PDA

View Full Version : Phishing - what is it?

Freedom
07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I 've used various virus protection over the years.

McAfee - didn't help me much, I kept getting into trouble!

Norton - used that for 3 or 4 years, then bought Norton 360 by mistake. It took up so much memory my computers slowed WAY down.

Just loaded Windows Live One Care today . . . and discovered that the anti phishing ONLY works on Internet Explorer 7.0

I use Firefox

Am I in trouble? What IS phishing? Do I really want to know? Any way around this now that I bought and installed the Live One Care on BOTH computers???

Thanks for comments, help, ideas.

blue
07-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Firefox 3 has built in anti phishing.

Karen
07-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Phishing is when software or programs or people "phish" for email addresses they can then sell to spammers as legitimate addresses. Nothing you want to be a part of!

Hellow
07-08-2009, 07:34 PM
From Wikipedia (I couldnt explain it better):
"In the field of computer security, phishing is the criminally (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal) fraudulent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud) process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password) and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Communications purporting to be from popular social web sites, auction sites, online payment processors or IT Administrators are commonly used to lure the unsuspecting public. Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail) or instant messaging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_messaging),<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#cite_note-0)</sup> and it often directs users to enter details at a fake website whose look and feel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_and_feel) are almost identical to the legitimate one. Even when using server authentication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security), it may require tremendous skill to detect that the website is fake. Phishing is an example of social engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28computer_security%29) techniques used to fool users,<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#cite_note-1)</sup> and exploits the poor usability of current web security technologies.<sup id="cite_ref-Jos2007_2-0" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#cite_note-Jos2007-2)</sup> Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislation), user training, public awareness, and technical security measures."

Freedom
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Firefox 3 has built in anti phishing.

Whew! Safe.

That stuff sounds nasty; well, I KNEW it was. Glad to know I am "covered!"

Thanks everyone.

Medusa
07-09-2009, 05:37 AM
I was phished last year. A site claiming to be one of my credit card companies said that they needed me to update my account. The logo and everything was identical to the cc acct. I almost fell for it until questions such as "What is the account number where you finance your car?" and "What is your debit card account number?" etc. appeared. No way my cc company needed that info. I didn't know if this was taking place in real time or not so I immediately clicked out and went to my bank, let them know what happened and I closed the account. It could've been disastrous.

smokey the elder
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
YOU are your own best defense against a phishing scheme. If someone sends an email asking for stuff like that, it's best to contact the REAL bank, creditor, etc. and let them know. This kind of thing adversely affects their business, as well, and they like to know aboutit.

Cataholic
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
YOU are your own best defense against a phishing scheme. If someone sends an email asking for stuff like that, it's best to contact the REAL bank, creditor, etc. and let them know. This kind of thing adversely affects their business, as well, and they like to know aboutit.

I am amazed that people still fall for this stuff. You can count on one news article a week, or comment on the TV about people giving out all their personal information because of an email request! ACK!

Hellow
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I am amazed that people still fall for this stuff. You can count on one news article a week, or comment on the TV about people giving out all their personal information because of an email request! ACK!

People like that shouldn't be online in the first place.

Medusa
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh for Pete's sake! "People like that" are average people, not some dummies who can't read or write. Phishers are so good now that they make the phony websites look like the real thing, which is why people can be fooled. It's easy to be judgmental when you're perfect, eh?

pomtzu
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh for Pete's sake! "People like that" are average people, not some dummies who can't read or write. Phishers are so good now that they make the phony websites look like the real thing, which is why people can be fooled. It's easy to be judgmental when you're perfect, eh?

Reggie the Revered knows all - didn't you know that??? :rolleyes: :eek:

kokopup
07-09-2009, 10:37 PM
It is Phishing but it takes on a different tone. I get at least 3 or 4 different versions of the Nigerian scam a week. I can't tell you how much money i can receive if I just send them all my email and address information so the trustees will know where to send the necessary paperwork. Now these are the ones that I don't know how people can be taken in. You
would really have had to just gotten off the "Punkin truck" if you fall for these.

blue
07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
You would really have had to just gotten off the "Punkin truck" if you fall for these.

Yor're not siding with the Rev Reggie on this are you? :D

kokopup
07-09-2009, 11:32 PM
There is a difference in an email that looks like it is from your credit card company and one from some Barrister in Nigeria promising Millions for no apparent reason. He doesn't know my name and half the words in the Email are misspelled. I would not fall for either approach but if you fall for the Nigerian scam you are either very stupid, greedy or both. If phishing did not work then phishers would be out of business. It appears the folks in Nigeria know us Americans are a bunch of stupid greedy people. They make millions off of their scams every year. Some of their scams are very well conceived and hard to detect, however the Email
millions is not one of these.

On this one I am not agreeing with Reggie.

caseysmom
07-09-2009, 11:39 PM

You could also argue that folks with no social skills should stay out of forums.

