PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Kitten

kittykittyagogo
07-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Hello,

I've been browsing this website for a small time, enjoying reading the posts, but now I have a problem, so I've registered and am here to ask for help.

Recently, I heard a small kitten meowing outside of my house, in the back yard. I went outside and hunted it down, and it is a VERY young kitten, umbilical cord was still attached when I found her, so only a few days old. It appears she was abandoned, or perhaps the mother rejected her? I'm not positive, but I couldn't leave her outside to wait and see if the mother was perhaps relocating a litter. It took me about 45 minutes to find her underneath the shed, and as I live in Tennessee, it is sweltering hot at this time of year and very humid. I didn't think she would be able to last without dehydrating out there.

So, I brought her in and started feeding her diluted KMR to begin with, in very small amounts every hour to two hours, depending on when she stirred, and last night / this morning began feeding her almost 'full strength' KMR, which is to say, much less diluted.

However, I have noticed that her stomach seems very round. It is quite rotund, and very firm to the touch. It also seems that area is very dark and reddish, though I am not certain if it was that color to begin with, seeing as how this new problem is what brought my notice to her stomach.

I cannot afford to take her to the vet. I have multiple animals that I get by with taking to their yearly check ups and keeping them healthy through exercise and nutrition, and Care Credit has helped a lot, but seeing as how my calico had her tail maimed when she snuck out the last month, and had to have it amputated, that is maxed out for the moment, until I pay it off. And I have called multiple shelters, but they informed me they would euthanize her immediately, as it would be too much trouble to tend to such a small kitten with so many other animals to take care of.

But I don't think it's too much trouble, and I'd like to help her if I could. Does anyone have any advice on what this is, or how to ease it?

dehlers43
07-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Are you "helping" the kitten to pee and poop? Babies that young need to have their bottoms stimulated (usually the momcat does this by licking) in order for the baby to eliminate waste. If you haven't done so already, just gently wipe that area with a cotton ball or soft cloth. That should make the little one do its thing. If you haven't been doing this, start doing so right away. That could be the cause of the belly bulge.

Medusa
07-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Are you "helping" the kitten to pee and poop? Babies that young need to have their bottoms stimulated (usually the momcat does this by licking) in order for the baby to eliminate waste. If you haven't done so already, just gently wipe that area with a cotton ball or soft cloth. That should make the little one do its thing. If you haven't been doing this, start doing so right away. That could be the cause of the belly bulge.

Yes, that's what I was going to say, too. Also, even if you can't afford vet care for the kitten right now, call your vet and ask for advice as to how much KMR to feed it and how often. Your vet can also advise you as to anything else that you might not think of. Mine told me to put a clock underneath a blanket so that the kitten could hear the ticking, y'know, the kind that you must manually wind. It reminded it of its mother and helped it to thrive. Good luck w/this attempt at saving a life. You're doing great and bless you for not turning your back on the little orphan. Please keep us posted and maybe a pic or two? Prayers are going up right now that you'll be successful w/the wee one. :love:

kittykittyagogo
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I had been wiping her bottom with unscented, no additive baby wipes- what I had on hand. But when I tried a cloth instead, it seemed to help. She went to the bathroom quite a bit in one sitting!

I think perhaps the wipes just weren't... substantial enough, maybe? And didn't remind her of a tongue. I've started using very soft wash cloths on her and she seems to be doing well. She is much less agitated and sleeps more restfully. She still prefers my lap to her blanket lined box, though. :)

I don't want to disturb her, but maybe when she wakes up, I'll take some pictures of her to post.

However, while her belly isn't hard to the touch anymore, it is still quite round. Is this normal for a kitten?

Karen
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I had been wiping her bottom with unscented, no additive baby wipes- what I had on hand. But when I tried a cloth instead, it seemed to help. She went to the bathroom quite a bit in one sitting!

I think perhaps the wipes just weren't... substantial enough, maybe? And didn't remind her of a tongue. I've started using very soft wash cloths on her and she seems to be doing well. She is much less agitated and sleeps more restfully. She still prefers my lap to her blanket lined box, though. :)

I don't want to disturb her, but maybe when she wakes up, I'll take some pictures of her to post.

However, while her belly isn't hard to the touch anymore, it is still quite round. Is this normal for a kitten?

Do her stools look normal? She's such a small baby, I hope she's okay! I am sure she is much more comfortable now, in any case!

aTailOf2Kitties
07-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I always used a moist cotton ball for potty duty, especially for really really young ones. Worked pretty well for me. I always made them go after each feeding.

Round belly even before feeding?

kittykittyagogo
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not positive what newborn stools are supposed to look like. They are kind of a yellowy-brown. Very soft. I didn't think this seemed like it should be abnormal, because all she has for food is formula. I should have researched it, I imagine.

