PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Kennel To Board Drake

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Andrew and I were going to Lebanon over the holidays and then on a cruise of the Greek Islands over the holidays in December. Well, my in laws have backed out on taking care of Drake. This off course makes me so mad! But I am dealing with it.

Our trip has been cancelled, but we have other plans for the holidays now. We are trying to go to PA and CT to visit some family members. We want to leave on December 22nd and will be returning on the 29th. So, we'll be gone for around a week. My uncle's wife that lives in PA is severely allergic to dogs, so Drake can't stay inside. He would have to stay in the garage or outside (Not happening!) and my other uncle has an old Great Dane and 2 little boys. I am not so sure how Drake would get along with them.

I am trying to find someone to sit with Drake, but everyone seems to have plans for the holidays. Imagine that! :D :D I took my lunch break to go check out my vet's boarding facility and didn't really like the fact that the dogs won't get that much exercise. I also spent my morning calling all the boarding places in town. The only one that I think I am interested in in about 20 minutes away. I am so terrified to leave Drake by himself with a total stranger. He is still very uncertain around strangers.

The kennel is on a 14 acre lot in the country. Greg, the kennel owner seemed very nice. Him and his wife own and live on the lot and run the kennel. He explained to me how all the runs are 6'x13': 5' indoors with a guliotine door that separated the indorr part from the 8' outdoors section. The outdoor section also has a door that opens onto a half acre of fenced in yard with agility course and big trees. If the dog is agressive with other dogs, then he will be let out separetly. I think Drake will be OK with the other dogs, though. He is making much progress in that department :) The indoor runs are air conditioned and heated! Each dog gets a brand new bed in their run or you can bring your own.

Greg's wife is a retired but licensed veterinarian. The dogs get walked 3 times a day. They feed the dogs Nutro or you can bring your own food. The do not clean with bleach (can be irritating to dog's respiratory system). He said that they are also aproved and licensed by the Agricultural Department. I asked to see their licenses when I came to visit.

Drake has never been boarded before. So, you can imagine why all the fuss! I still have a few people that I am going to ask to dog sit, so the Kennel is the last resort. Greg suggested I bring Drake for a visit. I was planning on visiting the place to check it out anyway. He also suggested that I board Drake their a night or two prior to our vacation just make sure that I was comfortable with leaving him there and that he will get along fine. He said that the trail night was on the house!

Drake and I have an appointment on Thursday to meet Greg and his wife and check out their place. If I like it, I will board Drake there next weekend on Saturday.

The above description of the place is a result of a million and one questions that I asked :D They must have thought I was a nut! Can you think of anything that I haven't covered and should look into?

ramanth
09-30-2002, 11:52 AM
I'll take Drake!!! I'll take Drake!! :D ;)

But seriously... I'm sorry that the in laws backed out and you had to alter your plans. At first it was like pulling teeth to get my parents to watch Kia, now, both my parents and Andy's parents compete over who gets to watch her when Andy and I go out of State.

And, the kennel you've described sounds fabulous!!

Drake, you be a good boy, so mommy and daddy don't worry. :)

Dixieland Dancer
09-30-2002, 12:32 PM
Sounds like a state of the art facility! And I think you covered all the areas!! I hope everything works out ok for you.

What part of PA are you going to be visiting?

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Candy, I will be going to Newtown, PA. I lived there for 2 years and my uncle and his family live there still. I will also be spending 3 days in Winsted, CT with my other uncle and his family.

Dixieland Dancer
09-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Candy, I will be going to Newtown, PA.

Was just checking to see if you were going to be near Pittsburgh but you are on the other side of the state near Philadelphia. It is about a 6 hour car drive. I was going to suggest Drake stay with me!!! Maybe next time!

