PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers?

RICHARD
07-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I was going thru my pile of newspapers to toss out.

I have subscribed to a newspaper for years. I haven't figured out a way to drag my computer into the bathroom when I want news.:confused::eek:

Just because it shows up in print doesn't mean it's true-but, I trust the local fish wrapper more that I do with the Internet. Lately, I have noticed that the
'speed' of internet news often competes with the veracity of the info in the story.

Anyway, I was looking thru the pile and came across the Mike Jackson headlines and I stopped to think, "Is this worth saving?"

-----------------------------------------

Do you save newspapers?

Do you go out and buy a paper when a news event happens?

I have a box or two of old papers that I peek into when I have to move them-that is great fun - the ads are the best!

Moesha
07-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I have newspapers from the day Andrew and Fergie were married and some from when Joe Montana played football. I once took a personality test online that lets you know what animal you are. I was a mouse. It said that a mouse saves newspapers. That wasn't one of the questions either! I should find that personality test and post a link. It is pretty cute.

Grace
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I have saved some in the past - now, not so much.

I do have newspaper articles that date back 100 years. Paper back then was made to last! The articles are about my grandfather winning a New York to Bermuda yacht race.

We do have stashed away a couple of front pages from the years the Tigers won the World Series, and '97 when the Wings won the cup.
What I like to keep are the commemorative magazines put out by the local papers.

Catherinedana
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I keep newspapers (and catalogs) to line the bird cages. I don't actually collect newspapers, I simply take a whole pile of the local free ones when I find them available. I don't read the newspaper. . .it's depressing, mostly.

I get many, many, many, many, many, many (get the idea?) catalogs in the mail and so if I'm out of newspapers I take the staples out of the spines and use them to line the bird cages, but they are slick and don't absorb messes as well. :p I use them only when necessary.

Taz_Zoee
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I haven't figured out a way to drag my computer into the bathroom when I want news.:confused::eek:

It's called a laptop computer. :p ;)

No, we don't get the paper. My father does. He likes to sit outside and read while smoking his cigars. Yuck! And he is the most non computer literate person I know. When he needs something he'll have someone else look it up online for him.

RICHARD
07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
It's called a laptop computer. :p ;)

IT's bad enough that people sit on the pot and text!:eek::D

Karen
07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
We have a few old newspapers that Aunt Bertha saved, but we don't tend to save any ourselves.

I but the Sunday paper from time to time, but otherwise don't get the paper.

Cataholic
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Richard, there ARE other things to read besides the newspaper.

I kept the paper the day after Obama was elected into office. Other than that, I might have a few (less than 5) other papers. I don't buy the paper, read the paper (online or in print), or, really even watch the news. While that might make me seem unconcerned, or, less worldly, I really don't mind. I read enough other 'stuff' to make up for it. Plus, watching the news would take away my time watching "The NEW Family Fued" or "Reba". LOL.

RICHARD
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Richard, there ARE other things to read besides the newspaper.

I read like I breathe.

If it's on paper, I'll read it. I have a few books going, my racing rags and what ever comes across my lap.

MOst of the time the news is on as a background-Gee, I just realized that I multitask!- noise generator. I also like the radio, talk radio and music!

The most fun is getting up early, grabbing the paper and listening to the local talks shows discuss the stories in the background. having people think for me is most appealing!:eek:;)

Pam
07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
having people think for me is most appealing!:eek:;)

They are all vying for a piece of your mind. Be careful who you give it to! :p

We get the weekend newspaper (local) and I like it mainly for the store coupons and to read up on what's on sale and to find out what news or crime may or may not have happened locally. I once read that a bank was robbed two miles from my house. :eek:

lizbud
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't get the paper delivered, but I buy it a few times a week.
I get a lot of news online, but really enjoy reading newspapers. They
always have smaller stories & articles that you miss online. My favorite
section is the funnies & advice columns. Always read them first.:D

I don't ever save the papers, but I always check to see if I missed
anything & then throw them away.

joycenalex
07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
we get 2 papers delivered each day. i do read 75% of the columbus dispatch and 60-80% of the new york times. i almost never the read the sports section and rarely the classifieds, but comics are first, then the advice columns, then the local stuff then the national and editorial pages. uncle pete, at the rainbow bridge, taught me to read by reading the detroit free press(then the morning) and the detroit news.(the evening paper then) comics to and with me. i'm reading the comics to helena now. when i moved into my adult life i took the local paper, and a national one if possible. a news junkie

kitten645
07-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I really like the "idea" of newpapers but truthfully I just don't have the time. I certainly don't keep them unless there's something special. I have the Obama issue, Princess Di's wedding and John Lennon's death. I have the snipped article of Johnny Science when he answered my sisters question and she won a globe! I'm addicted to the Huffington Post so that's where I go first thing whenever I get on the computer. I do find the news depressing and so negative. I also think that the 24/7 news feed on CNN etc can only lead to desperate measures to get anything that's "news" be it "news worthy" or not. I had to laugh at the CNN commentary on MJ's death when the reporter said "Michael Jackson will only die once." :rolleyes: Ya think? LOL

finn's mom
07-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I'll do that with magazines occasionally, but I've never really bought a newspaper. I may start cutting coupons, so a newspaper may be in my future once or twice a week.

I don't actually read the news much, I leave that up to David. He used to be absolutely obsessed with current events, but has found that he is a much more pleasant, less stressed person now that he isn't so wrapped up in it. He does keep up, but he isn't submerged. I refuse to watch the news. If I do get it, it's via print, whether on paper or screen.

I think it's a great idea to grab a paper or periodical and keep it, though. It's part of history.

Freedom
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I get the paper delivered daily, LOVE to read it over my morning coffee. I usually have one dog and one cat in my lap to prop it up! :D

I marked "save them my pets need them" in th epoll. I save the papers in a box, toss the ads, comics, color sheets in the recycle bin. Once per month I take all the papers in the box to the local shelter, they desperately need them to line the cat cages. So, not really for MY pets, but that was the closest in the poll.

I sometimes save a memorable event paper for a month or 2, then it just gets in my way and I can't stand it any more; into the box it goes!

RICHARD
07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
On CNN today they were having a retrospective on the moon landing.
On the desk in front of Buzz Aldrin and Wolf Blitzer are two yellowed newspapers from July 20, 1969!:D

I love it!