PDA

View Full Version : An End to Gas Chambers for our pets?

Catty1
07-16-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/avma-updates-euthanasia-guidelines/

AVMA Updates Euthanasia Guidelines
posted by: Sharon S. 16 hours ago

This summer the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has appointed 12 groups of professionals to update its official Guidelines on Euthanasia. The AVMA says the document will provide direction on acceptable procedures and medications that can be used to end an animal’s life in a quick and humane manner that minimizes pain and suffering.

These guidelines are critically important because veterinarians follow them in their private practices and because federal and state governments base their regulations on them.

Dr. Gail C. Golab, director of the AVMA Animal Welfare Division said, “This particular document has a huge impart, obviously, on animals, but also on veterinarians and the communities they serve.”

Hopefully these new guidelines will become a tool for legislators and activists who are desperately trying to stop the inhumane use of gas chambers at animal shelters. Earlier this year when the legislators in North Carolina were considering a bill to ban gas chambers, the opposition was able to the Euthanasia Guidelines in their favor. They pointed out that the AVMA approved of the method.

The last time the Euthanasia Guidelines were reviewed was in 1999. At that time only 13 individuals met to update the document. Now there will be 72 people that will be divided into 12 separate groups. They are made up of veterinarians, scientists, animal control officers, academics and other areas of expertise.

One of the challenges faced by the group is the lack of new research. There are very few studies conducted on the best methods for ending an animal’s life. Most of the information will have to come from first accounts by professionals in the field.

The committee will also make recommendations on new topics such as employing euthanasia technicians and how to euthanize large numbers of animals in case of disease or disaster.

In keeping with its promise to consider the welfare of animals, the AVMA has included a new type of member to advise the committee. They have invited Raymond Anthony, PhD, an ethicist and assistant professor of philosophy at the University of Alaska. The AVMA believes this will balance the science of the guidelines with “morally acceptable” behavior.

The group will review the current guidelines, identify areas that need updating and draft a revised document. The final guidelines will be submitted to the AVMA Executive Board for approval. The AVMA expects to have a new set of guidelines by the end of 2010.

Dr. Steven Leary, assistant vice chancellor for Veterinary Affairs at Washington University School of Medicine said, “I think we’ll have a more thoughtful and well-considered report this time around.”

Source: JAVMA News

3Catcondo
07-16-2009, 06:55 PM
This is great, I hope they put an end to gas chambers. No animal deserves to die like that. Thank you for sharing.

Medusa
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I feel stupid. I didn't know this was still done. I sure do hope this is abolished.

lvpets2002
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
:( I did not know they still used gas chambers.. I always was noted they give the animal a shot of stuff that puts them down instantly..

phesina
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Oh God... I didn't know anyone was still using those either.

I so hope that this will be stopped.

Catty1
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Shelters do, and as the article says, lawmakers have had the present law used against them when they try to eliminate the gas chambers.

PRAYERS that this works!

moosmom
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Euthanasia in CT is by lethal injection. It was outlawed many years ago when the CT Humane Society still had a chamber in use. I'm glad. Animals should not have to go through such a barbaric procedure.