PDA

View Full Version : A distressing comment made to me today about cats

Medusa
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
As I was ringing up my groceries and cat supplies, the checker asked me "How many cats do you have?" "Six", I answered. "Wow, really, six?" I said "I had 8 not too long ago but 2 of them died". "Aaaw" she said, "why do you have so many?" (Funny but I don't think of 6 as being a lot of cats any more.) I answered "They're all rescues w/special needs or that were badly abused or abandoned, special cases you might say". She said "Y'know, they put animals in zoos for people to look at. I don't understand why they don't put cats and dogs in cages for people to look at. "They do", I said, "in rescue agencies and the Humane Society and the pound, etc." She said "No, I mean they should charge admission". I couldn't believe my ears! I said "What kind of life would that be for them? It would be impossible to do anyhow. There are far too many of them. If people would just be responsible and spay/neuter their cats and dogs, the population would greatly diminish". She said "Yeah but they won't so they should use my idea". There was no point in continuing the conversation w/this person. Unbelievable!

Catty1
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I hope SHE was spayed! :rolleyes:

katladyd
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
This just goes to show you there are completely ignorant people in this world. What we need is more owner responsibility. Both my cats are fixed, so there will be no homeless, unwanted kitties coming from my house. Six cats is not "a lot of cats".:rolleyes: It's exactly how many cats you are meant to have. God sent you those babies because He knew you would love and care for them.:love::) If I had a larger home, I'd have six!

PayItForward
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
We have six cats down from eight. I think I lost two, Sandy and Georgie...the world think so many...sigh. You can NEVER replace the cats you have lost...you love the cats you own. :)

Queen of Poop
07-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Clearly this woman is an idiot.

Sorry for being so blunt, but she needs to get her head out of her butt.

I am sorry if she upset you.

moosmom
07-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I have six cats too. That woman sounds like an idiot. Ignore her. Next time someone asks you how many you have, lie. It's not worth the aggravation listening to someone like that ramble on.

Laura's Babies
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
PLEASE tell me this was NOT in a Pet Store! :rolleyes:

Medusa
07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
PLEASE tell me this was NOT in a Pet Store! :rolleyes:

Noooo. I don't go to pet stores except Pet Supplies Plus for supplies. This was in my grocery store. I'm still shaking my head.

momcat
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Oh Mary, what a horrible thing for that person to say! Obviously she has never known the love and companionship we are so fortunate to know from our precious kitties. But there's no doubt in my mind that's a good thing for kitties considering the attitude. Once I did our grocery shopping after work and of course got Groucho some food, treats, and a few new toys. Fortunately there were no shoppers behind me on the check out line. The young lady at the register wanted to know all about my little guy then said she'd love to get a kitty companion of her own but didn't know how to find one. I suggested she visit a shelter and let a homeless sweetie adopt her then told her to join us here. I haven't seen her since and wonder how it played out.

Medusa
07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
At the same grocery store several months ago, the man who was bagging my groceries said to me "You sure do spoil your cats. Where do your cats think all this food comes from?" :confused::confused::confused: I said "Um, I've never asked them". And why does he consider them spoiled? Because I feed them? :eek:

katladyd
07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Some poor, unfortunate, people have never loved, or been loved, by a cat.:eek: You really have to pity them.:(

Don Juan's mom
07-22-2009, 09:38 PM
It sounds a little like a story I heard about a zoo in Ecuador (somewhere in South America, anyway, which had an ordinary bulldog among its exhibits, labeled "Bulldog, North America."

blue
07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
[EDITED]

As far as spaying of humans go Ill post that in the P&R thread in the DH post #1243.

kitten645
07-23-2009, 12:44 AM
"Some poor, unfortunate, people have never loved, or been loved, by a cat. You really have to pity them."

I absolutely agree. I really feel sorry for those that have not experienced the joy of bonding and loving an animal. What a huge hole they have and don't even know it! You can't idiot-proof the world so just let it roll off you and focus your energy on your lovely posse.
You know what REALLY pisses me off? No one would ever think of SAYING to a person...How many KIDS do you have? Answer: Six. Reply: Why so many? :mad: I mean honestly I wonder what goes thru peoples heads? She doesn't KNOW you. SHe doesn't KNOW your life and your cats. It's just plain rude. People need to learn some manners.
Claudia

carole
07-23-2009, 03:50 AM
When i tell people i have four, they usually are very nice about it, and think it pretty amazing i have that many, i do think myself having four is a lot,but then i was used to ever only having one or two kitties, Ah PT sure showed me the errors of my ways lol.

