Stroganoff recipe for 25 years, using an ancient electric skillet, and it's ALWAYS good. The recipe here is updated, but I'm sure it will suit just fine.

BEEF STROGANOFF
Note: Numbers refer to pages in the cookbook. Many of the recipes can be found online by using our search feature.
4 to 6 servings
Cut into thin 2 x 1⁄ 4-inch strips:
2 pounds fillet of beef, top loin, or sirloin tip
Season with:
Salt and black pepper to taste
Heat in a large skillet over medium-high heat:
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
Add the meat in batches, cooking just until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and melt in skillet:
3 tablespoons butter
Add and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes:
1 onion or 2 shallots, chopped
Add, and cook, stirring, until the liquid the mushrooms release evaporates, about 8 minutes:
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
Add:
2 cups beef broth or stock
(2 tablespoons Cognac)
Simmer about 10 minutes, then stir in:
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and black pepper to taste
Add any accumulated juices from the cooked meat.
Simmer—do not boil—until the meat is heated through but still medium-rare, about 2 minutes. Stir in, if desired;
(2 tablespoons chopped dill)
Serve immediately, with:
Fresh egg noodles

Catty1
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Karen, I just got out my copy of the Fannie Farmer cookbook - a facsimile - and there's not a stroganoff listed! darn!

Unless they called it something else in 1896 - but I have gone through the beef section, also the 'dishes for the chafing dish' department, found a recipe for noodles on p 131 - but no stroganoff!

The ones above sound yummy...I may give it a go one of these days!:)

lvpets2002
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
:) Ok the recipes sound good.. So now when is it to be served?? :D