PDA

View Full Version : going to the dog pound today...

carole
07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Some of you will remember a very recent post, my friend Jane suddenly lost her dog Duke.

Well today we are both going to the dog pound, and i am going to help her choose another dog, she has already been and is quite keen on two of them there, i will get to see Lacey, who is 9mths old and was owned by an elderly man who hit her every time she barked ,so sad, she is quite timid and there is a gorgeous wee black lab puppy.

My friend may be getting two dogs, one at the pound and one she will choose online, her hubby who is overseas, gave her the go ahead and suggested getting two, so that is great news.

I am quite excited and will take my camera with me, i have never been to the dog pound before, part of me is a bit wary, as i know my heart will be left there with some of them,but still it will be good knowing at least one or two of them will be finding a wonderful home with Jane.

So wish me luck, keep you all posted and hopefully have some pics.

MoonandBean
07-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Hooray for your friend!!! If you can bring some treats with you, it might make your visit a little less sad (for the ones left behind) knowing that you are bringing a little joy (in the form of treats and visits) to them for a few minutes and feeding their bellies :)

can't wait to see the pics!!

kimlovescats
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
:DWhat a fun adventure! ENJOY! Can't wait to meet the new lucky one(s).

Laura's Babies
07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I remember you posting about her dog passing away. A new one will help fill the void left in her heart. Happy hunting and hold on to your heart!

carole
07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes indeed for Jane that is how it is, she did not want to wait, in fact she was waiting until hubby came back from overseas, but he gave her the go ahead, it was a wonderful experience today, and it was not the pound, i got it wrong it was the SPCA,anyhow i met Lassie as she is called, she is a real sweetie, lovely nature and they had a meet and greet with Taz her daughters young dog, who is often at Janes' house, it went very well, i can see they will be great buddies,not sure how she is with cats though, so hoping she will be ok.

They will do a property check today or tomorrow and if all checks out, which is should, Lassie will be going to a wonderful home in the country side,she will be given so much love and the best of care,I am so happy for her.

She will have a new name though, not sure what it will be, now i have a pic, but have to wait till hubby gets home, i never know where to plug the camera cable into which part of the computer and i dare not guess, so get ready to meet this sweet girl soon.

I did not have any treats with me,but i left a small donation at the SPCA today,every little bit helps.

I also have some gorgeous pics of Harvey the kitten Jane found at the furniture shop a little while back, he has grown so much, and he and Taz the dog get on so great together, so hang on in there everyone, some cute pics coming soon.

ok folks check these out.

Laura's Babies
07-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Goodie! Goodie! She found one (or one found her)! Another happy ending for a shelter baby. So, did they bring Lassie to her house or she took Taz to meet her? I think that was a really neat thing, to have them meet since they will be spending time together.

How long will the home check take and how soon will that new family member get to come to her new forever home? What a happy homecoming that will be for Lassie and her new family!

kimlovescats
07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
YAY for Lassie! Love the pics of Taz and Harvey!

carole
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
we had Taz in the back of the car, so we took him over to meet Lassie, she was very interested in him, he was a little , but they were super friendly, it was lovely to see, Lassie had been playing with another male dog at the shelter, he was really sweet and friendly too,but happy to say he already has a home.

Jane is just waiting for the SPCA inspector to come out to her house and do the check, i cannot see that she would not pass, living in rural area, with fencing, gates, and already having dogs, but it is good to see that they do this, and don't just give them to anyone not suitable,so hopefully today, fingers and all paws crossed.

I know seeing Taz and Harvey together just melted my heart, they really adore each other, of course Taz is a young dog and you have to watch he does not play a bit rough some times,but yes they are the best of mates it appears, so let us hope Lassie likes kitties, otherwise it would not work out, so keep positive thoughts for this wee girl to have found her new forever home.

I am really excited, you would think i was getting her, it is just i know what a great pet owner Jane is and how this little girl deserves such a fine home, and she is one of the very lucky ones.

Grace
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I love that the SPCA does a home check.

carole
07-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes me too, and if people want a puppy and are at work all day, they say no to them as well.,still waiting for contact, now news yet.

carole
07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Lassie is going to her new home on Saturday, YAHOO, so happy, she is such a loving sweet , gentle girl, and so deserves this home after living with that old man who hit her every time she barked or did not do as she was told.

I think she may be come a Greta, one name Jane is thinking of calling her, but will decide later for sure, will let you know how she is going in her new place and all the news.

Another great thing the SPCA will not let you adopt a dog if you tie them up, and also same thing goes with goats, i think that is so great, they really do make sure their animals go to good homes,so many people are just so ignorant about animals needs.

So great to post such a happy post.

K9karen
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Me too! Me too! I LOVE happy threads and warm, smushy endings.

Hooray for Jane and Lassie/Greta. (fyi..Logan was a Rocky and when I still say it, she cringes:() Do I remember correctly that he hubby OK'd 2 dogs? How old is she? Of course it doesn't matter, but I see GSD..maybe not..anyway I can't wait for an update and pictures when she comes permantly HOME! Woo!

The SPCA didn't go to my house. Instead they called my vet for a reference. I still tale Logan over for a visit now and then and they can't believe the difference. Yay for good, loving homes!

carole
07-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Well she will be in her new home now, will give Jane a ring later and see how she settled in, she is a german shepherd, huntaway cross ,about nine months old, so can be easily trained,i sure hope she likes kitties ok though.

Greta is not a definite name, so if you all want to give some suggestions for names , i can pass them on to Jane.

phesina
07-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Hooray! Welcome home, Lassie/Greta/???

carole
07-25-2009, 10:13 PM
You will all be happy to know Greta, and yes it seems it is going to be Greta, has settled in well, and does not appear to worry about cats, Harvey the kitten was not impressed with her arrival though, hissing and spitting , all the size of him lol, but he will get used to her.

Jane say's she needs a lot of work, she really knows very little commands ,and Taz has been trying to dominate her, but he is only there now and then, Taz will probably go back during the week, as Jane wants to concentrate on Greta,you have to speak gentle to her and not raise your voice as she is very timid.

Apparently the elderly chap got her from the SPCA as a pup, kept her for nine months, and then decided her could not cope with her, Nice, NOT,still she is in a much better home now and that is the main thing.

phesina
07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
So nice to learn how well Greta is settling in!

carole
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep Greta is doing good, Jane is bonding well with her and she is obeying commands already,so looks like things are going very well indeed.