PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think? Gently Now :)

K & L
07-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Lately I've been letting Avon and Leila out back. They both have a few behavorial issues and this seems to calm them down a bit. Leila is pretty good about staying right in the yard, but Avon tends to wander more. I know this isn't the safest thing to do, not only for their safety, but for what they could bring in from outside.

I usually do this first thing in the morning for an hour or so. Avon drives me crazy getting on the counters. I've tried everyway possible to stop her and nothing has worked. When I'm trying to prepare food she jumps right up in the middle of it. :mad: So if I let her out while making breakfast etc. we're both better for it.

Leila was having peeing issues and this seems to calm that down. Anyway just wanted to see what you all thought and vent a little!:)

catmandu
07-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Some Cats have to be outside Cats , and I would never vent on someone who has done so much for Cats.:):)
Tubster Panthers dirty if hes indoors too much, and I have never gotten him used to a litter box.:eek:
Like You I feel bad that hes out where he could be in danger.:(
But until I enclose more of the backyard , I really have to pray that My Big Friend can stay close to home and be safe.:love::love:

Taz_Zoee
07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
If it works for you and the cats then I say go for it! It's not like you are throwing them out to live outdoors forever because you "can't handle them".
There are several kitties here on PT that have outside time. Since it seems to be bringing a little peace to the house then that's a great thing. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
If it's working out well for you and the cats then I'd continue to do it.:) As for the jumping up on counters, I've given up on scolding my cats for this. Sunny eats up on the counter and when it's hot they lay up on the counter as well as my glass dining room table. They're totally indoor cats so I'm not too worried about catching something from them. Good luck.:) I was hoping to see some pictures of your cats.;)

Karen
07-11-2009, 03:32 PM
As long as Avon has a collar, so if someone finds him when he's wandered a bit to far they know he's an owned and loved kitty, I see no harm in this at all.

K & L
07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
If it's working out well for you and the cats then I'd continue to do it.:) As for the jumping up on counters, I've given up on scolding my cats for this. Sunny eats up on the counter and when it's hot they lay up on the counter as well as my glass dining room table. They're totally indoor cats so I'm not too worried about catching something from them. Good luck.:) I was hoping to see some pictures of your cats.;)

Thanks everyone! It's not I mind her being on the counter it's just everytime I go to prepare food she's there. That I do not like. She'll jump up and hair goes flying everywhere. Otherwise I cannot prevent, nor do I try, to keep them off the counters.:) I just keep a bottle of disinfectant under the sink and spray and wipe everytime I use them.:)

Freedom
07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
My first cat, Amber, was a stray. No matter what I tried, he was NOT willing to be an indoor cat.

So we compromised, and I bought him a harness and leash. He was furious at first, but got used to the idea. For the 8 years he lived with me, we HAD to gout and walk around the apartment building, twice. Rain, snow, ice, sleet, hot, cold, he HAD to go out. He would stand at the apt. door and meow until I showed him the harness; then he would jump up on the sofa for me to put it on.

Twice around the building; NOT once, NOT 3 times, TWICE. Got it, yet? :rolleyes:

I had to walk at the very end of the leash, as far away from him as possible. If my sneakers made a sound on some stones on the parking area, he would stop and look at me over his shoulder. It was "that look," the one every cat owner has seen at one time or another, the one that says, "could you just be INVISIBLE please?" (I imagine anyone with a teenager has seen the same look. ;))

When I bought this house and moved, we got Dazzle. I didn't get the fence up in the back yard quickly enough, and he left the yard; a coyote got him. :( Once the fence was in, I could let the 3 who want out back there, and sit with them, and they were safe. Technically they could climb out I guess, but they were never that athletic. They kept looking for ways UNDER the fence. I knew they would, so it goes a bit into the ground. :D

So work out some system which keeps all of you happy, and keeps the kids safe. Collar and tag like someone said? Great. Timed outdoors? Good. Whatever works for all concerned.

mruffruff
07-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Do what's good for you and yours.

I have 11 cats. Two of them must be inside/outside. If Joey is kept inside only, he self-mutilates until he bleeds! Mac pees everywhere. So they can go out during the day, but must stay in at night. I still have a few puddles, and have to watch that no one beats up on Joey. A big outdoor pen just isn't enough for these two.

