PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't like about Germans

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 04:32 AM
It's their narrow-mindedness, their arrogance, and their way to talk others down. Well, at least in German internet forums. That's why I barely post there, but sometimes I have to.

Like yesterday, when I found that the uploads on fotocommunity.de were no longer working with Firefox. I even downloaded the new Firefox version, but it was still not working. So I asked in the "informative general talk"-forum on fotocommunity if there were others with the same problem. Was told to empty the cache folder which I wanted to do, but I couldn't find the function in the new Firefox version, so I asked for advice. Eventually I found it, emptied the folder and the problem was solved. So far, so good.

This morning, there was a new reply in this thread, someone asked if this was a forum for "DAUs" (German term, Dümmste anzunehmende User, "most stupid user possible") who are not capable to do the most simple things at the computer. I ignored that, but it really annoyed me.

It's just so typical for my fellow countrymen and is one of the reasons I don't like posting in German internet forums. Another thing is the dictorial way these forums are run. For example, when you post something that has been posted before (even when it's years ago), you will be told to use the search engine of the forum before you post. And after that, they'll close your thread. Things like that.

Or, when you misspell something, it may happen to you that you'll be told to work on your orthographical skills. Saw this happen to obviously dyslexic people several times.

I'm posting in American forums for 10 years now, and I really have to say that I like them so much better, as I barely see things like that happening there! :)

Anyway, just had to vent a bit and point out why I'm glad that there are places like PetTalk on the web! :D

Kirsten

aTailOf2Kitties
07-12-2009, 04:42 AM
I have seen the same types of things happen on American forums. I have left more than one because of this. Every message board has at least a few jerks, but some seem to collect them. The longer the jerks have been members, the more "holier-than-thou" they get.

pomtzu
07-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Germans are supposed to be the "master race" :rolleyes: - according to Hitler - but that is ridiculous.

Kirsten - I don't think I would be posting on any of their forums either, if what you described is typical. Stay with us girl - we love ya'!! :love:

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 06:37 AM
I have seen the same types of things happen on American forums. I have left more than one because of this. Every message board has at least a few jerks, but some seem to collect them. The longer the jerks have been members, the more "holier-than-thou" they get.

Well, luckily this never happened to me in an American forum. Of course there were also jerks from time to time, but sooner or later, they all disappeared (used to be like that in the very first forum I registered with; a lot of bickering, but it was still fun)

Germans are supposed to be the "master race" - according to Hitler - but that is ridiculous.

Well, the funny thing is... even though most Germans carry a certain feeling of guilt with them re. those years between 1933 - 1945 and would tell you they are so different from the picture Adolf Hitler has drawn of their ancestors, I believe that deep inside they still think of themselves as something like a "master race", obviously the crap made up for us in those dark years is still alive in some peoples' brains, I don't know... :rolleyes: At least, they have to do everything with perfection.

Stay with us girl - we love ya'!!

And I love this place! :) Otherwise I wouldn't still be around after almost 9 years! :D

Kirsten

Medusa
07-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Wow! I wouldn't stay on those forums either if I was talked to in that manner. Leave those sites to the spoilers. That way maybe they won't search for other good sites such as PT and you can post w/a free heart. Jeez, I'm just amazed at how people talk to each other. I often wonder if they'd be so abrasive and brave to do it live, up close and personal. The anonymity of the internet allows some people to be arrogant bullies but I wonder if they'd be like that in person. Maybe not because then they run the risk of getting their faces smacked!

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 07:12 AM
The anonymity of the internet allows some people to be arrogant bullies but I wonder if they'd be like that in person. Maybe not because then they run the risk of getting their faces smacked!

Yup, most likely! But I also wonder why people have to do that. My "virtual self" is not so different from my real life one. Why should I pretend to be somebody else? :confused:

Kirsten

Medusa
07-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Yup, most likely! But I also wonder why people have to do that. My "virtual self" is not so different from my real life one. Why should I pretend to be somebody else? :confused:

Kirsten

I think it isn't a matter of pretending to be someone else. I think the internet gives them the courage to be the bullies that they are. They keep it inside when dealing w/people in person. You're not that way, Kirsten, so it wouldn't come out on the internet. IMO, it isn't pretense; it's the real person coming out for all to see.

Grace
07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

I agree. I have passed through several boards, of varying topic content, and it seems there is always at least one jerk.

Nationality plays no part in it - jerks are jerks, no matter the language they speak.

