PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace Walter Cronkite

boomersooner
07-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Just saw on the news that Walter Cronkite passed away. He is a figure from my childhood.....Such a comforting voice on the nightly news.

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Yep,

Rest In Peace, Kind Sir!:(

blue
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
RIP Mr Cronkite.

Grace
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
92 years of a life well lived. We should all be so fortunate.

Grace
07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone else remember his TV show You Are There?

The way it always ended -

"What sort of day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times... and you were there."

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Anyone else remember his TV show You Are There?

The way it always ended -

"What sort of day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times... and you were there."

Of course, We all were there!:D

Cinder & Smoke
07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
"What sort of day was it?
A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times ...
and you were there."

Rest Easy, Walter. :(

He made you feel glad you listened or watched the News,
even when it was noting but BAD News.

We should have had him "cloned".

;)

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I just saw a little tribute to WC on the news. One of the pics was of WC holding a model of the Apollo CSM - During the height of the space program WALTER was the word. There was no computer animation or doppler of any of that fancy crap. Walter picked up a model of a spaceship he had on his desk, and explained what was going on.

I remember him being the voice of NEWS-No BS, no google, twitter or internet. You had to tune in and listen to the "most trusted man in America".

His word was good enough. If WC called it you had to listen-It was just like your parents talking to you.;)

The picture made me laugh because as a kid I always hated him because he got to play with all the cool space toys!

Thanks for being there, Walter.

Grace
07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I always loved the pictures of him on his boat - probably because I grew up in Rhode Island with the ocean so close.

http://www.philanthropynow.com/pn/images/cronkites.gif

Medusa
07-18-2009, 06:50 AM
RIP, Mr. Cronkite. You were the genuine article.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-18-2009, 02:42 PM
He was the last news reporter I really liked!!! RIP Sir!!! :love:

Edwina's Secretary
07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I remember his tears at the death of Kennedy and when he expressed - so eloquently his opinion on the Vietnam Conflict. President Johnson famously said...if he has lost Walter Cronkite he had lost America!

finn's mom
07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, I hadn't heard that. What a great man.