PDA

View Full Version : Can You Swim?

Karen
07-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I am always surprised when I meet people who say "Oh, I can't swim." Growing up, we were all taught that just as a matter of course. It wasn't an option, it was just something one did, and we spent time swimming in the summer in local ponds.

So, can you swim? When did you learn? If not, why not? Do you maybe live in a desert where there is no real opportunity to swim? It mystifies me!

Queen of Poop
07-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Can't swim. Won't even take a bath. Showers only for this girl.

caseysmom
07-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I voted yes, I don't even remember learning I just always seemed to swim. I made sure both my kids could swim from a young age since we built a pool, I think anybody should know how to swim, its just a safety thing.

Sonia59
07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I can swim (learned at school) but I did not practice a lot and I am easily scared. It's OK in a swimming pool but in the sea I stay next to the shore.

I would love to learn and swim well though. Perhaps if I would swim better, I wouldn't be scared of water. I fully agree it's a safety thing.

In my bath, no problem :D

pomtzu
07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I swim, and like you Karen, it surprises me how many people can't. :(

Growing up along the shore - it was just something we all did naturally. I was quite young, and learned to swim in Narragansett Bay, since we were always out on Dad's boat. I also did a lot with friends in the summer, since we lived right by a pond.

When my kids were growing up, we had a big above ground pool, and they were taught to swim there. I believe everyone should learn to swim - even if it's only enough to just get by. You never know when it might save your life in an unexpected emergency. Even folks that don't live near water, can still take swimming lessons at the Y.

kuhio98
07-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I can't remember NOT knowing how to swim. Seems like I've just always done it. But, when I was about 9, my Mom did enroll us kids in swimming lessons. We already knew how, but she wanted us to learn lifesaving skills, etc.

My Mom is deathly afraid of water. She even hates getting her face wet in the shower. When I mom was very little, her older sister fell off a horse and drowned. :( Mom made sure all her kids could swim.

Scooter's Mom
07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Mom had us take swimming lessons each summer when we were little. Mostly so we were out of her hair for a little while during the day, I think. :) However, she wanted to make sure we knew the basics since we lived around water. I love being in the water... and while I don't use my swim techniques that I learned way back then, I can float for hours! LOL

I'm a floater... have always loved floating around. As long as I don't panic, I can literally float all day.

Casper
07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I come from a family of river rats. Knowing how to swim is a requirement.
My sister and I had to take swimming lessons as soon as we were old enough. I hated them at the time, but I am now very glad I was taught to swim at a young age.

happylabs
07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I can float - LOL! I was the youngest of 5 kids. Somehow, no one ever taught me, or, I was maybe scared so they didn't make me. Yes, I was SPOILED! :D

I did learn the basics later on in life.

Anyway, I do love the water, pools, ocean, etc. However, I am very careful and don't go in the deep end much. I am not a strong swimmer.

My husband (ex now) and I did make sure both of our kids could swim. He was actually a life guard in high school and college.

lizbud
07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I do ok in a pool, but wouldn't swim in a river.One thing I never learned
was how to dive.:o I took my kids to swimmimg lessons & they both love
the water.

Grace
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, I swim. And as a couple others have said, I can't remember when I didn't know how.

Grew up in Rhode Island, and went to the beach all the time. Lots of lake swimming in New England, also.

aTailOf2Kitties
07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
yes and no. I can swim if I'm in a pool or something and think to myself "I'm gonna swim to over there". However if I ever get knocked off of a float or trip over my own feet, I instantly turn stupid. I was in a friends pool once and fell off of a float. I was flailing around like crazy thinking I was gonna drown when she grabbed my arm and said "just stand up, dummy!" it was a 4-foot deep pool and I was a 5 foot tall person.:o Honestly I just don't like water much deeper than I am so I stick to the shallows when swimming or keep my butt in the boat!

boomersooner
07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I took lessons all through my childhood, and I guess I learned the strokes once upon a time, but I can't do them now....I'm confident in a pool and in the ocean up to a certain point, but I am not what I would consider a strong swimmer at all....

catnapper
07-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I can't imagine not learning how to swim. Cameron was swimming before he was walking. My whole family was/is like that.

