PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Fasciitis

Moesha
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I searched previous threads and found a few mentions of this condition, but no threads dedicated to it. Since I was recently diagnosed with it, as well as a friend of mine, I thought I would ask those of you that have been affected by this painful condition a few questions.

I read that some of you wear crocs and that seems to help. Mine started after I couldn't wear my Birkenstocks for long periods of time any longer. This was due to wearing them in Prague. Something about walking for miles on the cobblestones caused the toe bar to do something to my big toe. It was numb for several months after that trip. Now when I do wear my Birks for an hour or two, that same big toe starts to hurt. I used to wear Birks all the time. Then I switched to crocs. They are good because I can wear them when I clean people's showers. After wearing them for awhile, I noticed a terrible pain in one of my heels. It would get so bad after cleaning one house that I could barely walk. I finally stopped wearing the crocs and the pain is not nearly as bad. I do some stretches. I also was told to do an exercise where you pull a towel toward you by using your toes. That one hurts! I haven't really noticed any relief from rolling my foot on a frozen coke bottle. I am trying to remember to wear shoes in the house. I really don't like that, but I do know that going barefoot is bad for this condition. I don't have to wear the splint at night. I don't have the signature terrible pain first thing in the morning. My friend is wearing the splint though. The orthopedic doctor didn't tell her if that was something she would always have to wear or if she only needed to wear it until the heel healed.
So what advice can people share?
What were the best exercises you found for helping the pain go away?
Does the pain ever completely go away or do you have to deal with this all the time?
I know heel spurs can come as a result of plantar fasciitis. How do you know if you have a heel spur? Did it feel differently than the regular pain?

catnapper
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I found that stretches help a LOT. What I do is stand with my toes on the front of a step and lean forward. It stretches the heel and calf muscles. Its not a quick fix (or even permanent) but it helps more than I can say.

Losing weight helped the most. I have noticed since I regained 20 pounds that my feet hurt like they used to.

chocolatepuppy
07-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Those stretches on steps or even on a mat at work, seem to help me a lot. I need to lose weight also.:o I always wear shoes, flip flops are a no-no, and even slippers with open toes are quick to cause me pain.

Moesha
07-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Something that I found interesting is that tennis shoes are recommended as often as possible. Last weekend I forgot to bring my Birks to work in, but I had my tennis shoes in the car. They are not very old New Balance brand shoes. I wore them to clean two houses. After doing that, my heel was much sorer than it had been in quite awhile.

Edwina's Secretary
07-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I developed some terrible plantar asciitis I thought I would never walk again.

It was right around the time we moved to SoCal. I had taken the train to LA for some classes and called my husband from the train station..."I don't think I can walk to to the train!"

I bought an ankle brace. Elastic and goes under the arch. I used it when doing Jazzercise or walking a great deal. Sometimes I would just wear it because it felt so good.

I did the exercises as well which helped....but it was really that brace that did it. It took quite a long while - but it has been at least three years since I have had ANY pain.

Moesha
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Where did you get the brace? Was it just like a regular brace you can get in a drug store? I've been looking at some of the splints online, but those couldn't be worn to do normal activities.

sparks19
07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I have it as well.

I wear arch supports. that is my problem. I have an EXTREMELY high arch. hubby has it as well but his problem is he is flat footed so it depends on your "condition"

He had to get special orthepedic insoles and I just use the Dr scholls insoles for now.

caseysmom
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
I had it a few years ago when I voluntereed at the bingo hall, I bought some cheap rubber things for my shoes, my pain was in the heal.

I haven't had any of that pain in a few years. Another guy I volunteered with was a walking mailman, he had to have cortisone shots every so often because of his line of work, he wasn't over weight at all.

happylabs
07-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes I have it to!!! I can't believe how many people here have it as well. Mine seems to come and go. The frozen soda bottle helped me. Also, I go to my chiropractor and he does ultrasound treatments although I am not sure this does all that much. My problem is I do not like to wear shoes in the summer time. I am in sandals or nothing. My foot doctor told me this is a no-no but I have been barefoot all my life when I can be. She told me to get the New Balance sneakers which I hated. I haven't really tried the exercises but I will after reading this thread.

jenluckenbach
07-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I had it a while back. I had not tried crocks at that time so I can't vouch for them during a flareup. But the condition is totally gone now and the crocs are practically the only thing I wear.