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 09:20 AM
IMO, it isn't pretense; it's the real person coming out for all to see.

Well, you could be right about that, and in fact, I find this even more scary! :rolleyes:

Nationality plays no part in it - jerks are jerks, no matter the language they speak.

Sure, jerks are everywhere, but what I often perceive in German forums is not only a jerk thing, but a matter of a certain mentality, or attitude. Spoke to some friends about this on the phone today (all Germans), and they felt the same way.

Kirsten

Alysser
07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
That is terrible someone said that to you, honestly how were you supposed to know. What a jerk!

I don't think there is a certain race in which people are "jerks", but I agree with Grace. Kirsten, if what you say about germans is true you are certainly the exception to that ;) Just stay with us and you'll be fine! :D

One incident in Italy stands out to me, there was a guy selling knock off watches and my cousin shooed him away with his hand. He wasn't rude, he didn't even say anything to the guy and guy started freaking out. We were in Piza at a cafe and there was a german family next to ours. The watch guy left and the german tourists gets up and starts calling us "ignorant americans". First of all, my cousin wasn't rude in the slightest to him and secondly, it's none of his business. When he saw there was 36 of us and four of them he sat his butt down and shut up. But anyway, it just stands out to me, that has no way hindered my thoughts or feelings about German people. That guy was just a nosy jerk.

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 10:10 AM
The watch guy left and the german tourists gets up and starts calling us "ignorant americans".

I'm sorry you and your cousin had this experience with that jerk! Yes, unfortunately, some Germans are like that. If there's someone telling me Americans were ignorant (or whatever), I'm usually telling them that I'm talking to many on the internet, and that they actually are so much nicer than Germans. ;) Usually, that makes them stop! :D LOL

Kirsten

Alysser
07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry you and your cousin had this experience with that jerk! Yes, unfortunately, some Germans are like that. If there's someone telling me Americans were ignorant (or whatever), I'm usually telling them that I'm talking to many on the internet, and that they actually are so much nicer than Germans. ;) Usually, that makes them stop! :D LOL

Kirsten

LOL, rest assured there are plenty of Americans like that as well. AND some americans are ignorant, can't argue with that logic. But it just confused me what exactly we were being "ignorant" about. It's not like my cousin was a being a jerk to the guy, he just wasn't interested. :p All races, cultures, religions, and individual people have there "jerks" so don't dwell on it to long.

Hellow
07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
This morning, there was a new reply in this thread, someone asked if this was a forum for "DAUs" (German term, Dümmste anzunehmende User, "most stupid user possible") who are not capable to do the most simple things at the computer. I ignored that, but it really annoyed me.

It's just so typical for my fellow countrymen and is one of the reasons I don't like posting in German internet forums. Another thing is the dictorial way these forums are run. For example, when you post something that has been posted before (even when it's years ago), you will be told to use the search engine of the forum before you post. And after that, they'll close your thread. Things like that.

Or, when you misspell something, it may happen to you that you'll be told to work on your orthographical skills. Saw this happen to obviously dyslexic people several times.

You should have seen some of the older Linux forums/newsgroups/mailing lists/IRC rooms/etc. If you *ever* asked something simple, the reply would either be "RTFM (Read The Freaking Manual)" or "JFGI (Just Freaking Google It or Just Freaking Get It)". Now, the majority of them are not like that, but a few still are. Like a lot of the ones related to older Linux distros.

Although, you really should use the search function :P.

Also, at the last comment in that quote, we call people that act like that "Grammar Nazis". We generally ignore them and move on.

Barbara
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Obviously forums are different - and Pet Talk is a very nice one.
I was always convinced that US-Americans and Canadians are so much nicer but now I would say the bigger a city is the closer it comes to Europe. I feel that in Europe people are breathing down each others neck much more and that makes them more nervous and more aggressive.
When I have visitors from overseas I always tell them our waiters are grumpy (which IMO they are) and then I come in with my visitors and we meet a very nice waiter who tries to speak English and is very friendly;)

I don't know any German who thinks of himself as part of a master race. I am sure there are some- but I don't know them. Right now I would say there are not more racist people in Germany than in any other country of the Western world.