Was a thoughtless comment though wasn't it? some people just don't think before they open their mouths,maybe one day she will learn a valuable lesson in life when a precious furbaby comes in to her life and takes her heart,lock ,stock and barrel, until then she probably will think just as she does now,let us hope that happens, as it will change her life forever and for the better, i think it sad that some people do not have the capacity to love an animal and to feel the love in return, they sure don't know what they are missing out on.

GILL
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
All I can do is feel sorry for a preson like that.

catmandu
07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I have read that there are Coffee Shops in Japan where they show off Pure Bred Exotiic Cats like Savannahs and Toygers in glass pens. The Cats can come and go as they please and people can marvel at thier beauty.
That sounds a lot better than a zoo, as the customers can spoil the Cats with shrimps and other treats!
Wouldnt I love to bring over AWA Mice!!!
:love::love::love:

lvpets2002
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
:confused: Such a Oxcy Moron she was.. I think I would have said how about putting you in a cage for awhile & see if people will pay to see you.. Yup Candace I sure hope she is spayed.. :rolleyes:
I hope SHE was spayed! :rolleyes:

Lizzie
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't want to imagine the type of home she came from, and I also feel sorry for her but at the same time horrified. In your place I'd hope to remember to tell her about the old "Twilight" television series episode where a human ends up in a zoo cage on an alien world. That episode still gives me the shivers.

I do get that question quite often when I stock up at Petsmart. My response is always "I bulk buy because I hate shopping" - which is very true, but I'm also buying for 15 cats (includes 7 fosters), something I'm not going to mention. When I shop at Mud Bay Granary for the good cat supplies, they are happy to talk to me about all my cats and gather around for an update on sick fosters.

kimlovescats
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Poor, clueless individual!:(

pomtzu
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Young and stupid, obviously. I can just picture her chomping on a wad of gum while she's spewing these idiotic statements. I'll say no more.......:mad:

Carol Bulger
07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
I would have replied to her "Would you put your "children" in a zoo???????
Some people just don't have a brain!

lvpets2002
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
:rolleyes: You know I will bet the girl would have said yes.. Sad isnt it the way people think these days..
I would have replied to her "Would you put your "children" in a zoo???????
Some people just don't have a brain!

astrid
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
There's a saying in spanish that goes something like: "the noisiest people are the emptiest" (la gente más ruidosa es la más vacía)
Clearly that woman doesn't know what ANY love is; someone who loves and respects his/herself, loves and respect others and she was direspectful to you.. God bless her :(

A big hug to you Mary, forgive that poor woman.
Lots kisses to your cats:love:

Freedom
07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Not sure whether to shake my head or laugh. DEAR GOOD LORD, where do you find these poor souls to put in our lives? :rolleyes: Sometimes they are so far out it is too much to even BEGIN on educating them.

I never know what to say when folks ask me why I have so many (because I don't like cats? Because I can't stand fluffy white small dogs?).

Don't worry, Mary, you are among fellow pet nuts here on PT.

cassiesmom
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Some poor, unfortunate, people have never loved, or been loved, by a cat.:(

What Macgyver's Mom said!

It doesn't sound like that cashier had all of her brain cells. I wonder what she'd say if the Octomom came through her line?

Give your six special kitties some great big hugs and snuggles from me because they have a very special meowmie!

Don Juan's mom
07-23-2009, 10:03 PM
You know what REALLY pisses me off? No one would ever think of SAYING to a person...How many KIDS do you have? Answer: Six. Reply: Why so many? :mad:

Take it from the oldest of nine siblings: People do ask that.

Liz

katladyd
07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
People can be rude and ignorant on many fronts.:rolleyes:

catmandu
07-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Its a sad lack of manners all right!
I was told by my Dear Mother to be polite at all times, to never say something that might upset someone!:):):)

Genny
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I can't blieve she said that. How sad! 6 cats isn't a lot. We have 5 cats right now. 2 of them are kittens and the other 3 are adults. ;)