I placed this insole in my shoes and it helped a lot!!
http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=43#

There are plenty of insoles to choose from out there, but this one has an extra thick oval spot of padding at the heel and it was WAY the best.

I did the stretch where you bend your toes toward you, the most.

I wish I had a miracle cure for you, PF sucks, and it took a long time to go away. :(

moosmom
07-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I was diagnosed with it about 7 years ago. The doctor had me go out and buy an expensive pair of walking shoes and it did the trick. He told me no more heals (that was my demise while working as a paralegal) and to wear these walking shoes ($95) at ALL TIMES and it did the trick.

After a while it went away.

Daisy and Delilah
07-13-2009, 09:29 AM
I had a terrible bout of it many years ago. I bought some Dr. Scholl's gel heel inserts and arch supports for my shoes. I only wear "sturdy" walking shoes as long as I can get away with it. Sometimes, I have to wear dress shoes.

I couldn't walk very well at all. I used a cane and had to get up and stand for 3 minutes(at least) before I could proceed. I did alot of stretches. The one with stretching your toes hurts but is the easiest and helped me the most. The one Kim mentioned is good too. I stretched my foot every time I sat down.

Eventually, it got so bad, I dragged myself into the ortho doctor on a walker and got a cortisone injection in the heel. It was the one time that a cortisone injection helped me and it never came back that bad. I don't use cortisone anymore but I was glad I did that time. It was a miracle. I couldn't walk into the office that day without the walker. When I left, I was carrying the walker and went shopping afterward.

Good luck to you. I feel your pain.:(

Edwina's Secretary
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Where did you get the brace? Was it just like a regular brace you can get in a drug store? I've been looking at some of the splints online, but those couldn't be worn to do normal activities.

I got it at the drug store. Have them in black and white (to coordinate!) They are made of the same material as an Ace bandiage. Not bulky. I wore under my sock when exercising.

boomersooner
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Going to the ortho next week because I think that is what I have, too....I already wear tennis shoes all of the time....never go barefoot....For those of you who have it.....the heel pain is located in my left heel, but I'm feeling it now in my right. Also, both feet ache with shooting pains...Is that what you all have experienced? I'm sure he'll give me exercises and such, too.

Daisy and Delilah
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Going to the ortho next week because I think that is what I have, too....I already wear tennis shoes all of the time....never go barefoot....For those of you who have it.....the heel pain is located in my left heel, but I'm feeling it now in my right. Also, both feet ache with shooting pains...Is that what you all have experienced? I'm sure he'll give me exercises and such, too.

If you're feeling it in the other foot, you have it in both feet. This is pretty common because it's brought on by the same conditions. I was having terrible stabbing pains in the heel(I have had a lesser case in the other foot). I think I was having aching too. It was so much pain, I think it just hurt the whole foot. I can't remember for sure. Now, if I feel the stabbing pains starting again, I start the stretches right away. Actually, it's good to do them all the time when you have a chance.

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if I have this or not but if I wear thongs or sandals for a while my toes will start hurting. I'm sure it has something to do with my arch. I know that my mom has to buy arch supports and she puts them in all of her shoes. I bought some Dr. Scholls shoes with air-pillo gel insoles and they've really helped me a lot. I hate wearing shoes when I'm at home though and I mainly walk around in my socks or slippers.

Twisterdog
07-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I have this as well.

It started when I started wearing Crocs. I loved those shoes, I'm lazy and a comfort hound, so they were the perfect shoes for me! Ugly or not, I wore them all the time. After a couple months, my feet started to hurt. Badly. And it got worse. Finally I read somewhere that Crocs, clogs, flip flops, etc. are bad news. I got a pair of tennis shoes, and I always wear arch supports, and it helps. But even then, if I'm on my feet all day, I can barely walk by evening.

