07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
....so what is the difference? curiously, joyce

kuhio98
07-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Absolutely no clue. :confused:

Come on Pt'ers..... Somebody out there must know. :D

Taz_Zoee
07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, they look the same to me. But here is what wikipedia says about them.

A crumpet ( krʌmpɪt (help·info)) is a savoury/sweet bread snack made from flour and yeast. It is eaten mainly in the United Kingdom, but also in the other nations of the Commonwealth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

A muffin (US: English muffin), also known as a hot muffin, or a breakfast muffin, is a round, yeast-leavened form of bread almost always dusted with cornmeal. It may be eaten at breakfast in North America and Australia, but may be served as an afternoon meal in England.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_(English)

It looks like a crumpet has a sweetness to it while an English Muffin is just bread.

Maybe other PTers with some actual experience with both can enlighten us. :D

sirrahbed
07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Funny to see this because this week I bought crumpets! I do not know how they really compare but I noticed that the crumpet was softer and sweeter than my usual english muffin. The texture was more like a pancake or muffin I think, and it did not toast up crispy. Also it did not have the cornmeal dusting I am used to. Now, I will be curious to know what the difference rally is by someone who knows!! It tasted yummy though!:)

Freedom
07-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Yup, Deb got it. I buy both at the market, the crumpets are lighter, fluffier, not as dense. So they hold melted butter, jam, etc and soak it up more!

Both are YUMMY!!!

Medusa
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I've always called English muffins crumpets but I didn't know there was a difference until just a little while ago when I saw crumpets in the dairy section at my supermarket. I was going to buy some but didn't. Now I have to. ;)

carole
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Well I buy both regularly in my weekly groceries, down under they are completely different, in looks and taste. I have one of each in fridge and freezer right now.

A crumpet is an airy type product with a hard base, they are 99 per cent fat free, and i just pop them in the toaster, with a bit of jam on them, yummy, probably my lunch today.

Crumpets can be toasted too of course and used for other things, like mini pizzas, they are much more solid and come in different flavours, like spice and fruit,cheese etc,they are 98 per cent fat free,they do have similar ingredients in them, but they taste completely different.

They are both delicious and fit in with my WW very nicely.

pomtzu
07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Where's all our U.K. friends? Isn't tea and crumpets an English thing?

I always thought they were kind of like a cross between and muffin and a bagel, and sweet.

But then - what do I know? Obviously nothing about crumpets! :eek: :p

RICHARD
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Now, who remembers the Australian Toaster Biscuits?:D

kitten645
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
They are quite different. I thiink English muffins more like bread and crumpets more like a dessert. It's harder to find crumpets here than it is to find English Muffins. I LOVE them both being the carbaholic I am! LOL! Crumpets are usually in the refridgerated aisle here where as English muffins are with the bread. Now I'm Jonesing some crumpets...putting on the grocery list for this week! :cool:
On the same note, I just found out the difference between Seltzer and Club soda...Seltzer is natural..club soda is man made. Who Knew?

carole
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Actually crumpets are not seen as a dessert here at all, however i must tell you i love them with jam on them and some ice cream, oh heaven.

They certainly do not taste anything the same or even look alike.

joycenalex
07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
yesterday afternoon, i had a crumpet and 1/2 of a thomas english muffin( thomas is the company name, i didn't get the name of the crumpet company before i threw the bag in the trash). both were toasted, both buttered, both had blackberry preserves on them. they both soaked up the butter in the numerous little holes on the top surface very similarly, and while the crumpet was a buttermilk based carb, and the english muffin was plain (gonna make english muffin pizzas for dinner with helena later this week). in my opinion, they both tasted very much alike, but i liked the tooth feel and buttermilk taste slightly more for a breakfast or afternoon snack. the crumpets were slightly more dense bread like in their texture, but only slightly. maybe different brands would make a difference, however i enjoy both, carbs! YUM

Barbara
07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-cru1.htm

This link really goes deep into the discussion- after all the crumpet seems to be a part of English culture that we all outisde cannot understand ;)

carole
07-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I think the muffins and crumpets you have in the USA must be different to ours, they don't even look alike apart from both being round and they sure taste very different indeed.

Whatever they taste ooh so good, having crumpets for lunch today,my daughter is a very fussy eater, that is one thing she simply loves, ate four of them for afternoon tea yesterday, and i am sure she would have eaten the whole packet had i let her lol.however she is not a muffin fan, so they obviously taste real different.

The English have some wonderful eating customs, that we in NZ seemed to have adopted, mainly because most of us all came from there originally anyhow, when our ancestors emigrated,apart from our Maori people who have their own cultures and food.,one being Maori bread, now that is yumm, fattening but yummy.

