PDA

View Full Version : Did a hairball save Smudge's life?

columbine
07-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Today Smudge produced a hairball - and from near the tail end of it was protruding a stick, 2 1/2 inches long! :eek: Sticking out at an angle like the tailfin of a missile. If that had proceeded down his intestine, it could have been the end of him. Luckily, his tummy was full of fur, and it came out safely the other way.

I have no idea where Smudge would even have FOUND a stick, much less why he'd eat one. He never goes out, and there are no plants in here. But he made like a sperm whale (they make balls of "spermaceti" wax around the sharp, indigestable beaks of the squid they eat) and sent it out via Hairball Express. I am one lucky human, and Smudge is one lucky cat!

Love, Columbine

Catty1
07-12-2009, 07:38 PM
:eek::eek::eek: WOW!

Lucky Smudge - and lucky Meowmie!

Smudge, you CLIMB trees, you don't EAT them! :rolleyes::)

Karen
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Goodness, gracious, Smudge! Way to scare momma, dude! No ingesting sticks again, okay?

krazyaboutkatz
07-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Wow!:eek: I'd have to agree that the hairball did save his life or at least save you some expensive vet bills. One time my Pearl pooped out a red elastic string and I found the toy and threw it away. She was also one lucky cat.

RICHARD
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Could it be cotton candy on a wooden stick?:confused:

Do you own a straw broom?:eek:

columbine
07-13-2009, 07:49 AM
It was an honest-to-goodness twig, like from a bush or tree. All I can think of is it got stuck in my sweater or my hair and fell off in the house - it was too big to have come in in my shoe treads. I wonder if he just likes to chew? I'll try some grain-free chew treats, see what he thinks of them.

Love, Columbine

Freedom
07-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Smudge, you sure are lucky!

Whew!

Anikaca77
07-13-2009, 01:14 PM
My goodness....that's the biggest one I've heard of I think.

Glad he's ok.

catmandu
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Its incredible what Our Cats will eat and swallow, and we are just glad that Smudge was able to get rid of that twig without doing any internal damage!!!':):)

orangemm
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Lucky Smudge! Yes, it is incredible what our furbabies will ingest; just last night we went to a local farmer's market and bought some produce. It was placed in small plastic bags.

When we got home I set them on the kitchen counter. Archy immediately jumped up on one of the stools nearby and while I was putting groceries away, I heard a rustling sound. I thought he had his head in the bag and shussed him off.

Later, Jeff came in with a whitish ball in his hand. He said that Archy had hacked it up. To my horror, it was part of the plastic bag! Just in those few seconds he had chewed off the handles of the bag.

Lesson learned!:eek:

Smudge & Archy....NO MORE CHEWING & SWALLOWING STRANGE THINGS!

phesina
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
What a wonderful, fortunate break for Smudge and you!

lvpets2002
07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
:love: WoW never heard of a cat swallowing a stick before.. How so Lucky you are wittle one.. So glad your ok now..

Medusa
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Honestly, we just never know what these little felines are into! I'm glad that Smudge is ok.

momcat
07-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Smudge, where in the world did you get that stick? I'm still trying to figure out how you managed to swallow it :eek: Please sweetie, only food in the mouth, okay? And don't ever upset Meowmie like that again! You're one lucky kitty!!!