PDA

View Full Version : Catsitter question

Pinot's Mom
07-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Should professional Catsitters be left a tip?

I had a Catsitter for years that was a personal friend. I paid her a flat fee and that was that. I have now established a relationship with a professional sitter, due to the health of my friend; she comes in twice a day, each visit costs $15 ($20 each on Holidays). The first time we used the service was over Memorial Day; I didn't leave a tip. She will be back this weekend and I was wondering-am I expected to tip? She does a good job; we don't expect anything out of the ordinary. Just curious...

Randi
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Since you pay her, I don't think you need to leave a tip. However, you could bring her a little something from your travels.

The catsitting group I'm a member of catsit for free. I have done it twice, but one of them brought back some goodies from USA for both Fister and me. The point is to save to cost of a cat pension, and for the cat to be able to stay at home in the usual environment. :)

Taz_Zoee
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybe this could be like the gardener or postal carrier, you give them a little bonus around Christmas.
But I like Randi's idea too, bring something back for her. If she is a cat person that shouldn't be too difficult. :)

catmandu
07-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I think if they go above and beyond the call of duty, then they should get a tip, just like wait people in a restaurant .:love::love:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Cat%20Photos/purrywurries481.jpg
Its not stretch to reward good service!!!
:love::love::love:

Freedom
07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I didn't tip my professional sitter that I used for 6 years, and that seemed no issue for her.

I sometimes brought her something, if it was a multi week trip I sent her a post card, I always sent a holiday card in Dec with something $ in it.

Once, it was a very short notice, I had to go in hospital and that time I did give her something extra as she fitted me in; her contract always said she needed xx days notice (can't remember what it was now).

Hope this helps!

Pinot's Mom
07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks, everyone, I didn't think it was necessary to tip, but I just wanted to make sure! The idea of bringing something and/ or extra Christmas bonus is good! :)

Thanks again for your responses!

Medusa
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Personally, I always tip, no matter who it is unless of course the service is bad. I tipped my movers when I bought this house, I tipped the guy who installed my patio windows and also the one who installed my flooring. I also tipped the painter and the electrician. I tip my construction guy and I'll tip the concrete guy when all the work is completed. I cleaned houses for years and only two people ever tipped me and then only once each. At Christmas I'd get a cash gift, which I appreciated, but a tip would've been nice, especially when I went above and beyond. I mean, c'mon, we tip waitresses and hairdressers and nail techs. Why not tip the person who scrubs your floors on her hands and knees and cleans your toilets? Same goes for pet sitters. They're taking care of our precious furkids, dealing w/litter boxes and cages and walking dogs in inclement weather, etc. and I want to show my appreciation. If they do a lousy job, they won't get hired again but a tip for a good job will be remembered, just as I remember the tips that I received from two of my customers many years ago, and chances are that they'll do an extra good job for me next time. :)

Pinot's Mom
07-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Personally, I always tip, no matter who it is unless of course the service is bad. They're taking care of our precious furkids, dealing w/litter boxes and cages and walking dogs in inclement weather, etc. and I want to show my appreciation. If they do a lousy job, they won't get hired again but a tip for a good job will be remembered, just as I remember the tips that I received from two of my customers many years ago, and chances are that they'll do an extra good job for me next time. :)

Point taken...it's one kitty, but it's our baby, so she's worth it! :) Thanks.

Maggie

cassiesmom
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
What a helpful thread; thank you, everyone!

slick
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
While I'm not a professional catsitter, I do look after other people cats - that is the humans are people I've known for a number of years. I refuse money or compensation of any kind. I do it because I want to and because I get to spend quality time with other kitties I love. One couple is my catsitter so we swap back and forth. It works out well. The other person is my neighbour (not the one who helps me with Max) whom I really don't care for much and she's really cheap anyway. I don't ask for any money because I love her cats and care for them while she is away.