PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Coco Puff is sick!; *Update*; had to rush him to the vet

Medusa
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I think it's from one little treat that I gave him this morning. I usually give Greenies but I had some Denta Bites and I gave him only one. A few minutes ago I heard him slurping and I thought maybe he had some cat hair stuck in his mouth as if often the case from grooming but it's because he was ready to vomit. He really let it out, too. Then I heard him cry downstairs and I went to find him and he had really loose stools in the litterbox and vomited there, too, poor little guy. He never gets sick on food, never, so that's it for those treats. Boo and Creamsicle each got one, too, and they're fine so, obviously, they just don't agree w/him. He's lying on his belly in the basement w/his front legs outstretched. I sure hope this passes as quickly as it came on. Maybe spare a prayer for him, please? I keep wiping away drool from his mouth.

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh no! Poor Coco Puff. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Anikaca77
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Prays are being sent for Coco Puff and I hope all is well and with a little time Coco Puff gets better.

Melissa

Catty1
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Poor baby!

I hope this will be over quickly, if it was a reaction to the treat.

Chicken baby food and warm water! :love:

HUGS to precious Coco Puff!

astrid
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Poor Coco Puff!!! I hope he gets better soon:(
Prayer on the way for him:love:

Medusa
07-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I've been all over the house trying to see what he could've gotten into. There's nothing. I don't have house plants, all cleaning supplies, etc. are under the sink behind the doors. I just don't know. I put in a call to Dr. Lee but he's gone for the day and Dr. Feeman won't be back til 2 and he's by himself today so he might not be able to call me back right away. Coco had drool dripping from his mouth and I've wiped it away 3 times but that seems to have stopped now. I'm supposed to be running important errands now but I'm afraid to leave him.

happylabs
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh my. I don't think one treat could have made him that sick. I hope he will be okay. Kitty prayers going out.

pomtzu
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here, hoping it's nothing serious.

Laura's Babies
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Prayes sent for him a quick recovery! Poor Baby! :love:

Medusa
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I just checked on him and he was hiding under a chair in the basement, drool coming out of both sides of his mouth. Why does this stuff always happen where there are no vets available?

kuhio98
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Healing prayers and wishes being sent your way.

The drool concerns me. Kuhio used to get long, slobbery drool when she was stressed. :(

Pinot's Mom
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh, NO! Coco Puff, poor baby! Could the drool be tooth problem and the food just happened to coincide?
Prayers....let us know....

Medusa
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I suppose anything's possible. I checked his mouth and gums and they're pink. He doesn't appear to have any bad teeth but he could, I guess. He was just at the vet's not too long ago and all was ok there. His tail is thrashing like a whip!

katladyd
07-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I would get him to the closest vet available ASAP! I have had to do this when my vet was not available. I wish I had an answer as to why they always do this when your regular vet isn't there, or better yet, on weekends! It never fails, does it?:(

Medusa
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, he doesn't seem in distress now like he did before. Then he was licking his lips and crying. Now the drooling has stopped again and he's in the meatloaf position but he seems calm. So I'm going to run a few of those errands because tomorrow I have appts. til early afternoon and I won't be able to get them done. When Dr. Feeman calls me, I'll be sure to post what he said.

kb2yjx
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Maybe he had a reaction to the treat...Hope Coco Puff is feeling better, and you too Mary!!

catmandu
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
It just might be that theres something in that treat that triggered an allergic reaction, but that sounds very severe for that to happen.
We are praying that Cocoa Puff:):) is all night, and this was just a reaction to a treat that somehow was tainted! I have seen Whiskas Temptations that looked and smelled off too.
:love::love::love:

Medusa
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Dr. Lee called while I was running errands. This is why I love this man. He was gone for the day but checked in and they told him that I called so he called me right away. I told him what was going on and he said "Are you sure he didn't get into something or eat some string or something like that?" I said "My house is so cat proofed you wouldn't believe it but I guess there's always that possibility". He said "It almost sounds like a blockage. When you get home, if you see that he hasn't changed, bring him right in".