Some shoes work for me, and some don't. I have a brand new pair of adorable Sketchers, that I can't wear, they kill my feet. So do most skate shoes, sadly, I think they are so cute and can't wear them. I have a pair of DC's sitting in my closet for the same reason. I love my Zoo York high tops, though, and I will cry when they wear out. Ok, so I'm a forty-one year old grandma wearing hot pink and grey high tops with little skulls on them ... but my feet don't hurt! LOL!

carole
07-14-2009, 01:49 AM
I had this problem too ,when i started working out at a gym many years ago, well that was what the physio person told me , despite good shoes, i was in so much pain with my feet i consequently gave the gym up because of it, i don't have the same problems so much any more, but have very sore feet most of the time,but then i have fibro, so not sure which is causing what.

I have no advice except do stretches and seek physio treatment if possible.

RICHARD
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Time wounds all heels!:confused::eek:

Check out SPENCO inserts. I used to stand and walk at work, then played volleyball in the evenings. I had foot problems until I tried a pair of these inserts. I bought them when a salesperson recommeded them to me.

They are incredible and really make a difference- Buy the long insole with the arch support.

THEY WILL MAKE YOU FEET HURT-for the first few days. The tendons on your soles will burn! If you gradually build up your tolerance you will buy extra pairs for you other shoes.

--------------------------------------

One thing about thongs, flip flops and sandals.

Your toes 'grab' the shoe bed as you walk. I noticed that as my birkies got worn, I had to adjust the straps every so often.

I was putting pressure across the tops of my feet and my toes were going numb.

I also had a pair of shoes that I played VB in that had the strap that went across the top of my feet, that would keep my toes from smashing into the toe of the shoe, but adjusting the strap tighter just made the problems worse.

Thick padded socks, with cushioned heels and toes, are another way to keep your feet comfortable...Good luck!

http://www.spenco.com/insoles.shtml

Moesha
07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
My friend who was diagnosed with this at the end of June is better. She went to an orthopedic doctor and was given a round of steroids and a splint to wear at night. I've been doing the exercises and am still in pain. Although some days it is much better than others. I think that the vacuuming really aggravates my right foot. In trying to compensate, my left arch is now slightly sore. My friend lent me her splint to wear at night. Although I don't have the bad pain the morning that so many people mention. Mine is mostly after walking or especially working. I have thought back and I've had this heel pain for over a year. It's not always terrible. If I clean two houses in one day, that is the worst. I went to Disney back in March and it didn't hurt at all, even with walking around the parks all day every day. But it started again as soon as I got back to my routine. I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I am thinking about going to a podiatrist if this splint doesn't help in a few days. My massage therapist sister will be in town tomorrow, so I'm having her massage my back and feet for me. I wish it would go away.

boomersooner
07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I was officially diagnosed with this, too, on Tuesday. He gave me a script for orthotics....but he said give the exercises a few weeks before I spend the money. My husband has foot problems (thankfully surgically repaired in March, and he is pain free now..) Anyway, he went through his share of orthotics, and I'm just not ready to deal out 300-400 dollars right now.....He also gave me some heel cups to put in my shoes...I thought it was actually feeling better until I walked around Walmart tonight....not so much! I'll keep doing the exercises, and I need to go and get me a new pair of shoes. Good luck to everyone who has this nuisance.

kimlovescats
07-24-2009, 11:20 PM
My goodness, is this contagious??? I"ve been having the same thing for months now! It's not quite as bad at this current time but it had gotten absolutely miserable for months on end. SHARP pains in my heel and even in bed at night! I wear those gel heel inserts in my shoes all the time.

boomersooner
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
The weird thing is that it hurts first thing in the morning when you get up....I saw something where you can sleep with this stretchy thing on that keeps your Achilles stretched out while you sleep.....Lots and lots of people evidently have this and don't know it!

Moesha
07-25-2009, 04:33 PM
That's the odd thing is that mine doesn't hurt first thing in the morning. I did sleep with the night splint last night that I borrowed from my friend. She said that it really helped her. I didn't notice a difference this morning, but I will probably keep trying it for another week or so. My sister, who is a massage therapist, worked on my food this afternoon and thinks that my problem is more in the ankle area. I'm going to look for some stretches to do for that also.

boomersooner
07-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Mine doesn't hurt every morning, but it does more than not....It really hurts when I've been standing or walking on it....My arch has fallen a bit so I think that is where mine started. It isn't fun, that's for sure, but I guess there are much, much worse things to have!

