PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake! UPDATE 9/25

catnapper
07-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Someone who will remain nameless adopted a black lab puppy. BIG BIG BIG mistake. She hates Callie because of her hyper jumpiness, and this puppy is only going to be as hyper and twice (three times! :eek: )the size.

So, since this puppy is only 8 weeks old, its cute, sweet, and utterly charming. Give it 4 weeks... then biting and chewing kicks in. Give it a few weeks of potty accidents. A few weeks of heavy-duty leash pulling. I can imagine her reaction the first time he chews her shoes :eek: And lets not forget jumping! I have the vague feeling that this is a passing thing for her, and she'll become frustrated soon enough.

I have a baaaaddd feeling about this. I CAN NOT tell this person that this is a huge mistake. Trust me on this one. Neither can my husband. Yet, somehow we'll be the ones taking in the puppy when its charm wears off :(

Big sigh. This person is all excited because she got a free pure bred puppy. I SERIOUSLY question free pure bred dogs, especially in this area. We live in puppy mill territory. God help us if she got a puppy mill puppy with inbred health issues :(

This isn't a cry for how to deal with the dog. Its not ours, and there's nothign we can do about it. I just see a major problem in the making and am totally unable to say or do anything about it. I'll just be the idiot who opens my home to the puppy when the fun wears off (and indeed it'll be WHEN)

Freedom
07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh dear.

Well, start getting the house ready for a puppy, then.

Taz_Zoee
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh no. You put up with so much from this "nameless" person. But you've got such a big heart I'm really not surprised. And I know you could never turn away a child or an animal just because of her irresponsibility.
I just hope the puppy will come to you and not be dumped some where else. Maybe we can help find it a home when the time comes. Hmmm...how far away from Cali are you? Maybe by that time my brother will be ready for another dog. ;) :p (Unless I get him to get one this weekend)

moosmom
07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
If it's who I think it is, WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???? Better you than me.

Catty1
07-11-2009, 12:20 PM
WHAT WAS SHE THINKING????

Putting her and "thinking" in the same sentence might not be quite accurate here... (sorry, Kim!) :rolleyes:

But yes, Kim - why not line up a couple of potential homes for this puppy down the line? And when she is fed up with puppy, give HER the phone numbers to call.

If you take this pup, then she will be able to 'test run' all kinds of pets (potentially) and turn them over to you when they aren't cute any more.

Just a thought.

catnapper
07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Hee hee.... so its not hard to guess who got the puppy! :D

I hope beyond hope that she surprises me. She's living with her boyfriend, who hates pets (he's the one who told Cameron that cats were for target practice) so this has disaster written all over it.

Hubby and I have talked about it and we both agree the puppy will be house hunting in a few months. I have let my feelings known that I do NOT want a puppy at this point. I just added another cat to the crew - I don't need a puppy too! :eek:

momcat
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh that poor little puppy :( Please forgive me Kim, but this is a disaster just waiting to happen. Do you know if the little guy has been seen by a vet yet? My prayers are already being prayed for this puppy.

catnapper
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I hate being right. She's giving up the puppy. She says its because she has potty issues and Cameron is mean to her. Ummm... Cameron can be rough with the pets, but never mean.

I asked hubby what she plans on doing with the puppy, and he said he doesn't know, but he's also not offering to take her.

Sigh, poor puppy. She really is a sweet dog.

pomtzu
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't you just hate it when you're right??? - in a case like this anyway!

Can you foster the pup till you can find it a home?

lvpets2002
09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
:o Trust me its a good thing she is giving up the puppy.. Oh I used to think Labs hung the moon until I had two of my own at diff times.. They are like you said Hyper, Diggers & can have some very serious medical problems & rear end problems.. My first Lab had all of that.. We was at the Vets more than we was not.. So glad you did not get stuck with the pup..

Catty1
09-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I think "she" can phone Humanes and shelters and find a foster on her own. If she is able to pawn it off to mom and dad this time, she will keep doing it.

JMO