PDA

View Full Version : I found a dead little chickadee inside my feeder

Medusa
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Just now. Poor little guy. He must have thought he was in heaven at first w/all that birdseed to feast on but after eating, he found that he couldn't get out. I'm still trying to figure out how he got in to begin with. It's squirrel proof and there appear to be no cracks for him to get in. I just do not know how he did it. What an awful way to die. He was trapped in there. I decided to check tonight to see how much was in the feeder and there he was. So sad. RIP, little chickadee. :(

caseysmom
07-15-2009, 04:59 PM
RIP little guy, that must have been upsetting:(

kuhio98
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Mary ~ Are you sure it's squirrel proof?

The reason I ask is that the squirrels at my friend's cabin frequently put dead birds on top of the seeds to scare other birds away. :(

Medusa
07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Mary ~ Are you sure it's squirrel proof?

The reason I ask is that the squirrels at my friend's cabin frequently put dead birds on top of the seeds to scare other birds away. :(

Seriously? I've never heard of such a thing! That's crazy! Wow! Well, I've watched the squirrels climb up the pole and try to get into the feeder and the couldn't do it. They'd have to be pretty dexterous to open the lid because it takes two hands. That would really freak me out to think that a squirrel could put that bird in there and, if that's the case, his ploy didn't work. The birds were still feeding. Yikes! That's gonna give me nightmares!

kuhio98
07-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds pretty squirrel proof to me.
Poor little chickadee...........

phesina
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
So sorry to read this.

Fly around happily by the Rainbow Bridge, dear little birdie!