PDA

View Full Version : Jim...blocked??? Ultrasound scheduled Aug 17

jenluckenbach
07-17-2009, 05:29 AM
I had quite the scare last night, and I am not sure the saga is quite over yet.

Last night, just before 10 pm saw Jim leave the litter box and he laid down strangely. He laid flat on his side and seemed to be straining to poop (or pee). For 10 minutes he did this so I called my vet.

Without the details as to WHY....taking him to the vet last night would have been quite difficult. So she suggested some medicne (I had on hand) and some sub Q fluids which, THANK GOD I also had on hand! This was to 1) relax the urethra and 2) to flush out a possible blockage.

Did it. placed him in a seperate room and went to bed. Got up at 2 am to check on him and give him another 1/4 of the pill. He peed a lake! It ust have came on fast because only half was in the box (OK by mke, as long as he feels better). Went back to bed.

T|At 6 am this morning he still seems a bit painful (but at least I know his bladder is not full). I'll give more fluids and another pill and then call the vet for the next step.

So think of Jim today, thanks.

Barbara
07-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Keeping paws crossed for Jim- I am full of admiration for your medical skills.

Medusa
07-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Goodness, that sounds painful! Prayers for Jim right now!

Randi
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
This was to 1) relax the urethra and 2) to flush out a possible blockage.
I've never heard of that before, but what luck you had it handy!

Sending lots of good thoughts that the problem will be cleared up, and Jim will feel better soon! :)

kb2yjx
07-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Jen, you have all our prayers for Jim...and a candle, too....

katladyd
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I know firsthand how serious and scary a blockage can be! My prayers are with Jim. I'm glad he unblocked on his own, my Ming doesn't do that and it gets expensive to have the catheter treatment done on him. He's been doing great for several months now and I hope Jim will do the same!:love:

jenluckenbach
07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
JIM has not peed again, yet, but the vet feels that his big pee last night is good enough to keep him on the torbutol (for pain, relaxation) and more fluids tonight, and start him on an antibiotic.

You can tell that he is still quite uncmfortable, and he did not eat today.

He still may be going to see the vet tomorrow since I am going there anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and candles.

katladyd
07-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Keep an eye on Jim. One evening, I brought Ming home from the vets after they unblocked him. He let loose a river in the vet's office as we were leaving and I thought that all was well. Well, he started straining again as soon as I got him home and first thing in the morning, I brought him back in. Yep, he was blocked again. The vet was glad I did that because they can get uremic poisoning and die if you leave them blocked to long. So, just watch him, please!

jenluckenbach
07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Thank you, and YES I will be watching.

He must feel a little better tonight. He was up (not laying in the corner on hs side) And he peed!(On the carpet in the corner, but I don't care!!!)

So tonight I'll do the sub Q's and get up to check on him in the middle of my sleep.

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Jim's way. Hopefully he won't block again.

jenluckenbach
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Jim is feeling better. You can tell by the way he acts. And he's had several good pees. :o

He will continue with some meds and sub Q's for a week or so.

He will also be changing food AGAIN! and adding another medication to his schedule.

Just hope we can get his urine where it should be.

Barbara
07-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Good to hear that Jim is better- so I hope he's under control right now.

jenluckenbach
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Poor guy is at it again. :( This time with an abundance of blood in his urine. I feel so bad for him.

Back on meds and fluids.

Prairie Purrs
08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh, poor Jim! I hope another round of meds takes care of the problem for good. He's lucky that you're keeping a good close eye on him.

jenluckenbach
08-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks like Jim will be going for an ultrasound. The date is not set yet, but his urine is bloody.... but the ph is BETTER! and the crystals are now minimal. And NO infection at all. We need to find out what we are dealing with.

The last (well the only ultrasound) i went through was with Lucas in 2006. And not a good diagnosis. $285 then to find out CANCER, $340 now to find out ....what????

He's doing better, again, on the pain pills and fluids. but (like last time) what happens when I stop the treatment? Will it the pain and straining start again like it did this last time? And the blood! Poor boy. I know he's uncomfortable, at least to an extent, but he's still my sweet boy.

katladyd
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
All I can tell you is that when I started Ming on amitryptiline, there were no more blockages and no more blood in his urine. He has been fine as long as he gets one pill per day. They aren't expensive, only $10 for 100 pills from Pet Meds. You need a prescription from you vet to get the pills from Pet Meds. Maybe you could talk to your vet about this.

Catty1
08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I really hope Jim can maybe start on some amitryptiline - and that the ultrasound shows nothing major at all!

My sister had bladder dysfunction with her MS, and was on the same med (called Baclofen). I guess it is very commonly used for a variety of mammals!

Prayers for sweet Jim. :love::love:

jenluckenbach
08-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Jim has been on amitriptyline for years!!!!

Pinot's Mom
08-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Prayers coming, please keep us posted.

krazyaboutkatz
08-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that he's having more problems again.:( Hopefully the ultrasound will tell you what's going on with him and hopefully it's something that's easily treatable. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Catty1
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Poor Jim! He HAS been on that med for years...how frustrating for him and you.

More prayers that an answer is found for both your sakes.:love:

jennielynn1970
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
awe... poor Jim. I'll be keeping him (and you and charlie) in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the ultrasound will show some "postive" results, and not cancer.

jenluckenbach
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I will take Jim for the ultrasound next Monday, Aug 17.

He is doing fine right now. And I would love to NOT have to spend this money. But I am so worried that his troubles will return as soon as we stop the medication.

If it would turn out to be bladder stones, I am sure surgery will be in order.

Medusa
08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Prayers for Jim, too. Ultrasounds aren't cheap, that's for sure. I may do one for Boo before I consider surgery. Our poor furkids.

katladyd
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I feel so sorry for both you and Jim. I feel badly that Jim has had to be on this med for years and has still gotten blocked. My best wishes for you and your kitty!:love:

jenluckenbach
08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
NOTHING!!! absolutely normal across the board!

No explaination for the incident.

Those Doctors must just LOVE people like me who bring absolutely healthy pets in for expensive procedures. :rolleyes:

Pinot's Mom
08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
WHEW! That's good news! http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif How's he doing??

jenluckenbach
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
He's been doing really well. Well enough that I wasn't even sure I would take him for this test. But I feared a relapse, so I needed to be sure. I would have bet money that it was bladder stones, but no sign of that was found.

Taz_Zoee
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm glad it showed nothing. But I'm sorry that you can't figure out what is wrong with him. I know how frustrating that can be. I'll just hope that he remains doing well.

phesina
08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Wonderful news!

I just lit a candle to celebrate :D (and in gratitude and with prayers there isn't still something else going on): http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8988527

krazyaboutkatz
08-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm glad to hear that his US was normal.:) Hopefully he'll remain well. I've been through this before with Pearl because I feared that she had IBD. Luckily her US was also normal. I'll continue to keep Jim in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm happy that Jim's tests came back normal across the board and hopefully things will calm down now and there will be no more incidents. Keep the faythe. :love:

allmycats
08-28-2009, 03:22 PM
how is Jim doing now?

jenluckenbach
08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Jim is just fine! thanks for asking.