I am a strong swimmer, and it always amazed mom that I had absolutely zero interest in swimming competetively.

sasvermont
07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I took swimming lessons each summer for a few years. The Red Cross would offer the lessons for free. I went from Beginner through Senior Life Saving..... At the time, I hated the obligation but am glad now that we were given the opportunity to learn how to save a life - maybe our own.

I still have my first button (given out at the end of each level)...... and I would wear it to work when I worked for the law firm .... just to kill them a little. They thought I was nuts for wearing it.... like... "How stupid, a Beginner Swimmer Button"..... but I did it just to let the attorneys know that it was OK to be human.

I don't know why I have only that button....and not the others..... oh well.

So, yes, I can swim and would suggest that everyone learn how to swim.
:)

chocolatepuppy
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Yep, I can swim.:cool:

finn's mom
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I can swim, but I can't do strokes of any kind. I doggie paddle or swim like a frog. :) I never learned how to dive. I did take scuba diving lessons when I was about twenty, but only got to dive for a year or so, so it's been about 12 years since I did any diving. I'd have to retake the course, for sure. I have decent endurance, but again, I am not a stylish swimmer. ;)

sirrahbed
07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
I can float, tread, dogpaddle and sort of breast stroke. I grew up with lessons in the summers and lots of pool time but never was very good or coordinated at it - but yes, I guess I would say i can swim:p

Taz_Zoee
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I can swim. I remember learning how to swim, but I don't remember how old I was exactly. I remember we were getting a pool put in our backyard and on vacation once we went to a lake. I remember holding my breath and going under and opening my eyes. That is the first place I ever actually swam, I was so proud.
But yeah, growing up with a pool in the backyard, there was a requirement to swim. Both of my nieces learned how to swim at a young age. My oldest niece HATED it when she was little. The younger one was (and still is) a fish!!!

But a strange this is...when we go snorkeling I panic when I get out in deep water with my face in the water. I have to have a floatation device.

Glacier
07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I am a very strong swimmer. My hubby calls me a fish. I worked as a lifeguard for several summers when I was younger. I learned to scuba dive when we were in Cuba in May. I love being in the water. My Mom is terrified of water, like the Queen of Poop, she won't even take a bath. She made sure her kids knew how to swim very young.

My hubby can swim, is a certified open water diver and is convinced he will die by drowning. He has had a couple near drowning experiences. He does not enjoy swimming at all and his ears are too sensitive to dive anymore!

sumbirdy
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I can't swim. I've tried to learn several times up until I was 9. That year I almost drowned, and I've been too afraid ever since. Nathan is learning to swim this year. My dad is a very strong swimmer and Nathan is doing very well. He loves the water. On his 3rd birthday we took him swimming and he learned to float. But swimming is just not for me. I'll put my feet in the water but that's as far as I'll go.

Edwina's Secretary
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I remember my mother taking me for swimming lessons at Rockford College before I was in grade school. We spent every summer day when it didn't rain (and some when it did) at the swim club when I was a kid.

It was also required to graduate high school.

I am not a lap swimmer but I can certainly swim.

DJFyrewolf36
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Im from the desert and learned how to swim at a very young age. Im glad I did because when I was about 5 I was in northern Ca on a beach and ended up getting caught in an undertow. I managed to swim my way to safety though.

I don't like the water but I have always felt that being prepaired is a good thing!

caseysmom
07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
A little off topic but I am so excited, I went swimming for the first time this year because of the broken foot, it felt so good to move with no crutches or anything, I should have done it sooner but I am just now able to put a little weight on my heel and I wasn't sure how I would get in and out before.

Twisterdog
07-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I LOVE to swim. In fact, it's the only sport I'm good at!

My dad taught me to swim in the pool at our motel when we went to California on vacation. I was probably six or seven.