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the offer, Candy :) I would be willing to make the six hour drive across PA to meet you and your Goldens, but we will only be staying for 3 days in PA :(

lizbud
09-30-2002, 01:36 PM
Souraya,

Sorry your plans got screwed up, but it sounds like you've
considered all your other options. The kennel facility you
mentioned sounds great. Only thing you didn't mention, but
probably already planned for, is a Bordatella vaccination for
Drake beforehand. My daughter has two dogs and travels
quite often on business & pleasure. She uses a great Pet
Sitting service she found & the doggies are fed, walked &
visited 3 times a day for a very reasonable fee.
If you think Drake will like the kennel arrangement & it passes
your inspection, I'd take him there. Best of luck with all
your plans. Hope everything works out for you guys.:)

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Actually, Liz, the Bordatella vaccination did slip my mind, but I have made myself a note! Drake gets one every year, but I would like to know if they require it. Thanks for reminding me :)

sammi
09-30-2002, 02:01 PM
That sounds like a great place for Drake to stay. I thought of one thing - did you ask what brand of bottled water he will get? LOL :D just kidding!

tatsxxx11
09-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Good investigating, Souraya! I work PT at my friend's kennel and you seem to have hit all the major points. Did you mention if they required proof of vaccinations? Most kennels require up to date records of bortadella (kennel cough) distemper and rabies.

My BIG thing with kennels is this: Are they hard wired to their house, or the police, fire dept. in the case of fire?? Do they have a sprinkler system inside the kennel?? I know of 2 kennel fires on Cape Cod over the past years. All dogs perished because

1. No sprinkler system
2. Though they had "smoke detectors" in the kennel, the kennel was so far from the house that it wasn't until the kennel was in flames that the owner's were alerted.

Also, since it's dark by around 4:30 pm in December, you might want to ask them when the doors are shut for the day and when "lights out" is. In some kennels, during wintertime, the dogs are given a "last check" and left inside without lights from late afternoon (5pm or so) until around 8am!!

What arrangements are in place in case of an emergency? Will they transport Drake to your vet or treat him themselves? Will they contact you? I would insist that you be notified in the case of any injury or illness.

Also, I'm sure you know to check for adequate, sturdy, fencing, gates that lock from entryways, etc. Also, check to see if the outside doors of the kennels are latched securely and can be secured with a lock of sorts. Lots of dogs are what we call "latch lifters" and can actually lift the arm up off of chain link doors with their noses, climb low fences and escape! Also, being on the look out in the kennels for any broken wires, metal sheeting that's lifting and has sharp edges etc. LOTS of dog end up getting small cuts and scrapes from those thiings.

Good Luck! This kennel sounds like a good one though!

And Sammi... YES! Many dogs actually DO come with their own bottled water!!:D (Mostly the little guys!)

Cookiebaker
09-30-2002, 02:05 PM
What about references of other people that board their dogs here? Or is this something that you would prefer to rely on your instincts to give you the answer??

Dixieland Dancer
09-30-2002, 02:43 PM
WOW! Sandra sure has given you plenty more to consider!!! I would of never thought of all that!

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Sandra,

I printed out your post and high lighted as well! :D

The owner did say that I would be notified in case of an emergency and that his wife would ONLY treat the dogs if it were a matter of life and death untill they could get him to his vet. They will transport the dog to your vet as well. They do require that the dog is up to date on all shots.

I will ask about what time they bring the dogs in during December. Drake can be an escape artist and I want to make sure that their fences are sturdy and escape proof.

The sprinkler system and how close it is from the house is a great tip, too! I am certainly going to investigate that. I was also going to ask for some refernces but was waiting to check out the place first.

I want to be sure that if I have to leave him there, he is going to be safe and as comfortable as possible. I did however call my brother's girlfriend and asked her if she would dog sit for me. Drake likes her and she has dog sat for me before. She said she would let me know. We'll see.

anna_66
09-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Wow, this seems like a really nice place (that's if you do have to board Drake there) to leave him. I wish we had some places like that around here.

Cincy'sMom
09-30-2002, 07:10 PM
That does sound like a great place. I am so thankful we have never had to board the girls, that family has always been able to watch them. If we ever do though, I;ll know who to ask what ai should check for before leaving my girls!!

Fuzzy317
09-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Souraya, I would offer that Drake stay with us, but the kennel sounds very good. He would get more personal interaction there than with us.

Besides, we are currently fostering Asgrim (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15057) , a great dane puppy (if you call 80 pounds a puppy :) )

After Asgrim goes to his new home we really need to do some work around the house, or if we are last resort, we may be fostering another dane. :rolleyes:

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-01-2002, 06:29 AM
Scott, thank you for your offer. I know you have your hands full with Asgrim and your own pooches.