Pinot's Mom
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
In my experience: crumpets-single slice,not meant to be split, sweeter, lots of holes, smoother texture. english muffins-harder bottom, meant to be split, henceforth crumblier texture in the middle.

Medusa
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
:)I just had a crumpet w/butter and red raspberry preserves w/my tea. YOWZA, was that ever yummy! I like them waaaay better than English muffins. Love the texture, the sweetness. Just oh so good. If you haven't tried a crumpet yet, you don't know what you're missing. As a matter of fact, be right back. I'm gonna go have another one.

pomtzu
07-22-2009, 03:22 PM
:)I just had a crumpet w/butter and red raspberry preserves w/my tea. YOWZA, was that ever yummy! I like them waaaay better than English muffins. Love the texture, the sweetness. Just oh so good. If you haven't tried a crumpet yet, you don't know what you're missing. As a matter of fact, be right back. I'm gonna go have another one.

OK - now I'm gonna have to try them. I've got both strawberry and peach preserves in the fridge to top them. Do they get toasted or not? I'll pass on the tea tho. Bllaahhhh! :eek: YUK!!

carole
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Well it is English Muffin day today for me, all the yummy crumpets are gone, i am not sure which i prefer , i really like them both, and enjoy the change, i usually don't have both in the house at the same time, but there was a special on crumpets this week, 2 pkts for $2.50 so i grabbed them, the muffins were on special too at $2.49., i love my muffins with poached egg on them, the only way to eat poached eggs, toast is a has been, never again.

Medusa
07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
OK - now I'm gonna have to try them. I've got both strawberry and peach preserves in the fridge to top them. Do they get toasted or not? I'll pass on the tea tho. Bllaahhhh! :eek: YUK!!

Toasted. As for the tea, I was known as the "tea lady", especially by my mum. Then I got an infection in my jaw 9 years ago and a terribly high fever, lost 15 lbs. in 3 days (why can't that happen now?) and the taste of tea gagged me. I hated it after that until just recently. I decided to try a cup again and I'm back to loving it. I was doing pretty well on my diet this week, too, until those crumpets tempted me. Ah well, at least I enjoyed them. (she says as she smacks her lips)

pomtzu
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Mary - exactly why I can't even smell tea without practically gagging to this day - be it hot or cold or "hidden" in a punch, etc. My mother used to try to make me drink it as a kid when I was sick - to settle my stomach. Yeah - right. Barf...:eek:

carole
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Mary just to make you feel a bit better, the crumpets are 99 per cent fat free, well at least the ones down under are, and with just a smidge of jam on them make a very tasty, fulling and low calorie choice lunch, that is why i have them, on ww they are only 1 point each, i guess it depends if you are having them as morning or afternoon tea,but for lunch way to go.

Medusa
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Mary just to make you feel a bit better, the crumpets are 99 per cent fat free, well at least the ones down under are, and with just a smidge of jam on them make a very tasty, fulling and low calorie choice lunch, that is why i have them, on ww they are only 1 point each, i guess it depends if you are having them as morning or afternoon tea,but for lunch way to go.

Yep, these are fat free, too, but the butter and preserves are fattening. :(

carole
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh indeed, but i never use butter or marg, ever on either of them, just have a small bit of jam about 1 teaspoon, and that is only like 3pt lunch for me, so very good,it can be done and you certainly get used to doing without, i never use butter or marg on any of my sandwiches,only use it in cooking my low fat muffins, and that is about it,just have to give it up Mary lol.:)

Medusa
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh indeed, but i never use butter or marg, ever on either of them, just have a small bit of jam about 1 teaspoon, and that is only like 3pt lunch for me, so very good,it can be done and you certainly get used to doing without, i never use butter or marg on any of my sandwiches,only use it in cooking my low fat muffins, and that is about it,just have to give it up Mary lol.:)

Dairy products are the absolute worst for me to give up. I use low fat or fat free for everything, cheeses, milk, mayo, etc. but I will not give up butter. I detest margarine and toast w/out butter or now a crumpet w/out butter, yuk. Maybe to lose a few lbs. but forever? No can do.

PayItForward
07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Crumpets, holey light buns to be toasted with butter and/or jam.
Muffins are a bread like snack.

carole
07-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Ah Mary, we all have our weakness points,i guess that is your's, there are certain things i can't give up either,lol.

joycenalex
07-23-2009, 05:25 AM
FWIW, when i go to the store on saturday, i will pick up more crumpets for my breakfast. the english muffins work best for me a mini pizzas.