My mom grew up on a ranch in New Mexico ... a LONG way from any water. She never learned as a child, and it grew to be somthing she was afraid of as time went on. However, she DID learn to swim in my aunt's pool when she was in her 70's. Go Mom!

Karen
07-26-2009, 11:18 PM
I can't swim. I've tried to learn several times up until I was 9. That year I almost drowned, and I've been too afraid ever since. Nathan is learning to swim this year. My dad is a very strong swimmer and Nathan is doing very well. He loves the water. On his 3rd birthday we took him swimming and he learned to float. But swimming is just not for me. I'll put my feet in the water but that's as far as I'll go.

If you and I are ever in the same place in the summer, I bet I could teach you how to at least float, and to swim a little. I am glad Nathan is a good swimmer!

blue
07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Learned to swim as a kid but the best swim instruction I got was for river self rescue and USMC swim quals.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-27-2009, 03:31 AM
I can swim, but not so good! I can swim to the opposite of the swimming pool, but then I am exhausted :D:rolleyes:! I also always have to be sure I am not in deep water; as soon as I cannot touch the ground anymore I just PANIC:eek::eek:........ ; hmmmm, great swimmer hey :D;)

zoey
07-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Yes, I love to swim and was even a lifeguard. I think everyone should learn to swim. It surprises me when i see tips on pool safety for kids, but learning to swim isn't even on the list!:)

Cataholic
07-27-2009, 08:32 AM
I can swim. We grew up with a pool, so it was kind of a requirement, or lose out on a lot of summer fun.

I have this one piece bouyancy suit for J. It has the floaters in the top part and he loves it. I tried once to have him in the pool without, and he sank. :(

Maybe next summer we will look into swimming lessons. I do think it is a life skill one should have- not so much to save another person (as I don't think knowing how to swim means you can save another person from drowning) but, as a way to save yourself.

kokopup
07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I am an OK swimmer. Grew up swimming in pools, lakes, creeks, rivers and Gulf. I should be a excellent swimmer since My father was A Navy Survival Instructor for Pilots. I am self taught and never set foot in a pool with my father until I was grown. I did my best swimming sub-merged and could stay under for close to 4 minutes.

Pinot's Mom
07-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I think I'm the third one to say this in response to this poll...:)

I grew up on Narragansett Bay, I was always on boats, I have always known how to swim. Comes in handy when you grow up jumping off cliffs into Breton Cove, jumping off boats to cool off when there's no wind to fill the sails, bailing out of a boat in general, or being pushed off by your brother! :rolleyes:

kokopup
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I have memories of Narragansett Bay myself but most are not related to swimming. My cottage,located in East Greenwich, actually backed up to the Bay when I was stationed at Quonset Point. The strongest memory is the fact that it was frozen. When salt/brackish water freezes it is cold.

jenluckenbach
07-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I can swim, but I really don't like the water. I used to, but it just doesn't appeal to me any longer.

My husband never learned to swim.

pomtzu
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I have memories of Narragansett Bay myself but most are not related to swimming. My cottage,located in East Greenwich, actually backed up to the Bay when I was stationed at Quonset Point. The strongest memory is the fact that it was frozen. When salt/brackish water freezes it is cold.

Hey - one good thing about that salt/brackish water is, that it's really easy to learn to swim in. I don't know how anyone could do anything but float in that since there's so much salt (and who know what else :eek:), that it's pretty difficult to sink!!! :p
Frozen Bay - wings on your plane folded and frozen - you just didn't want to leave RI - did you??? :D

kokopup
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
In the more than 2 years I lived there I know we had all the seasons. I remember my wife trying to raise some flowers with one of those roll out seed things. Never did see anything blooms. The only season that I really remember was Winter. I guess it's because the one's we had were so severe.

I had a Fiat 600 and lived on the last street in RI to be Snow Plowed. Trying to get my car to the main street was a comedy that couldn't be scripted. I would actually put the car in gear engine running, get it into someone else's tire grooves, then get out and push till it just went into the main street then I would run and jump in. Up until the tires finally hit pavement they would be turning but getting no traction. Quite a sight.

