PDA

View Full Version : Broken into...

Queen of Poop
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Our house was broken into yesterday between 9 and 1:15 pm. I had to see the stomach doctor and then get blood work done. Sometime during that time some dudes walked off with our 60" tv, both my computers, both my cameras, my ipod nano, hubby's golf clubs and all the beer/pop in the garage fridge.

Fortunately no one was home and the pets were left untouched.

If it was the same bad dudes they also hit another acreage home, but there was a 16 year old girl home, they threatened her with a screwdriver and then took off.

Grace
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I am so sorry. That's such a sick feeling when you know someone has violated your space. Will insurance cover the stuff?

Thanks goodness the critters were left alone.

Pinot's Mom
07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm so sorry. Unfortunately I have had that experience and it's really tough to get beyond that feeling of unrest, but you will! Things are replaceable, the pets and humans are not. Concentrate on that - Peace.

kb2yjx
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Gayle!! Thank heavens none of the cats were hurt!! It is a terrible thing when this happens...Hope they catch these guys ASAP!!!

ramanth
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I am so sorry. :( I'm glad you and the cats are okay!

A similar robbery happened to friends of ours. The husband ran into town to get gas for the tractor. His wife left sometime after to run some errands. When the husband got home (15 minutes after his wife left), he found the front door open and the tv, cameras, golf clubs, and all her jewelry were gone.

:eek: :mad: :(

K9karen
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm so sorry. In our old neighborhood, we were broken into 3x. That was over 40 years ago, and I can still remember. It's an icky feeling to be violated like that. I hope they catch the jerks. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. Stuff is replaceable. (except my 1st 35 mm camera with my pic of Paul McCartney's house in it )

Medusa
07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
How frightening! I'm glad, though, that you and your furkids are all safe. Hopefully, insurance will pay for the loss.

Cataholic
07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I am so sorry it happened to you. It IS a very disturbing experience. It happened to me twice. The first time- broad daylight, work day, between 1 and 415 pm, on a VERY busy corner, 11 unit apartment building. No one heard/saw a thing. Thankfully, my RB cat Tex was frolicking in the backyard unharmed.

The second time was in November, 2004, my first day back to work after J was born. It was done by one of the kids I had hired to do yardwork. :( Of course, duh, I knew who did it.

It took me a while to get over the first one, and the anger of the second one at least kept me from crying all day long being away from my 2 month old baby. Insurance covered everything each time, thankfully.

gini
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I am really sorry that this has happened to you. As everyone has said, it makes you feel so violated - someone stealing your things and going through all of your drawers etc.

I sadly, had the same experience and they got every single piece of jewelry I owned except for what I was wearing. What I had was not that valuable in dollars - but no price could be applied to the sentimental value of things from my relatives.

Before you report all to the insurance - be sure to look around. A friend was burglarized and it was months before she realized that all of her luggage had been stolen as well.

Catty1
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Any news, Gayle? Did the cops catch anyone or find any of your stuff?

That's really a scary thing...I hope you and hubby are feeling ok. Yikes. Our homes are "safe" territory...:(

Marigold2
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I am so sorry for you. How terribly upsetting. Hopefully these creeps will be stopped soon.

Queen of Poop
07-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Any news, Gayle? Did the cops catch anyone or find any of your stuff?

That's really a scary thing...I hope you and hubby are feeling ok. Yikes. Our homes are "safe" territory...:(

Called the RCMP for a case number and an update today. Got the case number and no news on whether they found the dudes. I know someone is trying to access my dell computer though, it keeps sending emails to my blackberry. Hubby is fine, could almost care less, I am a nervous wreck. Hearing noises all the time now. I'm home but all the doors are locked tight. Can't stand to sit in my living room with the missing tv. I feel like the prisoner.

lizbud
07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. It's more than just taking your "stuff",
it robs you of your piece of mind in your own home.:(

It happened to me in 2004, I think I posted about it right after it happened.
They pried open my back door while I was at work & cleared out the place.
Insurance will replace the "things" but the effects linger for a long while.:(

Catty1
07-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Gayle - maybe ask about victim services...even just a chat or two with someone might help a bit.

{{{{{hugs}}}}

PS...the emails coming to your Blackberry...can you display full headers on them? It would show you the IP address where they are coming from. The RCMP can likely check this out for you too.

phesina
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm so sorry. That happened to my parents once, too. They felt so violated afterward. (Well, they HAD been violated!)

And it was done while my dad was at work and my mother was away from the house for about an hour in the late morning to do some shopping, so the burglars had apparently been watching the house for a while to get an idea of the daily routines of the occupants. That was what REALLY scared my folks.

Trinityagain
07-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry as well. This happened to us a number of years ago. They broke into our garage and stole a large number of hubby's tool and stuff. Fortunately they did not find the spare house key that was hidden in there. The cops knew who did it and we had proof but it wasn't proof that could be used in court so they got away with it :(

Have you given thought to investing in a home security system? That is what we did, don't know if ADT exists in Canada, but that is the company we use here. I think it is about $200-$300 to have it installed depending on how many sensors and stuff, and then about $40 a month for the monitoring. It definitely provides great peace of mind...

As an aside, a few years after we had it installed a very strong windstorm hit our area and the back window in our dining room blew in...hubby got a call at work from ADT. They had already dispatched the police and the initial report had come in from the police that everything was fine. We got home about an hour later and the cops were still hanging around in the backyard. Fortunately none of the cats tried to investigate the suddenly open window!

Good luck and I hope they catch the bad guys quickly!