PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how the passage of time changes things

Medusa
07-14-2009, 08:40 AM
As I type, I'm having a new driveway, 2 walkways and patio poured. The guys showed up at 7:00 AM ready to work, every tanned and muscled one of 'em wearing wife beater Tshirts, some w/tatoos. Young as hell, too. Time was when I would've been dressed in my finest, wearing full make up, hair done to perfection, ready to strut my stuff. That was then. Now... I was wearing mismatched pajamas, I had bed hair, no makeup and was wearing my favorite bacteria infested bedroom slippers. I handed one of the hotties my car keys to back my car out of the garage and park it where he feels it won't get splattered w/concrete. Then I slinked back into my house to take a shower. I imagine that they'll have a good story to tell their kids later on: "I remember the day we poured concrete at a house haunted by a hag who handed one of us the keys to her car and then disappeared". :eek:

sasvermont
07-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh, how true. After years of caring what other's think about me, early in the AM, I now do just about what you just did. Toss on a mismatched bathrobe, ugly slippers, hair pulled back and yucky, but I must also put on glasses. I think the membership in this club is increasing by the moment.

Just remember, this same process will happen to men and to the young man you gave your car keys to, to move your car.

Does this make you feel a little less frumpy?

Medusa
07-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh, how true. After years of caring what other's think about me, early in the AM, I now do just about what you just did. Toss on a mismatched bathrobe, ugly slippers, hair pulled back and yucky, but I must also put on glasses. I think the membership in this club is increasing by the moment.

Just remember, this same process will happen to men and to the young man you gave your car keys to, to move your car.

Does this make you feel a little less frumpy?

Oh yes, I forgot the glasses. Gotta picture me w/those atop my head. Actually, I felt more scary than frumpy. ;) But my Fur Posse still love me.

pomtzu
07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Retirement has made me the hag that I am these days. :eek:

After spending most of my working years in an office setting and having to dress accordingly, I'm taking advantage of not having to do that anymore. Every working day it was fix the hair, apply the makeup, dress to kill, stuff the feet into heels, don the jewelry, etc, etc. Even in later years when the office went "business casual", it still was pretty much the same routine - just more casual clothes and not suits or dresses and the dreaded panty hose. Even on weekends, I was inclined to still do the makeup and hair, just to go grocery shopping!

Now some days I'm lucky to be showered and dressed by noon! And it's definitely super casual. Around the house in the summer, it's capris, tank top or tee, and flip-flops, no makeup except for a dab of lipstick, and do the "finger-styling" thing with my hair. Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment, so I'll have to get "dressed up" - a nice pair of capris, a nice top, Birkenstock sandals, brush a little Bare Minerals on the face, and use the curling iron on my hair, but only if absolutely necessary.

Oh, how times have changed. I like it this way! ;)

Cataholic
07-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I would never inquire as to the age of others posting here, but, at 43, I long ago gave up dressing to impress. I haven't worn hose since the summer of 2004, and see more and more women (professionals..downtown...) doing the same. I am showered, with a minimal amount of make up (as I have pretty uneven skin tone) M-Th (my work days) and am lucky if I shower before dinner on the others. Why bother when my PLAN is to go to the gym each day. :) I wear suits next to never (unless it is a trial), and open toed shoes as much as I can.

I am a scruff around my house and only if I venture out into the yard do I put on what might pass as clothes. Otherwise it is lounging pants and a t-shirt, face washed bare and hair in a pony tail. Comfort has always ruled my life. Last night, after soaking himself in the hose, and having to leave the wet clothes at the front door, J was nekkid as the day he was born for 3 hours....telling me it was more comfortable for him like that. Now, I don't go that far...but, inside our house its our rules. :)

Medusa
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Last night, after soaking himself in the hose, and having to leave the wet clothes at the front door, J was nekkid as the day he was born for 3 hours....telling me it was more comfortable for him like that. :)

Oh boy, does this bring back memories of when my son was little. There were lots of days when I'd have to hose him down before he could come into the house. It's good to see that your little one actually plays outdoors. There are so many kids today who are planted in front of the TV or computer and may not know the pleasure of coming home, stinking dirty and exhausted.

As for myself, I've always been a girlie girl. I've always loved dressing up and never minded when I had to dress to impress when I was working. Then later on when I was cleaning houses for a living, I wore jeans and a T-shirt every day and in the evening because I was dating a biker, I wore jeans to go riding, too. I got sick of that and looked forward to times w/my girlfriends when we'd go to dinner and would dress up a little. Around the house I usually wear jeans or slacks now and in the winter I have my favorite velour suits but those are dangerous because I can gain weight and not realize how much until I try to squeeze the gluteus into jeans or a pair of pants that I haven't worn in a while. I still do my hair and makeup each day (usually) but since my office is now in my home, I'm not always presentable at 7:00 AM. :)

Cataholic
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
It's good to see that your little one actually plays outdoors. There are so many kids today who are planted in front of the TV or computer and may not know the pleasure of coming home, stinking dirty and exhausted.