Round belly before feeding, yes. Although it's size is beginning to diminish since she's been using the restroom with the washing of her bottom after every meal.

kittykittyagogo
07-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Update:

She woke up, and her stomach is hard again. I tried to make her use the restroom by rubbing her bottom- no go. I fed her a little bit because she was crying for her bottle and sucking on my fingers, and then I tried rubbing her bottom again.

She still won't go to the bathroom.

She went to the bathroom last feeding, and she did pee when I rubbed her bottom this time around. Does she need to use the bathroom every time?

Also, pictures. Sorry they're blurry, I was trying to minimize her upset as much as possible. And I know the last one looks uncomfortable for her, but I held her like that only a few seconds. I was trying to get a picture of her belly.

And what am I doing wrong when I try to get her to use the restroom? I gently stroke her behind with a soft cloth, and sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.

kittykittyagogo
07-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Also, forgot to mention.

She's still crying. I'm not sure if she's hungry, or if I should even give her more food...

kittykittyagogo
07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Lol, sorry about all the minute to minute updates, but I thought this might be worth sharing:

I think she was crying because she was cold. I snuggled her up and she quit crying and squirming around. Still no bowel movements and hard tummy though.

Karen
07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Make sure you are stroking in the direction you want things to move! It does take kittens' systems some time to learn all this on their own.

Don't you feel like a new mommy, posting every little detail? ;) That's okay - that is what we are here for. Poor little thing, she's soooo tiny! That you saved her life is a certainty.

freckledimple
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
We're "helping" our Pretty Mama with her litter, and they are just shy of 2 weeks. There are 4 of them, Pretty Mama has had some health issues, and we have been doing some feeding, cleaning and pooping. Here are a few things we've found that have worked for us:

Test the formula temp before feeding and make sure the formula is a little warmer than your skin. I like to use my wrist to check.

Remember to burp the baby after feeding; just like a human baby.

We have had good results with moist cotton balls for stimulating the baby to potty; don't be afraid to put a little pressure behind it, just not too much.

We also like to wipe the face and eyes with moist and dry cotton balls after feeding.

When you can't hold the baby, but her in a box with a heating pad(set on low) under half of it; if baby gets too hot it can move away.

Here are a couple of links to articles that we have found very helpful:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-kitten/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-cats-their-mental-and-social-needs/page1.aspx

Good luck and God bless:love:

kittykittyagogo
07-05-2009, 01:10 AM
We're "helping" our Pretty Mama with her litter, and they are just shy of 2 weeks. There are 4 of them, Pretty Mama has had some health issues, and we have been doing some feeding, cleaning and pooping. Here are a few things we've found that have worked for us:

Test the formula temp before feeding and make sure the formula is a little warmer than your skin. I like to use my wrist to check.

Remember to burp the baby after feeding; just like a human baby.

We have had good results with moist cotton balls for stimulating the baby to potty; don't be afraid to put a little pressure behind it, just not too much.

We also like to wipe the face and eyes with moist and dry cotton balls after feeding.

When you can't hold the baby, but her in a box with a heating pad(set on low) under half of it; if baby gets too hot it can move away.

Here are a couple of links to articles that we have found very helpful:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-kitten/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-cats-their-mental-and-social-needs/page1.aspx

Good luck and God bless:love:

Thank you for the advice!
:love:

Also, I love your signature. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs, all of them taken from homes that didn't want them anymore, or strays that we picked up. I just can't turn away an animal in need. People think I'm crazy, but I think turning away from an animal that will die without help, is just like turning away from a human baby that will die without help!

Thank you all so much for your help. Baby kitty- named Miracle- is still seeming constipated, but I'm still trying with her. I just keep getting the sensation I'm doing something wrong when I rub her bottom and she still doesn't potty...

Reachoutrescue
07-05-2009, 02:35 AM
I really hope this kitten thrives for you. You are doing a very good job with her. You really should try the moist cotton ball, and it should be warm, not hot, not cold, just warm. Good luck and please keep us posted.

kittykittyagogo
07-05-2009, 03:31 AM
WE HAVE POO POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm just so happy and relieved about it. It was so much coming from such a little kitten, but all of y'all's help and advice really came through in the end!

She seems relieved, too! She went potty, drank a little watered down KMR (hadn't been giving her the straight stuff since she became constipated) and fell asleep on her blankie!

aTailOf2Kitties
07-05-2009, 04:47 AM
if you're worried about constipation you can always give the little one an enema with a small syringe. 1/2 to 1 cc of warm water is usually enough to get things moving.

kittykittyagogo
07-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Going to bed shortly, and so did kitty, with a nicely deflated stomach. She seems to be feeling much better now, though I think she still needs some more time to properly potty.

But here are pictures of contently sleeping little Miracle.

freckledimple
07-05-2009, 08:28 AM
WE HAVE POO POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm just so happy and relieved about it. It was so much coming from such a little kitten, but all of y'all's help and advice really came through in the end!

