PDA

View Full Version : ellie -mae update....

carole
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Most of you know i have been having real problems with my sweet Ellie, since her dental in May, she has chronic gingivitis, and despite many treatments, injections, and steriods, as soon as she came off them, her poor wee mouth is all red and sore again.

Gabe said this is due to an immune problem, and that the normal bacteria in the mouth, for some reason the body reacts to it.

I took her to see Gabe today as i knew things were not good again, i had been keeping a close eye on her eating and her general health, but decided today was the day for that check up, and again her mouth was sore,good news though she has put on weight, she was never skinny, but gabe wanted here up to 4kgs, she is now 4.1.

He gave her two injections,Convenia Inj and Depomedrol(antibotic and pain relief )and we now have to have her on Steriods permanently Prednisone half tablet every second day.She starts those tomorrow.

I was afraid this would be the case, and i know from my research that cats tolerate steroids very well, and that they can get diabetes due to long term use, because they become overweight, i mentioned this to Gabe and he said yes that is right, so we have to monitor her carefully.

Gosh just what i don't need another kitty to medicate, still it is the way it goes, i just have to hope that Ellie will be better and not in so much discomfort,she is happily sleeping in the sun right now enjoying our beautiful warm winters day.

Laura's Babies
07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Awww! Poor Ellie Mae. Let's keep fingers crossed that she makes a turn around and don't have to take those meds long and be well!

Catty1
07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Glad Ellie Mae has gained the weight she needed to - and here's hoping that she will keep her girlish figure and get all better soon, with minimum meds.:):love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I know all about pred because Starr was on this and unfortunately he gained a lot of weight.:( He never became diabetic but he was eating Innova Evo which is a very high protein grain free food so this most likely helped him in that area. Pred will make her very thirsty and hungry. If you free feed her then she'll really gain a lot of weight. Starr wasn't free fed but he gained a lot of water weight and just seemed bloated. I hope that this will medicine will help Ellie Mae. Good luck.

Medusa
07-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Ellie Mae. The Pred will help a lot but everyone is right, she'll gain weight. My Creamsicle is on it and she's really packed it on. I'm concerned about diabetes later on, too, especially w/her being a CH baby but if I take her off the Pred, she loses her hair. We do what we have to do for our furbabies and somehow muddle through. I'm glad that Ellie Mae has put on just a little weight now, though, and hopefully she'll be feeling much better soon.

carole
07-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I am sure that Ellie will have to stay on the pred long term, forever, so that is not so good, i hate the thought of it,and luckily the meds are not too expensive, but with Ash as well it is becoming very hard, and i stress very much about it all, you know the funny thing, is the pred, makes her appetite funny, she is hungry but very fussy, which she never was before, she is only a little cat in stature and i certainly don't want her getting too heavy, her daughter Nikki is too fat now, and of course my Lexie is too,but her's is also due to her special type biscuits which make her fat, as i really ration her, but i have to work on Nikki, she was so under fed and skinny when i got her, and after being spayed and taken care of she has become too fat, she is around 5.1 kg, she should be at least a 1kg lighter.

Yes typical you fix one problem and create another, anyhow let us hope she is going to get better on these meds,she was hard to pill this morning and she is my easy cat to pill, maybe i am loosing my touch lol.