So I checked on Coco immediately and he had vomited again, this time all mucous. So I took him in to Dr. Lee's. He did an x-ray of his stomach and he said that all that was in there was a lot of air. Poor little boy cried and just drooled all the way there and back home again. He was dripping on both sides when I took him out of the carrier just now. So Dr. Lee gave him an injection for nausea that lasts 12 hours and I have some nausea meds for him, too. But he said that if he's still vomiting to bring him in again. Neither of us can figure out what has caused this so suddenly. Dr. Lee feels that he's going to be ok, though.

jenluckenbach
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Prayers for Coco.

kb2yjx
07-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Candle on the way!!! Prayers, too....

Catty1
07-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Poor little guy! Prayers that he feels much better SOON! :love::love:

Medusa
07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
He seems to be doing better. The drooling has finally stopped, thankfully. He went over by the counter top where I keep the cat treats and he looked up at the jar. I thought "You've got to be kidding me, cat!" Right now he's sitting by the front screen door looking out at the few birds that are still hopping around in the yard.

Vermontcat
07-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Medusa, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
I'm so sorry to hear that your sweet Coco Puff isn't feeling well.
Milly and I send tons of get well soon wishes and lots of hugs, kisses, headbumpies and purrs to sweet Coco Puff.:love:
I hope he is getting better now, I know Meezers can have sensitive stomachs, Milly eats things she shouldn't and throws up sometimes from eating too fast so we really have to keep an eye on her and what she puts in her mouth.

phesina
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm only seeing this now, Mary.. I am SO happy to read that Dr. Lee got back to you and saw him and has given him some nausea meds and now Coco Puff is doing better.. but Dr. Lee will see him again tomorrow if he is still vomiting..

No wonder you love Dr. Lee so much! :love::love::love:

Keep on keeping on and feeling better, Coco Puff.. everything is under control now.

Sleep well and get some good rest, both of you!

Medusa
07-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm only seeing this now, Mary.. I am SO happy to read that Dr. Lee got back to you and saw him and has given him some nausea meds and now Coco Puff is doing better.. but Dr. Lee will see him again tomorrow if he is still vomiting..

No wonder you love Dr. Lee so much! :love::love::love:

Keep on keeping on and feeling better, Coco Puff.. everything is under control now.

Sleep well and get some good rest, both of you!

Yes, Dr. Lee is the vet god. After he performs surgery on Thursdays, he goes home for the day. When he called me, he said "I'll be here til 7. No need to call. Just come in." I forbid him to retire!

Freedom
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Coco Puff, keep on recovering and feeling better!

Laura's Babies
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
What a wonderfully sweet, caring man Dr. Lee is. You are so lucky to have him. Hope he gets better real soon and prayers are still going up for him.

blue
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Very glad Coco is doing better, and that is a great vet.

Medusa
07-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Well, we made it through the night w/no episodes of drooling so the anti-nausea injection apparently worked. Coco even ate a little bit of dry food during the night. He didn't sleep w/me, though; he slept on the bathroom rug all night. I guess he didn't want to be bothered. The real test is going to be this morning. I haven't fed the Fur Posse their Fancy Feast yet. I'm afraid for him to eat any of it. I think I might put him in the basement when I feed them. I don't think he needs that on his stomach right now, especially w/all the mucous he's been vomiting.

Anikaca77
07-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Oh my what a day you had yesterday Mary.

I hope Coco Puff is able to keep down his food this morning and I hope there isn't anything wrong with him. Poor guy.

Prays coming your way for you and Coco Puff.

melissa

smokey the elder
07-17-2009, 08:01 AM
It almost sounds like a GI allergic reaction. I know some people if they eat something they're allergic to, get the digestive upset rather than the upper respiratory symptoms. The one person I know has a reaction very similar to that of Coco and the only cure is time. I hope that whatever was bothering him is out of his system now.

kb2yjx
07-17-2009, 08:25 AM
A BIG whew coming from NJ!!!! Glad that Coco Puff is feeling a bit better....That is one great vet!!! No wonder you gave him that order!!!!

GILL
07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
BIG BIG KUDO' S for your vet Dr. Lee for being so caring. We are all glade that Coco Puff is feelin a little better.

happylabs
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Amen! Sounds like he is on the mend. Your vet sounds awesome. Our kitty prayers worked!

