PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel With Baby

finn's mom
07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Any suggestions on how to help make the flight pleasant for baby, me and the other passengers? :)

Clara will be around 4 or 5 months old if and when we fly to South Carolina. It's a short flight, less than 3 hours.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Lyra and I flew to Iowa (2 hour flight) when she was 2 months old. She ended up sleeping the entire flight both ways! I think she liked the noise in the cabin. Also, the plane was a small one (2 seats on each side) and I learned that if you sit on one side of the cabin with a baby (if you are looking to the front of the aircraft, it is on the left side), you will get your own (2) seats if there is room because of the weight distribution.

We are flying again this Saturday and I know the flight won't be quite as easy, because Lyra doesn't sleep as much and she will be too excited to want to nap! I'm hoping that staying awake in the airport will tire her enough to sleep on the plane. I'm going to try the same tactics we use when we go to movies... keep her entertained with quiet singing and whispering in her ear, bouncing, letting her stand in my lap, etc. She also really likes to people watch so I'm hoping that will keep her entertained for a while too. I'll let you know what works (and what doesn't) for us when we get back!

Also, her pediatrician said she could have a little bit of Tylenol 15 minutes before we boarded for her ears, and that sucking on a pacifier if she is awake can help during take off and landing.

finn's mom
07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Jill, thank you! It's looking like this is a done deal! I can't believe it, I'm so excited already! David's even hoping to come with us, but for only part of the trip (she and I will be there for about 10 days). I've done a little reading online, and I'm feeling like this will be something we can make happen, in a pleasant way. Of course, it all comes down to what Clara is like and what she wants to do that day. ;) Thank you again for the advice and good luck on YOUR trip!

carole
07-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Kari i have no experience in this field,but i just found out you have called your baby girl Clara, i must have missed that thread, not long until she enters your world, and then your life will change forever, for the better.

My mother traveled all the way from Scotland to New Zealand, when i was just six months old and my sister four, it took three days with a stop over, imagine that,and the first time she had ever seen diapers as you americans call them, we call them nappies here,they did not even have disposables in NZ for some time after that.

Hey good luck with your proposed trip and of course the birth of your beautiful baby girl, i am excited for you.

Pembroke_Corgi
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm sure your trip will be great! Even if Clara decides that she hates flying I think most people won't mind- people love babies! (One time I was at the post office and Lyra was being cranky, and this older man who I wouldn't have expected to be a fan of a crying baby started talking to her so she stopped! I've found that even strangers will act silly to entertain your baby).

I can't wait till we go because Lyra has changed so much since my family last saw her she's like a different baby. We are doing the same thing- Lyra and I will be there for 2 weeks, but my husband will only be there 5 days (and then we will get to see his family, too). I'm looking forward to the return flight more since Eric will be there to help keep her entertained. :)

carole
07-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Just to re-assure you my best friend just flew to Sydney about a three hour flight with her 8mth old baby, she said he traveled really well, just said you have so much stuff to take with you, is the main problem.

beeniesmom
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm having the same question. I asked the pediatrician at our 'meet the mommy to be' appointment. He said that 2 months is ok for domestic and 4, or even better, 6 months for international travel.

boomersooner
07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
We flew with our kids when they were little....our doctor told us to give them some decongestant before the flight as it helped with the ear pressure....sort of like when we chew gum....Also, a pacifier or a bottle on takeoffs and landings helps.....hopefully, she will sleep.....it really isn't bad., she'll do fine!!!

finn's mom
07-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone! I think what I'd like to try to do is nurse her during takeoff and landing, if she's hungry. I will have pacifiers just in case, and we'd heard about nasal spray to help with the ear pressure, and the decongestant. So, as we get closer to the day (which is December 5th, David just bought the ticket!), we'll figure out what we will take as a back up plan. ;)

I am so excited, my mom and I both feel like we've already celebrated Christmas! I will be there for my Dad's birthday, too, which is awesome!

And, Carole, I didn't make a thread about it, but I did mention that we'd chosen her name in the "pregnancy thread." :) And, there are photos of the personalized decal on the wall in her room already in that same thread. :)

prechrswife
07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
We flew with Katherine when she was 4 months old. I think the basics have been covered, but the main thing is something to help with her ears on take-off and landing. Nursing or pacifiers should work well--if she will take a pacifier. Just some practical things--make sure you take more diapers than you think you need, and a couple of changes of clothes for the baby. I can't tell you how many times I had to change Mary Joyce's clothes on the flight home from China. (That was a much longer trip, of course.) Also, put an extra shirt for you in your carry-on in case of spit-up, etc. When our girls were little, we used the snugli for getting around in airports. It works great, and easily fits into the overhead compartment on the plane. If you prefer to use a stroller, you can check it at the gate when you board, and they will have it there for you when you get off the plane.

AdoreMyDogs
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I flew with Quinn a few times and the best advice is to nurse during takeoff and landing. I didn't have any problems any of the times we flew with Quinn. Good luck! I can't wait to see pics of Clara! I bet you are just crazy excited :)

joycenalex
07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
i'd like to suggest something i saw that i thought was really smart....babies use diapers,and that can sometimes be...smelly... and this very smart lady brought extra empty plastic bags to wrap the used diaper up so the plane cabin wouldn't smell like used diapers and the flight attendant seemed suprised that the mother had it wrapped up before the FA could get there to pick it up. check out www.flyingwithkids.com.

joycenalex
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
oh yeah, some airlines will let parents and kids board first so get there early enough to make nice with the gate staff and they can see how adorable she is so you can get set up before the rest of the plane does