PDA

View Full Version : My Rescued Sparrow

Twisterdog
07-16-2009, 11:10 PM
This is Willie. I got him a little over a week ago. Someone brought him out to the Humane Society. She found him laying on the sidewalk in front of her apartment building. She said she couldn't see a nest anywhere, to put him back into. He had a few pin feathers starting in his wings and tail, but for the most part he was naked when I got him. His eyes were just barely opening ... not particularly attractive.

Now he's adorable! He is sitting on my shoulder right now. He likes to get under my hair and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. He is supposed to go free, but I'm not sure he is going to be able to. He's pretty tame. :rolleyes: I do NOT want a pet bird, but he has other ideas, I'm thinking.

He can fly now, but he is still not eating on his own. I don't really know how to teach him. I'm used to raising insectivores, like robins, starlings, grackles, etc. They are easy to teach, they have that prey drive for live food. How do you teach a tame little guy to eat birdseed? Hmmm ....

Nomilynn
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I have no advice, but he is SOOOOO CUUUTE!! I would love to see some more closer-up pictures if you can get them!!! :)

kimlovescats
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
How absolutely adorable! Awwwwwwww! :D I didn't know you could even get one to survive on your own at all ... that is awesome! How and what are you feeding him?

zoey
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
i have no feeding advice to give, sorry i just really don't know, but it's awesome the care you're giving him; i admire that. & sitting on your shoulder? how cool is that. :D

it's amazing how thick their featers grow in a week. :)

Medusa
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh he's adorable! Love the pix!

Twisterdog
07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
How absolutely adorable! Awwwwwwww! :D I didn't know you could even get one to survive on your own at all ... that is awesome! How and what are you feeding him?

I have raised lots and lots of baby birds, generally a few every season. Some indeed die, usually if they are injured, get too cold, or have been without food too long. But, as a rule, they are not that hard. It just takes practice and patience.

I feed them dry cat food soaked in water. Later I teach the insectivores to catch and eat crickets. I have raised sparrows, robins, starlings, grackles and pigeons.

Most of them release just fine. But once in a while I end up with one like little Willie here, who is as tame as a puppy, despite my best efforts to keep him wild.

Twisterdog
08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Update - We released Willie this morning. I planned to let him go in one of my customer's front yard (with her permission of course!). It's an amazing yard, full of pine and apple trees and a lot of other sparrows. However, he must not have been as timid or tame as I thought, because he squeezed out of my hand and flew across the street into a tree as soon as I took him out of the cage.

Hopefully he will enjoy his freedom and be ok. Good luck, Willie!

Laura's Babies
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Fly high Willie, stay safe! (This is such a sweet story)

gini
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Bless you for taking care of little Willie - may he have a long life - free, as God intended.