IF God had intended for me to battle the perils of winter, I would not have been born in Alabama. :D

lvpets2002
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
:) Yup I can swim very well.. At one time was a Certified Life Guard.. They have always said I should have been born as a fish.. Just think Pisces the fish is my sign..

AdoreMyDogs
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
You can't even graduate high school in Michigan without taking and passing swim class. I've known how to swim since I was a little girl and if I could swim every day I certainlly would.

Puckstop31
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I can swim well. Had a "Rescue Diver" PADI certification when I lived in Florida during my college years. But it has been like 8 years since I dove. Kinda miss it.

wolf_Q
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Not well...I can doggy paddle the length of a pool that's about it haha. I took swimming lessons as a child but I remember getting shoved under a tube or something at a water park when I was young and it freaked me out. I panic when I can't touch. I wish I could swim well, I still like to mess around in the water, just not water that's too deep for me to touch the ground.

Genny
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I can't swim. I really REALLY want to learn how though cause I LOVE the water. We go to the river once a month and I want to learn how really bad. My brother is 29 and he told me he'd teach me how, but I'm so shy and there's always other people swimming where we go and I feel dorky out there trying to learn in front of all those strangers so I won't really give him a chance to teach me.

Is it hard to learn after you get oldeR??? How long does it usually take to learn? I desperately want to learn how--use to when I was little I didn't want to take swimming lessons. My mom wanted me to but I didn't want to and now I wish I had of, but I didn't so I can't change that now :rolleyes:

kitten645
07-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I too cannot remember NOT swimming. Every summer for years we took lessons. Joined the swim team, water ballet, certified lifeguard etc etc. I will admit to being rusty though. I haven't swum consistently in quite a few years but I bet with practice I would get right back in the "swim" as it were!
I will say I've never wanted to scuba dive. But I think that's more of a claustaphobic thing. I think I like swimming because it keeps me ABOVE water in the AIR! I think I would likely panic if I scuba dove.
Claudia

Karen
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Genny, it shouldn't take more than a lesson or two, and don't be ashamed of learning if there are other people there. They likely won't pay any attention at all to what you folks are doing. And if anyone is, they will be proud of you for learning. It is no harder to learn as an adult than as a child, just don't let fear get in your way and you'll do fine! You're never gonna get any younger, so learn now!

Alysser
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I swim pretty well, I won't say I'm 'excellent' as I've never tried swimming as an actual sport, but I seriously love the water - especially the ocean. I had swimming lessons when we first got our pool, funny thing is I used hate water.

K9karen
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
A very vivid memory is that. at a young age, my folks took the family to a swim club on weekends. Having been in the pool with a lifesaver on all day, and loving it, I must have had a dream about diving off the deep end and swimming all around. Only thing is, that's what I did the next day when I ran ahead of the family. I really did go down for the count when rescued, screaming, kicking. I had some CPR or something, was more embarrased than anything, put on my lifesaver and ran back in.

I try to swim but always sink. I can back float, swim under water.
If my feet don't touch the bottom, I panic. Nobody swam but my dad. OK, :o I think swim lessons are warranted in the future.

Barbara
07-28-2009, 02:47 AM
I can swim but I don't like to swim very much. I like kayaking, sailing etc. and I know from experience I can get out of a kayak after capsizing and come up and be alive ;) but I would not go to a swimming pool to swim length after length. And of course I swim in the sea (if it's a warm enough sea;)) but I would try to stay away from some high surf.

Freedom
07-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Oh yeah, I can swim!

Mom started me at Mom and Tot classes at the Y when I was 2 1/2 years old. Since then, I took lessons, became a life guard, taught swimming, took synchronized swimming and performed in shows for 3 years, and competed on a team.