DJFyrewolf36
07-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I just was diagnosed with this too on my right foot...I have to make an appointment with the podiatrist. Anti Inflamitories help a little but not all the time...streching helps too but sometimes for no reason at all it seems my foot starts to hurt really bad!

Is there any way to keep it from swelling up at night? This is where I have the most issues...

Karen
07-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Have you tried elevating your foot as you sleep? That might help, if you can.

Moesha
07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
There are some different kinds of night splints that will help keep the fasciitis stretched during the night. My friend wore that. Now, after just a couple of weeks, hers is much better. I have been trying it. I don't know if it is helping me because I never had the terrible pain in the mornings. Mine still hurts once I start working. I'm sure the podiatrist will know if a splint would help. There are several different kinds. Some are bulkier than others. Please let us know what the podiatrist says. I've been contemplating going to one myself. My friend went to an orthopedic doctor. She was given steroids to take. I know that some doctors will give a cortizone shot into the heel area if it is bad. Most will try other things first though.

boomersooner
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
I went to an ortho, and he said the cortisone shots would be the very last thing considered....he gave me the heel pads, gave me exercises, and gave me a script for a custom orthotic, but he said don't do that unless the other things don't work. There are a couple of stores in the Dallas area that specialize in just feet....I may go and see what they have...

MoonandBean
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I haven't read all the posts so I'm not sure if this has been recommended but I have known several people who have had good results from this:

http://www.thesock.com/

Also, try freezing a bottle of water and rolling your foot over the frozen bottle for 30 minutes 3x/day.

smokey the elder
07-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I've had trouble with heel pain on and off for almost 15 years. Lately, I've been wearing a flexible ankle brace on my right ankle and have noticed much less pain. I know the Achilles' tendon is involved; supporting it might help.

DJFyrewolf36
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
This is the wierd part...my heel doesnt hurt at all most of the time. The pain starts right behind my toes and goes through my arch. The heel seems fine though :confused:.

My ankle also is very sore, and swollen in the mornings although with streching and doing the roll the foot on ice thing that generally goes away for a while. Now my left foot is perfectly fine, not stiff or sore and the ankle isnt swelling. *sigh* lol.

Moesha
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I have no swelling at all. My friend's foot and ankle swelled up terribly. She thought she had fractured her foot. Yet, hers is all better and mine is the same.

boomersooner
07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
The first thing the doctor had me do is just stand on them....My bad foot rolled inward...never noticed it before....anyway, the arch has fallen a bit....I think that is why your arch is probably hurting...My pain isn't always in the heel, either...I also think my foot is swollen sometimes...I'm going to get something to help me keep my achilles stretched properly....

boomersooner
07-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Deb....that thing is exactly what a few posters have mentioned, but not by name....I was thinking of looking on a runner's website for something....Thanks!!!

Catty1
07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I saw "plantar fascitis" mentioned in this article, read it through and thought of this thread. Web links at bottom or article.

http://www.cochraneeagle.com/?p=6618

Sick of shoes? Back pain? Try living the barefoot life
July 29, 2009
By: Rachel Maclean

Cochrane runner Tina Dubois has seen it all when it comes to athletic injuries: plantar fasciitis, toe joint pain, ankle pain, shin splints, knee pain, IT band pain, hip pain and knee pain.

It was becoming so bad that Dubois had a constant pain in her back.

Al Gauthier and Tina Dubois are trying something a little different: going barefoot, or close to it — Tina is wearing “shoes” with only three millimetres of material separating the feet from the ground. She says walking barefoot is more natural and helped cure her chronic pain.

http://www.cochraneeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/20090729_barefoot.jpg
Al Gauthier and Tina Dubois are trying something a little different: going barefoot, or close to it — Tina is wearing “shoes” with only three millimetres of material separating the feet from the ground. She says walking barefoot is more natural and helped cure her chronic pain. (Photo by Rachel Maclean)

One day she read about a shoe called Vibram FiveFingers that only has three millimetres of material separating the foot from the earth, which essentially allows the feeling of going barefoot with protection.