She seems relieved, too! She went potty, drank a little watered down KMR (hadn't been giving her the straight stuff since she became constipated) and fell asleep on her blankie!

:DDon't worry about posting about baby poo. We were excited when ours poo poo'd for the first time, too;)

See:) (our poo post)
Pretty Mama has started eating little bits on her own, and the blockage is getting better. The babies are continuing to eat well, too. We even had our first poops last nightmm I had forgotten how sticky and stinky that stuff is Will post new pics later.

Taz_Zoee
07-05-2009, 02:26 PM
It's hard to see in the pictures, but I think this little baby looks like my Paizly (who I affectionately call Poo :p).

I am so glad you have saved her and are helping her thrive. :D

GILL
07-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I love her coloring.
When we got LUCKY he was 1 day old, we did have some help (LB our CH kitty). I set up a very large carrior with a heating pad on low at one end under 2 towels. He just turned 1 at the end of April.
1. LUCKY at 4 weeks
2. LUCKY at 5 months
3. LUCKY and LB
4. Lucky at 8 months
He is my boy, and since LB's passing has become more so. He and his patner Mits (7 year old) make sure that I go to bed on time and that I am safe in the bathroom, I get a full escorurt to and from the bathroom and up to bed.
Thank you for taking in and caring for this little, I hope that she gives you as much pleasure as LUCKY has given me.

kittykittyagogo
07-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Guys, we have a very serious problem.

Miracle has taken to using the restroom without problems, but today when I came home from work, my mom- who had been taking care of her while I was gone- said that she went potty like normal, took to her bottle fine to begin with, but through out the day became lethargic and cried often.

I'm not sure what's wrong with her!

She is very lethargic and does not readily respond to stimulus. She seems to have a slight wheeze or something when she breathes, and cries very weakly. She will not drink from her bottle anymore.

I don't know what to do...

kittykittyagogo
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I think the kitten has aspiration pneumonia.

The first day I got her, she was so hungry that I fed her immediately without looking up the proper way to do so, and I think she may have gotten milk into her lungs that has caused the pneumonia. The symptoms seem on par with what I have seen described.

I am not sure if there's much I can do, but my heart is bleeding right now. Please send up your prayers for this little kitten.

aTailOf2Kitties
07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
can you take her to the vet? I have had a few bottle babies over the years and a couple of them ended up with gurgly breathing, cleared up quickly on antibiotics.

moosmom
07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Everytime you feed her, you need to help her pee and poo till she gets older and can use the litterbox. The best litter to use is anything BUT scoopable because cats are very clean. When they do groom themselves they can swallow the litter which will cause a blockage and major problems. I recommend either Feline Pine or Yesterday's News. The best way to help her pee and poo is to take a cotton ball and gently stimulate her "down there" until she pees. She may poo as well. The more she eats, the more she'll start pooping.

Thank you for taking this precious baby in.

kittykittyagogo
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for your prayers and your support.

At 12:52 today, Miracle the kitten was euthanized with as much love and tears being showered upon her as possible. The vet said that she most likely had a neurological defect, and I could tell towards the end she was having seizures every few minutes, and I could not let her suffer any longer.

Despite being kept in a warm blanket, up against my body with a hot water bottle, her temperature had plummeted to where the vet's thermometer could not even register it, beneath 91 degrees.

I wish I could have done more for her, but I gave her as much love in her very short life as I possibly could.

Karen
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Awww, at least her time on this earth was filled with love and attention. Bless you for caring. Rest in peace, little one!

Pinot's Mom
07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Godspeed to the Bridge, little Miracle. :(
Try as she did, your human couldn't fix what was broken when she found you, but you did have love before you left on your journey.
Sleep softly, play well. :love:

Cinder & Smoke
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
At 12:52 today, Miracle the Kitten was euthanized with as much love and tears
being showered upon her as possible.

I wish I could have done more for her,
but I gave her as much love in her very short life as I possibly could.

The Gift of Love ... a great way to start her trip to The Rainbow Bridge.

Safe Trip, Little One ~ We're ALL going to miss you.

:(
:(

Catty1
07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
{{{hugs}}} It is said often, but it IS true - thanks to you, she knew love and comfort all her short life. :love:

Ya done good. :love::love:

Bounce and play happy and free at the Bridge, wee Miracle.

freckledimple
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
You have our sympathy and prayers:love: We recently lost our little Job at a little over a week old. Now, he and Miracle can play at the Bridge together:)

Medusa
07-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Miracle's time was short but he had a lot of people pulling for him. Love such as this is precious and so was Miracle. RIP, little one.

dehlers43
07-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Godspeed little Miracle....thank you for blessing our lives even if it was just for a short time.....

krazyaboutkatz
07-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( RIP sweet Miracle.:(