Hellow
07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
You could also argue that folks with no social skills should stay out of forums.

You should see some of the trolls around the internet.

pomtzu
07-10-2009, 07:32 AM

IMO, most people come here because they find a lot of decent and sensible people to have intelligent and meaningful discussions with, and in doing so, avoid the "trolls around the internet" as you say.

If you want to come to PT and play with the big kids, then maybe you should act like one, if you expect to gain any respect. All that you seem to be doing at this point, is showing how young and immature that you are. To gain respect, you need to be respectful, and talking down to us "old folks", will never earn you respect, nor will you be taken seriously about anything.

So maybe if you stop and think about what you post before you post it, you can change the negative opinions that some PTers have of you. But like the old saying goes - "If you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen".

Medusa
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Trolls and people who are naively taken advantage of by phishers aren't the same thing.

caseysmom
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM

I've been surfing since your were in diapers, I have seen the trolls...just choose to stay away from places they go.

Freedom
07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I have decided that Windows Live One Care is . . . NOT FOR ME!!

It is going in the junk pile, I am going back to Norton.

Once I got it install, neither computer would start up until I went through a whole bunch of steps, include getting a totally black screen where I had to hit
ctrl - alt - delete
to get Windows to boot up.

Folks at Windows Live One Care seemed to think that problem was due to me using Firefox.

It wouldn't "talk" to my printer, which is an Epson Stylus CX 5800. According to all their info, it works with all Epson printers. BUT,t hey ahve never actually TESTED it with each on, so now they know it "may not always work with this model." Hello?

I had to use PC Recover this morning on my desktop it was so totally fouled up. UGH!! Thought I got everything, I lost stuff in MY PICTURES folder, photos, vids etc. For the past 8 months. :rolleyes:

Nope, not for me.

blue
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Freedom, dont go back to norton. Download and install either Avast or AVG anti virus. Either of those use way less resources and they are free. I prefer Avast and my stepdad has AVG on his computer.

pomtzu
07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Sandie - I've used Norton 360 for almost 2 years now - and never had any problems with it. It seems to work for me. The only slowdown I noticed is the initial startup when I first turn the computer on in the morning, but I can live with that. I just turn it on - go sit outside with the poochies while they go - get my bowl of cereal, and by then it's good to go. ;)

Freedom
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Freedom, dont go back to norton. Download and install either Avast or AVG anti virus. Either of those use way less resources and they are free. I prefer Avast and my stepdad has AVG on his computer.

Ah geepers, I am too quick on the draw, just bought it on line. The Norton that is. I did NOT get the 360 however.

Thanks for the info, I can refer back to this in future! AND I marked it in my folder -- my old timey hard copy file folder which sits in my file cabinet behind my computer. ;)

Hellow
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
If you want to come to PT and play with the big kids, then maybe you should act like one, if you expect to gain any respect. All that you seem to be doing at this point, is showing how young and immature that you are. To gain respect, you need to be respectful, and talking down to us "old folks", will never earn you respect, nor will you be taken seriously about anything.

Since when was that not a part of being a kid?

I do not think that I am acting all that out of line, but you consistently putting down every one of my posts shows that you and about 4 others are holding a grudge against me for a reason I do not know. Is it because I actually act like a kid? Is it because I act arrogant on some issues? Is it because I act like a know-it-all? Please, tell me.

Hellow
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM

I can second that one. Norton and the like are all over-bloated high-price programs that can easily be replaced by free software like AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy which draw much less resources than any of the retail suites.

pomtzu
07-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Is it because I actually act like a kid? Is it because I act arrogant on some issues? Is it because I act like a know-it-all? Please, tell me.

Arrogant and know-it-all - most definitely - and it seems that you already know and admit this.

There are other "kids" on here that post in a very mature manner. They don't talk down to people - they don't give the know-it-all, been there/done that attitude. Just because you might have tech knowledge, is no reason to make comments about other people's posts, and imply that you know all and they know nothing. You're not talking to your school friends here - the vast majority are old enough to be one of your parents or grandparents. Do you talk to them that way? If you do - then you ought to be ashamed of yourself, and if they tolerate it - well shame on them too.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with acting like a kid, but you need to learn social skills if you want to mingle with the adults. I have grandkids and the one that is younger than you, has more sense than to act like some big shot that knows everything.

As I said previously, think about what you post before you post it, since you seem to be quick with the flip comments. Most people would much rather talk with a sensible kid, than one who tries to give the impression of being knowledgeable, but ends up looking stupid (and I use that term loosely, since you obviously are intelligent in some fields) when all is said and done. Doing so, just alienates people toward you.

You wanted it - so there it is. Take it for what you consider it's worth, but I hope you see what I'm getting at. I'm not speaking for any others here, but I would suspect that they feel the same way.

blue
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree with Reggie, people who are susceptible to social engineering attacks should not be using the internet for their own protection. My step dad is one of those people.