PDA

View Full Version : We have a new momma

sparks19
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
No it's not me lol

we have a little robins nest up on the rafters of our porch roof. This nest appeared while I was up in Canada. I didn't think there were any babies as i hadn't heard any cheeping or seen any babies or anything.... but I was wrong there is at least one. I saw him or her for the first time today. I could see his/her hungry open mouth sticking up out of the nest lol. s/he is obviously not brand new as s/he has quite a bit of feathers now and is getting pretty big. not sure how many there are.... or if there is just the one.

I would get pics but it's kind of hard to see and momma gets pretty feisty if you get even remotely close to her nest lol. I went out to look and she was eyeing me up from the fence.

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this nest as I don't want the baby to fall out since it is in the backyard where the dogs spend a lot of their time but so far so good and I don't think it will be long before this little one takes off on his own.

caseysmom
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
How cool. I had doves nesting in my yard this year, they both grew up and flew away, it was pretty stressful with my potter, he is quite the hunter.

sparks19
07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh goodness... I bet that was fun tryign to keep potter away lol

OK we have TWO babies for sure and possibly a third. I was watching momma feed them and I saw two little heads pop up but I couldn't tell if the third was a head or just a wing or soemthing :)

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Awwww, we had a nest in the bush next to our garage. The parents would dive bomb our heads as we walked in and out our front door. There were 5 babies!! :eek: I think at least one of them didn't survive to be an adult bird. :( Bruce was mowing the lawn and he thinks he ran over one with the tire. Poor baby.
I believe I got a couple of pictures of them. I'll have to check tonight at home.

Here at work a co-worker was literally hit in the head by a bird three times! She had no clue why. I had to explain to her that the bird obviously had a nest near where she was walking. It was actually pretty funny. Now when she goes for a walk I tell her to watch out for the birds. :)