This ties into the thread by Carole, about the fattest countries in the world. I firmly believe you must build exercise into a day. That might be by walking to get ice cream (yes, it is a treat....and I believe in treats), taking a bike ride to no where (and we just bought a 3rd wheel for J to ride behind me on my bike), walking the neighborhood with your dog. We went to brunch with my brother last weekend, and walked to the restaurant (not miles and miles, but, it is still movement). We walk to the movies the week before, we play at indoor play places when it is super hot. If you don't actively seek it out, it prolly won't happen in our typical day.

Playing outside is one of our favorite activities. J's grandpa built a 4 x 4 sandbox, which holds 400 pounds of sand. It sits outside, of course, away from TV, computer, etc. And, if he is outside, he is more likely to be moving along moreso than on the couch. (But, we do watch TV, too!!).

Medusa
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
As in everything, I think, balance is the key. Of course, my son was young during the time before home computers. Video games were popular when he was a teenager but he wasn't that interested. He's always been very active and physical, still is. You're right; physical activity needs to be instilled and encouraged at a young age.

pomtzu
07-14-2009, 11:16 AM
As in everything, I think, balance is the key. Of course, my son was young during the time before home computers. Video games were popular when he was a teenager but he wasn't that interested. He's always been very active and physical, still is. You're right; physical activity needs to be instilled and encouraged at a young age.

How I agree - as my grandson is sitting in front of the t.v. playing one of his dozens of video games, with a choice of 3 different game systems.

He acts like he's being punished if I tell him to go outside and play. I get the old - "but there's nothing to do outside".

It is more difficult for him tho, since we live in a rural area and he's not in town with a lot of friends to play with. There's no kids around here anywhere near his age, so there really isn't anything for him to do. I guess playing basketball or jumping on the trampoline gets old after a while.

One of the downsides of country living I guess. :(

Karen
07-14-2009, 11:34 AM
There's no kids around here anywhere near his age, so there really isn't anything for him to do. I guess playing basketball or jumping on the trampoline gets old after a while.

One of the downsides of country living I guess. :(

Oh, but there IS stuff to do in the country!

Look for arrowheads

Find the neatest rock you can - and it can just be one, so you may have to look for a while to make sure you have the neatest, coolest one, then make a grown-up help you look up what it is - quartz? feldspar? granite? Keep it until the next day, then find a better one ...

See how many plants you can identify in your yard.

Take a walk and gather wildflowers for a bouquet for grandma - good practice for future girlfriends

Do you know every tree in the yard? What kind it is, what's special about it?

Do a "nature study" - pick a spot and count how many birds (and what kind) and bugs - yes, from ants to beetles to worms ... you are allowed to pick up rocks to see what lives underneath - bonus points if you find a salamander

See how high you can climb in a tree, and what you can see from there that you don't see on the ground

Draw something every day. You don't need to be an artists, just do you best. It helps you execise a different part of your brain, always good. If you don't want to draw flowers, draw cars ... I promise you will get better by the end of the summer.

Flowing water in the yard? Build a little dam, just for fun. Be sure to destroy it before you go to bed - no need to flood the yard ...

pomtzu
07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Those are some pretty good ideas Karen, but if I suggested any, other than climbing a tree, he would think I had rocks in my head. I'm sure he would consider it as science homework. :eek: BTW - he'll be 13 next month.

He was in Sams' shopping with me right after school let out, and he begged and pleaded for me to buy a book that he wanted - said his teacher highly recommended it. Since he could use some better reading skills, I relented and bought it for him. I told him he was going to read a least a half hour everyday, and when he was done, he could write a book report for me. He's only thru the first chapter, so I guess you can figure how much reading he's been doing.

So yesterday I told him he'd better get to it. Everyday now, the t.v. goes off at 2:00, and he must read for a minimum of a half hour - or else!!! :(

Cataholic
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
For a 13 year old boy, locate some scrap wood and let him build something with it.

Medusa
07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a different world now, though. When my son was little, he could safely roam the neighborhood and all I had to do was shout his name and he'd come home. You don't dare let kids out of your sight nowadays. When I was little, we briefly lived in the country and I wouldn't come until supper time. I played in the creek, dug up worms, collected rocks, picked berries, talked to fairies and gnomes :eek:; I was exhausted when I got home. I ate dinner, then went out to play again and would catch lightning bugs (fireflies). Life was simpler and safer then.