“It was how conventional shoes causes a lot of injuries and how going barefoot can improve strength and agility,” said Dubois.

She had to try it.

After finding out that Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Calgary was selling the shoe she decided to try them out.

The very second she put them on the pain in her back was gone.

She didn’t even take them off to pay for them. That was last year and she has been wearing them ever since. Now she has six pairs and runs, walks and goes out everywhere in them.

“They are the only shoes I can walk in without getting a stabbing pain in my back,” she said.

She also has started to walk around Cochrane pathways in bare feet, something she said takes a little getting used to.

By going barefoot, or in the Vibram Five-Fingers, Dubois has become part of a movement sweeping across North America.

Dubois said the reason to go barefoot, or in minimalist footwear, is to allow the foot to move more naturally and builds better muscle and reaction. Her husband, Andrew, is even running massive marathons in the FiveFingers.

Some runners say because it changes the way you run you can go faster.

Dubois met up with Al Gauthier from Vancouver, who has been part of the barefoot movement for the last five years.

“I have enjoyed being barefoot all my life,” said Gauthier from Dubois’ home July 24.

Together they have started an online club called Living Barefoot, and also launched a podcast on July 15.

“The idea of the site, and the show, is there are a lot of people that have discovered minimalist footwear, or running barefoot, has many benefits over shoes,” said Dubois.

“The site is dedicated to that, for everyone from extreme barefooters to runners who want more information. It’s quite a mix.”

The goal is to inform people about how to go barefoot, but it also brings all the different barefoot philosophies into one website.

“The site came out of a lack of community,” said Gauthier. “There were sites for Vibrams, for just barefooters, just runners, but this includes them all.”

Gauthier said they have had very positive feedback from their website. “I think we filled a niche that wasn’t there before,” he said.

But that doesn’t mean everyone is on their side.

Gauthier believes it is a a societal taboo to go barefoot right now, but would like to see that changed.

He said it is a misconception for most people that going barefoot is unsanitary. For example, feet get just as dirty from wearing flip-flops, but people actually care and look more what they step in when barefoot.

“You are aware of what you are walking on when you watch the sidewalk,” he said.

Gauthier said some hard-core barefooters in big cities like Vancouver or Toronto go everywhere barefoot, but usually bring along flip-flops to not start conflicts in businesses.

He said once the bottom of the sole toughens up it is hard even for glass to penetrate.

Gauthier said there are actually are no health code violations for eating in a restaurant barefoot, but wearing shoes has just been a part of society for such a long period of time people assume it.

“If you’re the one in the kitchen then yeah, but you can’t wear flip-flops back there either,” he said.

It is also not illegal to drive barefoot.

“Everyone has been told for so long that you need shoes,” said Dubois.

Dubois thinks conventional shoes are actually causing injuries for some.

She said by walking barefoot the actual stride hits the ground differently. For example, runners will notice they use the balls of their feet compared to the heels and by feeling the ruts, rocks and dips in the ground the foot responds reacting by shifting the weight to certain areas of the foot.

While Dubois said more research is being conducted, there have been respected podiatrists posting information on the benefits of minimalist footwear. “What’s missing right now is peer-reviewed scientific evidence,” said Dubois.

Dubois said shoes have been made for so long for fashion and profit, but with all the fancy technology they actually don’t make the foot stronger.

She is also happy that the minimalist footwear is becoming more fashionable.

But Gauthier and Dubois want to warn people starting out with barefeet or minimalist footwear to take it easy at the beginning because the foot has to build muscle and toughness. It is a slow process.

“It is not recommended to walk in them all day,” said Gauthier. “When you start running go five minutes and then switch to normal shoes.”

“Our fear is that people go out and buy them and run for an hour,” said Dubois. “You have to do it the right way.”

For more information visit www.livingbarefoot.info or www.vibramfivefingers.com.