PDA

View Full Version : Happy Bastille Day!

Karen
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
To our French copains!

Barbara
07-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Have fun at the fireworks- and don't forget to leave the kitties in ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM
That's right!!! July 14th is the equivalent of "4th of July" in France! They call it "Le quatorze juillet"

Killearn Kitties
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Any excuse for a party! Let's have a glass of champagne while we watch the fireworks!

Pinot's Mom
07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41302000/jpg/_41302997_bastillenight_afp300.jpg

http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa071400.htm

Bonne fête du 14 juillet :)

Sonia59
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Merci!
It's funny that you call it the Bastille day, I did not know that (one more English term I have learned from PT :)). We just call it "le quatorze juillet", as Lut has said, or "fête nationale".
There have been fireworks everywhere. We are lucky Peppito and Jasmine just don't care. They are not scared at all :) Good kitties.

Now living near Paris, I would have loved to watch a nice fireworks and take pics, but it won't be for this year. It's too late for Valentine who has to go to bed earlier so we stayed home ;) Next year may be!

Edwina's Secretary
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Merci!
It's funny that you call it the Bastille day, I did not know that (one more English term I have learned from PT :)). We just call it "le quatorze juillet", as Lut has said, or "fête nationale".

How interesting....it reminds me of a letter to the editor I saw last week (I DO live in Orange County, CA...the land the liberals forgot) complaining that we call our national holiday 4th of July instead of Independence Day!

phesina
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Happy 14th of July to all our French friends!

And here all this time I thought it was called Bastille Day there. and when I just Googled, or rather Goodsearched, "french flag pictures quatorze juillet", what do I read on one link but "... on the eve of the Quatorze juillet (vulgarly called Bastille Day by foreigners) ..." Well, ex-CU-U-U-U-SE ME!

Anyway... Laissez les bons temps roulez! (or is that just for New Orleans?) .. well, whatever is appropriate!!!!!..

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1369 http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1370 http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/chettarcheese/fireworks.jpg

phesina
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
How interesting....it reminds me of a letter to the editor I saw last week (I DO live in Orange County, CA...the land the liberals forgot) complaining that we call our national holiday 4th of July instead of Independence Day!

And just think, then we could observe Independence Day on the nearest Friday or Monday to make a long weekend out of it like we do for most holidays!. But somehow it just doesn't sound right to say this year the 4th of July was on the 3rd (even though it was, as that was the day offices were closed and people had the day off work).

Karen
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
We were always taught by our French teachers that it was Bastille Day! Lady's Human who had the same French teachers I did, confirmed to me that that is what they taught us! And one did NOT argue with Mme. Cassavante.

Edwina's Secretary
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
And one did NOT argue with Mme. Cassavante.

Just think...next class reunion you get to tell Mme. Cassavante...that according to a French citizen...she is wrong!

What fun after all these years!

Lady's Human
07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Mme. Cassavante WAS a French citizen..........

She was our French teacher. She taught French, and was a war bride from WW2. Her classes were about 50-60% French language, and the rest was French culture.

Moesha
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Here's a picture from when I was in France that they said was what remained of the Bastille.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/runningazoo/Card1345.jpg

Sonia59
07-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Perhaps Mme Cassavante was living for many years in the US, and took the English expression :confused: I have really never heard of the "Bastille Day".

And here all this time I thought it was called Bastille Day there. and when I just Googled, or rather Goodsearched, "french flag pictures quatorze juillet", what do I read on one link but "... on the eve of the Quatorze juillet (vulgarly called Bastille Day by foreigners) ..." Well, ex-CU-U-U-U-SE ME!

No problem! Actually, I like it better than "quatorze juillet", as it refers to History :)

Anyway... Laissez les bons temps roulez! (or is that just for New Orleans?) .. well, whatever is appropriate!!!!!..

What does it mean??? I don't understand it and I have never heard of it it either, but I remember I've read it previously on PT, perhaps posted by you.

Sonia59
07-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Here's a picture from when I was in France that they said was what remained of the Bastille.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/runningazoo/Card1345.jpg

It's correct. This is a miniature copy of the original castle, which was used as a prison when it was attacked on the 14th July 1789:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/Sonia59/Bastille.jpg

After the attack, it was completely dismantled and the stones were used to build other structures, such as the bridge "le pont de la concorde". This is why there is almost nothing left.

A detail for people interested in History: I always thought the 14th of July was celebrating the Bastille's attack, symbol of the French revolution. This is what I remember having learned at school. Actually Wikipedia says the 14th of July is celebrating the "fête de la fédération", which corresponds to the first anniversary of the Bastille's attack. So yesterday we did commemorate the 14th July 1790 and not the 14th July 1789!

I'm curious to know what my girl will learn at school in a few years! ;)

Killearn Kitties
07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Oh well you learn something new everyday! I was always thought that the event commemorated the storming of the Bastille, not the first anniversary of the storming of the Bastille.

That really is splitting hairs. :D

Pinot's Mom
07-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by phesina
What does it mean??? I don't understand it and I have never heard of it it either, but I remember I've read it previously on PT, perhaps posted by you.

Laissez le bons temps roulez is the theme of Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in New Orleans....

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!

It was also the theme of the Catmobile trip to New Orleans! :)

Sonia59
07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Laissez le bons temps roulez is the theme of Bourbon Street and the French Quarter in New Orleans....

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!

It was also the theme of the Catmobile trip to New Orleans! :)

I really learn a lot with this thread :D I did some search on a language forum I belong to, and I found it is a specific Cajun expression. And indeed, it's not correct at all in French. Some French translations would be "Que la fête commence!", "Eclatons-nous", or the closest "prenons du bon temps".

This thread is getting funny, I like it (that's PT!) :D

phesina
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Oh, how funny! Some "French" that French people don't know!

"Laissez les bons temps roulez" ("rouler"?) is the slogan of New Orleans, particularly the French Quarter during Mardi Gras. It is supposedly Cajun French (is that a lot different from French French?) and means "Let the good times roll!"

Karen
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Sonia, I knew as a child that "school French" was different than "home French" - what my French-Canadian grandmother's family spoke, and Dad also told me N'Orleans French was even more different than "school" (or Parisian) French!

My French Canadian relatives never spelled anything out for me, as Grandma didn't want me to learn anything but English, so I'd never be looked down on as she had been as the child of immigrants.

Edwina's Secretary
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Memorial Day was once known as Decoration Day here in the U.S. It would be hard to find anyone - under age 70 anyway - who would even know what Decoration Day is.

I suspect it is the same with Bastille Day?

Sonia59
07-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Memorial Day was once known as Decoration Day here in the U.S. It would be hard to find anyone - under age 70 anyway - who would even know what Decoration Day is.

I suspect it is the same with Bastille Day?

You must be right. I'm not old enough to know about it ;)

Karen and Phesina, yes there are different French. I don't really know how different the French Cajun is, but from what I have heard on TV programs about Cajuns, it's VERY HARD to understand. Most of the time there are subtitles. I imagine this is more similar to old French, but still more different from Canadian French, which is understandable depending on the strength of the accent.
But we don't have to go so far. Belgian French and Swiss French are also a bit different from French French. There are grammar differences (not that many though) and some Belgian/Swiss expressions are incorrect in French and the other way around.