About the Germans who misbehaved in Italy: obviously they have been very stupid. If now in Italy you buy fake goods you can get fined really high fines. Italian companies like Gucci don't like to see their purses and watches for 20 bucks- so you better shoo all the sales guys away or you may have to pay 2000 bucks:eek:

kokopup
07-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I worked with German Engineers for years when i worked in Huntsville for NASA. The attitude you mention I observed very often and thought nothing of it. I always just chalked it up as being German. The Germans especially engineering types are perfectionist and that is their nature. Later on in my work experience I was brought in contact with various nationalities that had their own way of doing things. I always attributed it to cultural differences in what was normal.

When Living in The Netherlands my wife had a very hard time adjusting because if you did anything wrong someone would let you know. There may be some unwritten law saying you only go down this grocery Isle this way. She would get cussed out in Dutch and would come home crying almost every day for doing something wrong and usually she had no Idea what. Once she learned more about the people and culture she learned to cope with their difference. She had to just
learn not to take it personal.

Kirsten
07-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know any German who thinks of himself as part of a master race. I am sure there are some- but I don't know them.

Oh, I do, unfortunately! :( Not all, of course, but there are some. Grew up in an environment like that - and I sure hope it did not rub off on me. ;)

BTW, I did not mean that in a racist (nazi) way, it's more this attitude that Germans tend to have re. perfection, organization etc. Or these complaints that we are not ackknoledged in the way we should be in some people's opinion. I cannot count anymore how often I heard people saying "They (other countries) love to take our money, but they don't like us...). I think it's just so stupid! LOL

kokopup, that sounds like your wife was having a really rough time in the Netherlands. I'd never thought there's such a mentality over there. When I was there for a holiday, the Dutch seemed to be very open-minded, tolerant people. But maybe it's a difference when you're living there.

Also, at the last comment in that quote, we call people that act like that "Grammar Nazis".

LOL, sounds good! :D

Kirsten

kokopup
07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Kirsten,
My wife loved our time in the Netherlands, and she would go back in a heartbeat. The main thing is the culture shock of moving from the "South" in the USA to Europe. In the South if you seeing someone doing something wrong you notice it but unless it was something extreme you would never say anything about it. The Dutch people although very warm people individually, are very ruthless in their day to day dealings with each other. The person that just knocked you down charging through a door would be very nice and cordial if you stopped them and ask a question. The Dutch did not believe in LINES (queues) and would push to get to the front rather than wait their turn. I guess this comes from having so many people on such little land. These were cultural adjustments that may not have been as evident if we were moving from New York or maybe the "Northern part" of USA. We tend to be a little more laid back in the South, even in the cities.

My son was stationed in Germany while I lived in the Netherland so we spent a lot of time in Germany. During Christmas time We would go to Austria for Holiday. Where he was stationed was right on the Mosel so we spent a lot of time touring that area. We even went to Octoberfest in Munich.

phesina
07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Along this line (as far as Americans go, anyway), a video from the Onion News Network: "Mexico Builds Border Wall to Keep Out US As*h*les" ... reported in Spanish with English subtitles!
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/mexico_builds_border_wall_to_keep

aTailOf2Kitties
07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I think the German attitude is contagious. My boyfriend has an aunt and cousin living in Germany. They are American civilians working for the US military in either Bitburg or Heidelburg (can't remember). Anyway, any time they come to the US to visit the rest of the family they are always going on and on how wonderful Germany is and how it's soooooo much nicer than America. After about a week of this we are usually more than ready for them to go back, LOL

Sonia59
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't belong to French forums. They are very impolite, always make bad jokes, answer completely out of topic and tell you that you are stupid posting such questions, that you should better not spend your time there, etc.

K9karen
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Off the subject for a minute..I have to ask...

Kirsten, and Barbara and other Europeans, I have to say..your
English is wonderful! Did you learn it in school? I mean, you use our idioms and everything. I'm dreadfully ashamed to say, that my 4 years of high school Spanish is a disaster. I know a bit (like baby talk), but now that our Hispanic community is growing, I'm thinking of heading to night school for a refresher.

I really admire multi-lingual people!!!

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I can honestly say that this is the only forum that I haven't gotten into a major flame war on (I say major because I did step on a few toes when I was new lol). Usually I get into some sort of arguement within days of joining a forum. The anonimity (sp?) of the internet makes people a lot more bold with words than they would be speaking to your face...:rolleyes:

I think its a phenomenon that crosses all countries and cultures with access to the internet lol.

blue
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
On some forums grammer and spelling nazis are part of the fun of the forums, but that is the lighter side of those forums as it gets much worse from there.

Of course every forum will have members who enjoy talking down to others, thankfully on PT its just a few.

