PDA

View Full Version : For Anna66 and others; My Garden

Freedom
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Finally got to take some pics. Anna's is so neat, nice rows, no weeds. I don't know how she does that, lol, she does a GREAT job. Here is my messy veggie garden.

The far end has one cuke (there are small ones on there!), one zucchini and all the tomato plants.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July21veggarden003Small.jpg

The tomatos are in too close together, I'll have to spread them out more next year. We've had 2 zucchini already, this was the first one, last week:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July17024Small.jpg

I cook it just as Anna showed hers, breaded and fried, YUM! That one took us 2 days to work through. Just picked this one, will start cooking it later today.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July21veggarden007Small.jpg

Next in my garden is the area which had the radishes, now it has sunflowers (to attract bees) and edible-pod peas, along with more zucchini plants (these are smaller as they went in 3 weeks later than the other one):
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July21veggarden004Small.jpg

And the far end has: lettuce -- Red Salad Bowl and Green Salad Bowl, Swiss chard, and my herbs: parsley, Winter savory, green basil and red / bronze basil.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July21veggarden005Small.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/2009/July%2021%20veg%20garden/July21veggarden006Small.jpg

I do those lettuce varieties, they are NO head lettuce. Rather, they are "cut and come again" types, so I don't need to keep replanting lettuce all summer and Fall.
That's it!

lvpets2002
07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
:) Well I think its a nice garden.. Looks good..

phesina
07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks pretty nice to me, Sandie. Yum!

Freedom
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
The catnip is in a flower bed. I dry that myself.

RICHARD
07-21-2009, 09:21 PM
A tip for making zucchini?

I love it steamed, so I grab the basics, zucchini, tomato, onion, carrots-you can add some broccoli or cauliflower too! It's basically any kind of veggies you may have?

Chop every thing to about the same size-and place into your steamer, cook for about 15-20 minutes or until it's the the way you like it!

You can squeeze a lemon over it or put lemon pepper and butter on it!

Paremesan cheese is a good topper or any shredded white cheese is better.

Start with one or two seasonings and go from there!

Another GREAT way to eat zucchini is grab a piece of stew meat, brown in a skillet and toss it into a crock pot, add a couple of beef bullion cubes and water to cover the meat then start the CP.

Grab your veggies- zucchini, a small can of stewed maters or two med ones, chopped. Carrots, a half an onion, two celery stalks chopped......salt and pepper too!

Add the carrots, celery and onion, first and cook a few hours, add the zucchini and maters about 1 hour before the dish is finished.

It's about a 4-5 hour cooking time and you have to keep your eye on the amount of water you have in the pot.....don't add too much and you get a nice thick stew or if you like it soupier? add a tad more water.

Have fun with your garden!

caseysmom
07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
It looks like a little slice of heaven to me.

anna_66
07-22-2009, 03:46 AM
I think your garden looks great! Thanks so much for sharing yours. I love to see what other peoples look like.

And as for the weeds, Mark is using some kind of tool (have no idea of what it is). Says it works awesome. I'll try and get a picture for you.

I have some of the same lettuce and love that you just cut it and it grows back. Tried the head stuff...didn't turn out so great.

Sunflowers, we have TONS of them! Didn't know that other people had them in their gardens too:D

Don't ya just love the taste of garden veggies? I'll hate when it over:(

PS We had grilled zucs last night, not too bad!

Sonia59
07-22-2009, 05:09 AM
A tip for making zucchini?

I love it steamed, so I grab the basics, zucchini, tomato, onion, carrots-you can add some broccoli or cauliflower too! It's basically any kind of veggies you may have?

I also like them steamed and very simple cooked. I use a pressure cooker (I don't know if you are familiar with it, it's very common in France). I cut zucchini into small cubes (slices also possible of course), I put them in the cooker and I add lemon thyme on it. I cook for 3-5 mins. That's it. When you remove the thyme, the vegetables have just caught the herbs's perfume.
Very healthy too! :)

I also like them cut into very thin slices in a pan with two spoons of olive oil and garlic. When the cooking is almost finished, you add an egg, mix and cook 5 more mins.

I love them in a ratatouille two.

RICHARD
07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I also like them steamed and very simple cooked. I use a pressure cooker (I don't know if you are familiar with it, it's very common in France). I cut zucchini into small cubes (slices also possible of course), I put them in the cooker and I add lemon thyme on it. I cook for 3-5 mins. That's it. When you remove the thyme, the vegetables have just caught the herbs's perfume.
Very healthy too! :)

I also like them cut into very thin slices in a pan with two spoons of olive oil and garlic. When the cooking is almost finished, you add an egg, mix and cook 5 more mins.

I love them in a ratatouille two.

I will try your Olive Oil recipe!

I am afraid of pressure cookers!:eek:

Sonia59
07-23-2009, 03:45 AM
I will try your Olive Oil recipe!

I am afraid of pressure cookers!:eek:

Well, I think it's a French thing, isn't it? ;) We use it a lot. It saves a lot of time, energy (I mean electricity or gas) and the vegetables keep their original taste. And completely safe too :)

Let me know if you need more details for the recipe.

Killearn Kitties
07-23-2009, 04:09 AM
It all looks mouth-watering! Great job.

Freedom
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
There are some great recipes to try, in this thread -- thanks for sharing them!