I still worry when they're outside and you will too. It's a MOM thing;)

Vermontcat
07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Do you have a fenced in yard?
Have you tried to train them to use a leash and harness?
It was really easy to leash train Milly & Izzy and they are happy if the get to go outside for 10-15 minutes supervised.
They are also naughty about jumping on the counters, we really have to be careful when we have food out or they will sample it.
Good luck in finding something that works for you.:)

Pinot's Mom
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Good luck in finding something that works for you.:)

That's the key - find what works for you. You're living there; we're not! :)

RICHARD
07-14-2009, 10:10 AM
It's not like you are throwing them out to live outdoors forever because you "can't handle them".

That statement brought back some memories and made me laugh.

When Ed was still a squirt, His mom got mad at him for being naughty and tossed his arse out the front door of the apartment. (later on I found out why she didn't have any patience)

She waited a few minutes to calm down, then opened the door to look for him.

She popped open the door and he walked in like nothing had happened!

:D

Lizzie
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I know what you mean about having a cat jump right into the middle of food you are preparing, it's far, far worse than simply having cats who get up on the counter. I yell at them when they are on the counter, which is quite rare, I screamed blue murder and chased when one jumped into my food - they all hid, but only for about two minutes so I didn't feel too guilty.

As others have said, we know you have done your level best to work with these two cats but you have to have safe living conditions for all of you and so comes the compromise. I now have an outdoor cat (a former beaten up stray tom who sprays a lot outside) who used to be mainly indoor, outside in the daytime only when the weather was fine. After his companion, Macduff, died early last year he started spending more and more time outside even in bad weather. Then he disappeared for several weeks. We've now compromised that I will feed him well each evening, bring him inside for July 4 and snowstorms, keep his shots up to date, and he will visit me every day so I can feel reassured that he is surviving. I know he's good around cars and racoons because I've watched him (I live in a very quiet suburb which borders untouched wild areas) but I worry every time I come home and he isn't waiting on the bench.

Good luck to all three of you!

happylabs
07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Get a squirt bottle and put water in it. Squirt them when they get onto the counters. I am thankful none of my cats get up onto the counters. That is something I won't tolerate. I do have a co-worker who successfully uses the squirt water bottle method.

Medusa
07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, my Coco Puff jumps up on the counter sometimes when I'm preparing meals, especially if he hears me tearing romaine lettuce. Look out! I toss him back on the floor w/a stern warning and if he does it again, he goes to the basement. Perfect world, I'd love to have all indoor/outdoor cats but it just isn't safe here. However, you have to do whatever works for you and your circumstances. Have you thought of microchipping? :)

momcat
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Sounds like it makes your kitties happy and a bit more relaxed. As long as they're safe outside go for it!

K & L
07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions! We do have squirt bottles in every room, but they do not phase Avon at all. In fact she will even let me vacuum her with the attachments. She has NO fear. She's maddening because we cannot do anything on the counter that she's not in the middle of. When I'm unloading groceries she's inside the bags before I can get the food out. Preparing food is almost impossible. I've given up cooking much (good excuse huh ;)) and to have company over is too embarrassing.

So what I do is let her out when I'm getting ready cook. She wanders around the backyard and about 1/2 hour later I let her in. Our backyard is fenced and she seems to stay in it, so far.

It is scary, but I'm at my wits end. I figure it's better than giving up on her, or Leila, and trying to work it out the best way I can.

Medusa
07-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Is there somewhere else that you can put her when she acts up, sort of like a punishment? As I mentioned, I put Coco Puff in the basement when he jumps on the countertop when I'm cooking. I lived in AZ for two years and my cats didn't live w/me then but my neighbors had lost cats to coyotes.

K & L
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Is there somewhere else that you can put her when she acts up, sort of like a punishment? As I mentioned, I put Coco Puff in the basement when he jumps on the countertop when I'm cooking. I lived in AZ for two years and my cats didn't live w/me then but my neighbors had lost cats to coyotes.

Yes, coyotes are a bad thing for the cats around here. Luckily we're not on the outskirts so don't see many around here. I have shut her in a different room when able to catch her.:eek: Believe me, I've tried about everything!