Barbara
07-13-2009, 02:39 AM
English is wonderful! Did you learn it in school?

Thank you very much Karen :) I only learnt English in school for 3 years- and that was in the 60s. But I had (and have) to use it quite a bit at work and that improved it very much. The last finish however, especially in idioms, came with Pet Talk :cool: But I'm still afraid I mix British and American as it comes.

Kirsten
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
English is wonderful! Did you learn it in school? I mean, you use our idioms and everything.

Thank you, Karen! :) Yes, I learnt it at school, I think it must have been 8 years in total, but like Barbara has said, I too didn't start using idioms before I got some practice on the internet. We learnt the British English at school, so it's been somewhat different.

But even before there was the internet, I tried not to get completely out of touch with the English language, 'cause I didn't want to forget what I have learnt in all those years. Couldn't tell you much these days about any grammar rules and the correct use of tenses though... LOL

Kirsten

kokopup
07-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Kirsten , Barbara

Your English skill background is given away by your use of one word.
Learnt is the English version for the American word Learned.

All of our European PT friends do amazingly well with their post. If i had to post in German, French, Flemish, Spanish or Swedish I would be lost. I refer to various language dictionaries from time to time and am able to construct maybe a simple phrase if it doesn't contain more than 2 or 3 words. :D:D

I envy people that are Multlingual. When I lived in the Netherlands about 70% of the population spoke English. I went to Dutch lessons for a while but every time I spoke to someone in Dutch, when they heard my accent, they switched to listening in English. If I told them I am going to try to speak Dutch they would undestand me then. The only time I found an audience was when i spoke Dutch to someone that didn't speak English. I finally gave up because everyone I had dealings with spoke excellent English. Most of them thought they spoke Queens English but because they watched so many American movies it had taken on more of an American flavor.

Kirsten
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Learnt is the English version for the American word Learned.

See, this must be one of the remnants of what we have learned in school. :D I will try to keep that in mind! LOL

The Dutch, as far as I know, speak an excellent English, like the Danes, or people from the other Scandinavian countries. Much better than the Germans do, btw. I guess it's because they - unlike the Germans - see American or English movies or tv shows in undubbed versions.

Kirsten

Carol Bulger
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
You have that same sort of problems in every race. I myself just walk away from people like that because I consider myself a better person. Just remember one thing, we all have to answer to the same God one day.

Randi
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
It's annoying that on some boards people are very arrogant, but then, if you want help with something, you have to put up with it. Luckily, I'm not particularly interested in posting anywhere, but PT. :)

Speaking of learning other languages, I had English in school from I was 11 years old, and when I left, I took an evening class during two winters. I really wanted to learn English so I could read the pop magazines I bought (Fabulous and Rave I think they were called). I also wanted to understand the text in the songs I liked - so that was an incentive too. ;)

I met John in 79, but he already spoke Danish fluently, so we kept speaking Danish. He told me he started to go a Bar where lots of foreigners came (Pilegċrden), just to keep his English fluent - of course, there were other reasons for going there too. LOL! It was a fun place, run by a Canadian ice hockey player, a Japanese guy and a crazy Czecholovakian (yes, I had to look that up!) Even some funny Americans were part of the crowd! :D

kokopup
07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote by Carol Bulger

You have that same sort of problems in every race. I myself just walk away from people like that because I consider myself a better person. Just remember one thing, we all have to answer to the same God one day.

:confused::confused: Did I miss something here.

Sonia59
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I learned English at school, that was 7 years in total I think. The most amazing is that most French who can't speak English, or don't want to, all learned it at school! I love English and languages in general, so I was interested in trying to improve it. But my English really became fluent because I worked for 5 years in the Netherlands. As Kokopup has said, most Dutch speak English so it's hard to learn their language. When they realize you are not Dutch they switch to English, so after some time, especially at work, I gave up with Dutch and spoke only English!
Idioms come from PT mainly :D

K9karen
07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank you, Karen! :) Yes, I learnt it at school, I think it must have been 8 years in total, but like Barbara has said, I too didn't start using idioms before I got some practice on the internet. We learnt the British English at school, so it's been somewhat different.

But even before there was the internet, I tried not to get completely out of touch with the English language, 'cause I didn't want to forget what I have learnt in all those years. Couldn't tell you much these days about any grammar rules and the correct use of tenses though... LOL

Kirsten

Guess I'll have to start watching Telemundo more often.
I had a young landscaper from Nicaragua who learned his PERFECT English by watching American TV!