Taz_Zoee
07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Well I'm glad to hear he's doing a bit better.
This morning I was in Paizly's room and there was a spider on the ceiling. I thought to myself, I hope it doesn't come down and Paizly eats it. Then I thought about Coco. I wonder if he found a spider or other insect and ate it and had this reaction. That would be something you would not have evidence of.
Well, either way he sounds like he's on the road to recovery. :)

astrid
07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Mary!! Thank God Coco Puff is doing better, I hope he gets better today, I'm still praying for him.

Have a good day:)

Medusa
07-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, I just got home from my appts. and Raoul Boop seems to be doing fine. (For those of you who don't know, that's one of his aliases. LOL) I'm still having work done in the house and my construction guy said as I walked in the door "All your cats have been good, even the wild one". (He was talking about Creamsicle. I can't imagine why he'd call her that, my little counter top hopper. ;)) I couldn't find Coco, though, and I asked if he had seen him and he said "You mean the one who always sits by the door? I think he's in the dining room now". I looked under the table and there he was. He came right out and hopped up by the treat jar and meowed. He didn't get any treats, though. I'm not taking any chances. So PT prayers worked again! :) :love:

katladyd
07-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Hugs and kisses from me to Coco Puff!:love: You get well, pretty boy!:)

Medusa
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
It almost sounds like a GI allergic reaction. I know some people if they eat something they're allergic to, get the digestive upset rather than the upper respiratory symptoms. The one person I know has a reaction very similar to that of Coco and the only cure is time. I hope that whatever was bothering him is out of his system now.

I thought the same thing. Dr. Lee said that he can't imagine that one treat would make him that sick; he feels that Coco may have choked and that his loose stool was from stress. Also his temp. was 99.1 and Dr. Lee said "Hmmm, sub normal. That's odd but it could be stress related as well". I was right there when he started vomiting. He didn't choke. I really do think he ate something that didn't agree w/him.

Well I'm glad to hear he's doing a bit better.
This morning I was in Paizly's room and there was a spider on the ceiling. I thought to myself, I hope it doesn't come down and Paizly eats it. Then I thought about Coco. I wonder if he found a spider or other insect and ate it and had this reaction. That would be something you would not have evidence of.
Well, either way he sounds like he's on the road to recovery. :)

I thought of that, too, Cindy. I haven't seen too many spiders this year because it's been so dry lately but it could be because he or one of the others is eating them all! :eek:

Grace
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
So glad to hear he is better. Hopefully it was just a 24 hour bug.

jenluckenbach
07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Glad Coco seems better! :D

cassiesmom
07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I just got home from my appts. and Raoul Boop seems to be doing fine. (For those of you who don't know, that's one of his aliases. LOL) I'm still having work done in the house and my construction guy said as I walked in the door "All your cats have been good, even the wild one". (He was talking about Creamsicle. I can't imagine why he'd call her that, my little counter top hopper. ;)) I couldn't find Coco, though, and I asked if he had seen him and he said "You mean the one who always sits by the door? I think he's in the dining room now". I looked under the table and there he was. He came right out and hopped up by the treat jar and meowed. He didn't get any treats, though. I'm not taking any chances. So PT prayers worked again! :) :love:

Yay, Boop! Feel much better, sweet boy!

krazyaboutkatz
07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Coco Puff is doing much better now and I hope he'll continue to do so.:) Dr. Lee sure is a wonderful caring vet.:)

kitten645
07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Yay for my Argentine Raoul! Feel better soon sweetie. :love:Your meowmie could use a break. All best wishes that it's a "phase" and all will be well soon.
Claudia, Calvin & Hobbes

momcat
07-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I just now saw this. Poor Coco Puff, is your sweetie still doing okay? Count on my prayers for Coco Puff and all of your little sweethearts!

Medusa
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I just now saw this. Poor Coco Puff, is your sweetie still doing okay? Count on my prayers for Coco Puff and all of your little sweethearts!

Yes, he's doing fine now, thanx for asking. Whatever it was, the anti-nausea injection helped him get over the hump. He's back to being his Raoul Boop self. ;)