Oh yeah, I can swim! :D

Logan
07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I miss having the opportunity to swim regularly. I have been swimming since I was 3 years old. Like many of you, I have a mother who never learned to swim and is terrified of water, so it was ultra important to her to have us be good swimmers. She knew she would never be able to save us, herself.
I started swimming competitively when I was 4 years old on the YMCA year round swim team and kept doing it up until high school. I think I took every Red Cross swimming course there was (there were tons of levels, named after fish) and many times I was the only one in the class. I got my Red Cross lifesaving and water safety instruction certification and life guarded one summer and taught swimming lessons from infants to adults. It was great fun, but it was at an indoor pool. Yuck! My friends were getting tan, life guarding at the country club and I was at the YMCA. LOL! I taught swimming lessons one more time right after I graduated from college, part time, in the late afternoons when I got off of work. That was at a YMCA too.

Genny, there are adult swimming classes available at the YMCA, YWCA and country recreation facilities. You should learn in the environment that is most comfortable to you. I wish you were in SC and I would teach you myself!

k9krazee
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I like to think I'm a strong swimmer. I had Lifeguard and had PADI rescue diving training when I was 16.

We have a cabin on the lake that we'd visit during the summer and then when I was about 7 we got a pool. I always wished that I would have gotten into competitive swimming in school. Oh, and in high school everybody has to swim once a week.

smokey the elder
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Everyone in my neighbor had a pool, and we had a YMCA within walking distance. I started taking formal swim classes at 8 and I was already such a strong swimmer they bumped me up a couple ranks! I swam competitively in high school (500m free.) However, I've become sensitized to pool chlorine and can't swim any more...bummer.

Suki Wingy
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Oh me too. Everyone I knew growing up could swim. I've gone through lifeguard training and will be SCUBA certified as soon as I take the open water portion of the test thingy.

Felicia's Mom
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I learned how to swim in high school. I have not done any for a long time though.

ramanth
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
My grandparents owned a cottage on a lake, so I've been in the water since birth.

When we'd visit in the summertime, my sisters and I would race from the car, be in our swimsuits and leaping off the dock before my parents would have the car unpacked. *laughs*

I was in Swim Club in Junior High, but found I enjoyed recreational swimming and water sports more than professional.

I love to swim. :D

RICHARD
07-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Sometimes you feel like sinking right to the bottom....:eek:;)

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid101756.asp

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Italian-Olympic-Swimmer-Flavia-Zoccaris-Swimsuit-Malfunction/Media-Gallery/200907115327970

It's really tough to be the butt of someone's sick jokes.:eek:

MoonandBean
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't even remember learning but we had a nice ingrown pool in my yard growing up and I used to swim laps as exercise. Grew up on LI so I was always in the ocean and diving through the waves. I miss it. Darn...now I need to go plan a trip to the beach :)

CountryWolf07
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I never really learned how to swim, actually. I don't remember learning when I was little. Just never really had the opportunity to! I don't swim much, but I love to lay out in the water though - I get easily scared, though - I almost drowned when I was about 8.

JuniorxMyxLove
07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Absolutely not.

I've tried to learn, I took two years worth of lessons when I was younger. We never made any progress, because it took 1.5 yrs for me to put my head under water, hahaha.

I can kinda stay floating, if I flail my limbs a certain way. But I try to avoid doing so, as it's very odd looking and slightly painful.

this is also why I had so far avoiding taking freshman PE - there's a whole swimming segment... :eek:

kitten645
07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
My/our scariest swiming related situation happened when I was 12 and my sister was 8. We were all fishes and took diving lessons. I was taking a swimming lesson and watched Jackie climb the high dive like she'd done so many times before. As she walked out she mis-steped and fell off sideways :eek::eek:
You heard the whole swimming complex gasp! 100 or more people! Lifeguards dove into the water. Her guardian angel must have given her a shove because she just nicked her leg on the edge of the concrete! :eek: 12 foot high dive! She wailed and carried on with a small cut/bruise but was right back on in a couple of hours! Kids are resilient and fearless.:)
Claudia