All I have to say is you all are amazing! I think some people have an "ear" for other languages. There was a girl at my high school reunion, who lived in Europe for over 40 years, travelling from country to country for work and she speak 5 languages fluently!! Picks it up like "that" (*snaps fingers*) One of my bosses took Russian during her summer vacation from college and spoke it fluently. Once a cabdriver tried to get one over on her (he was on the phone speaking Russian) and BOY! did she surprise him when she left the cab! We rolled over laughing!

kokopup
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I think with any language the younger you are the better. When i went to the Netherlands to work there were 5 other families there with children. We had engineers there from 4 different countries other than the USA. None of these kids spoke English as a native language. When we had been there about 6 months we had a party and all the families brought their kids. It was amazing because they were all running around talking a blue streak in Dutch. Dutch had become their common language in just 6 months.

Barbara
07-14-2009, 02:42 AM
I had a young landscaper from Nicaragua who learned his PERFECT English by watching American TV!

I learned most of my Italian by reading Topolino- that's Italian Mickey Mouse:D And I do well when I'm on vacation.:cool:

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Off the subject for a minute..I have to ask...

English is wonderful! Did you learn it in school? I mean, you use our idioms and everything. I'm dreadfully ashamed to say, that my 4 years of high school Spanish is a disaster. I know a bit (like baby talk), but now that our Hispanic community is growing, I'm thinking of heading to night school for a refresher.

I really admire multi-lingual people!!!

Thank you Karen!!
I started learning English when I was 13. I had English all the way through high school, at a rate of 4 hours per week. I also went to England on a "language exchange", where I stayed with a very friendly family. I went 3 times; this made my English better enourmously!
Then after I got married, we lived in London for 4 months in 1981, and we lived in the USA (St.Louis, MO) for nearly 2 years!
I just LOVE English!! I also speak French & German, but not very well though (Sonia know ;))

Kirsten
07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I really wanted to learn English so I could read the pop magazines I bought (Fabulous and Rave I think they were called). I also wanted to understand the text in the songs I liked - so that was an incentive too.

OMG, I was EXACTLY the same! I always wanted to know what my favorite songs were about, this has been a huge motivation for me and a great way to stay in touch with the language! :)

The most amazing is that most French who can't speak English, or don't want to, all learned it at school!

Sonia, many Germans are like that, too. Many of them speak a horrible English, to say the least, even though they had it at school for years! But I shouldn't judge, I had French for 5 years, but unfortunately I have to say I had absolutely no talent for it. :o

Kirsten

Sonia59
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I also speak French & German, but not very well though (Sonia know ;))

Your French and German are probably as good as my Dutch, Lut! ;)

I had French for 5 years, but unfortunately I have to say I had absolutely no talent for it

Exactly the same for me with German! And it's even worse after having spent some time in the Netherlands: when I try to remember about a few words in German, only the Dutch ones comes back :(

phesina
07-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I think this is fabulous, all you folks who have people with different languages and cultures almost right next door. You pick up your neighbors' languages just from familiarity, and you're interested in learning about others' languages and customs.

It would be like, say I decide to go 50 miles south to Ohio to visit Phred and Mary, and they speak a whole different language and have different customs from me so we have to figure out how to communicate. (Well, I've met Phred and found that he speaks about the same as I do, but I don't know about Mary.)

Actually, I can go about 50 miles east to a whole different foreign country, and THEY don't even talk much differently from us!

Kirsten
07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Re. Germans and their bad English...

You just have to look at this, it's one of my all time faves: :D

German Coast Guard trainee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY)

Kirsten

phesina
07-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh, how funny!

Thank you, Kirsten.

Catty1
07-18-2009, 06:13 PM
LOL! Good one! (Great ad for Berlitz, too. ;) )

RICHARD
07-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Re. Germans and their bad English...

You just have to look at this, it's one of my all time faves: :D

That was funny.

"What are you thinking about?"

HOW COLD THE WATER IS!:D

------------

I learned how to speak spanish from my parents and read and spell it from reading the comics from the spanish cartoon strips. The Phantom and Peanuts (Fantasma and Rabanitos)-

Later on I learned that Rabanitos are not Peanuts.......They are radishes!:eek::confused::D

Randi
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Good one, Kirsten! :D

Kirsten
07-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but the sad thing is... Many Germans sound exactly like that! :D They cannot speak the "th", or the "r"...

Kirsten

Barbara
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah- like me ;)