PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France- '09

RICHARD
07-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Is anyone going to watch?

MY favorite parts of the whole race are the mountain stages and the fans that run besides the riders on those stages.

Two years ago I went blind after seeing a few men in thongs running the course...But, I still watch!

Good luck to all!:D

blue
07-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Is this gonna be an 8th win for Lance?

I watch Greg LeMond win, win, win, and win.

My first cats were named after Tour Le France teams.

RICHARD
07-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Was Lemond that long ago?:eek:

I don't think LA will win again, but that is the fun in watching!:D

RICHARD
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Great finish to today's stage.

I think that Armstrong has a good chance to win it all...:D

This dude is a monster and shouldn't be tested for steroids, I'd be looking for bionic parts, especially the 'bits':eek::rolleyes:;)

RICHARD
07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
La makes it to SECOND PLACE after today's stage.

Here's the deal.

Forget all the other sports stories you have seen so far.

Should LA get to first place, That will be huge.

If he wins a stage, That will be awesome.

If he wins the whole thing?

Make up your own words to describe it.

Yeah, someone swan in circles and won some medals over two weeks. He's the world's greatest athlete?:rolleyes:

Ride a bike for three weeks, log 2,000 plus miles, every year for seven straight years and win the contest every time? Retire for four years, then come back and after a few days work your way into second place?

Wow.

Grace
07-07-2009, 07:49 PM
La makes it to SECOND PLACE after today's stage.

Here's the deal.

Forget all the other sports stories you have seen so far.

Should LA get to first place, That will be huge.

If he wins a stage, That will be awesome.

If he wins the whole thing?

Make up your own words to describe it.

Yeah, someone swan in circles and won some medals over two weeks. He's the world's greatest athlete?:rolleyes:

Ride a bike for three weeks, log 2,000 plus miles, every year for seven straight years and win the contest every time? Retire for four years, then come back and after a few days work your way into second place?

Wow.

Don't forget to add fathering another child to that list!

I hadn't realized it's been 4 years since he last raced. Ride a bike for 3 weeks - heck I can't ride for for 3 minutes. My knees are too old for that.

This is about my speed -
http://www.tricyclekids.com/assets/product_images/alternate/300/101850000000000.jpg

RICHARD
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
This is about my speed -
http://www.tricyclekids.com/assets/product_images/alternate/300/101850000000000.jpg

Please wear a helmet, if you do get the urge?

Please?:D

Grace
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Please wear a helmet, if you do get the urge?

Please?:D

Okay - if you insist :love:

Richard, did you wear a helmet when you were a kid? We didn't. I don't think anyone even thought about it back then. This was back before seat belts and car seats for kids.

I don't remember hearing about many people suffering head injuries without the helmets. So are bike riders more reckless today?

RICHARD
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Okay - if you insist :love:

Richard, did you wear a helmet when you were a kid? We didn't. I don't think anyone even thought about it back then. This was back before seat belts and car seats for kids.

I don't remember hearing about many people suffering head injuries without the helmets. So are bike riders more reckless today?

Kid?
Nope, but when I got older, Yes.

Before, bikes were a little more sedate?

Now you have kids that think nothing of doing tricks. A wheelie was a trick when I was a kid.

Now, they do flips off the curb!

kokopup
07-07-2009, 11:05 PM
quote by grace

The answer is a big yes. I was pretty reckless as a kid but the things that kids do on bikes today is very dangerous. I road Mountain Bikes on off road trails and if it were not for helmets I would probably be dead today. My helmet has saved me more than once on bad crashes.

Lance will probably win again if he can stay out of trouble and not have any accidents. Lance is without doubt the best athlete so far in the 21st Century. If Michael Phelps won a gold medal every day for 3 weeks It would still pale to the athletic ability of Lance.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I watch it every day, France is a neigbour of Belgium;
Several Belgian bikers attend, and one of them I know in person: Greg Van Avermaet. He is the future son-in-law of my friend who lives in same street as me:). It's his first Tour though... . He is in the team of Silence-Lotto

RICHARD
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I watch it every day, France is a neigbour of Belgium;
Several Belgian bikers attend, and one of them I know in person: Greg Van Avermaet. He is the future son-in-law of my friend who lives in same street as me:). It's his first Tour though... . He is in the team of Silence-Lotto

Thanks,
I will be looking for him!

Another good race today.:D

Grace
07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
For some reason, I feel this story (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/sports/09ultra.html) fits in this topic. Lance bikes; she runs, and runs, and runs again. They both have been through life-altering medical events.

RICHARD
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
For some reason, I feel this story (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/sports/09ultra.html) fits in this topic. Lance bikes; she runs, and runs, and runs again. They both have been through life-altering medical events.

In-freaking-credible. This gal has guts.:eek:

-------------------

In the Tour, I have always loved the paint/chalk messages people paint on the roads along the course..

Check this out!

http://kdka.com/local/Chalkbot.Lance.Armstrong.2.1076262.html

RICHARD
07-12-2009, 12:52 PM
WOW, great finish to today's stage.

I think that unconciously I am waking up EARLY to watch.

When I get big I am going to one of those races!

kokopup
07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
quote by Richard.

Richard the US has 3 premier UCI events every year. 'Tour of Missouri', 'Tour of Georgia' and right in your back yard 'Tour of California'. Lance was even at the ToC this year. He has made the Tour of Georgia almost every year. When you get "big" you might try one of these before heading to France. :D

RICHARD
07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
quote by Richard.

Richard the US has 3 premier UCI events every year. 'Tour of Missouri', 'Tour of Georgia' and right in your back yard 'Tour of California'. Lance was even at the ToC this year. He has made the Tour of Georgia almost every year. When you get "big" you might try one of these before heading to France. :D

Yes!

We have a bunch of smaller races here in the valley, and a Velodrome. I like track racing the best.

I am practicing!:D

RICHARD
07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
One day...I'm going to France!

Did anyone see the fields of sunflowers on the route? WOW!

M&I,
I saw your guy on TV! cool!

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I love the downhill riding after the climbs!:eek:

I find myself holding my breath on the way down!

Grace
07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Richard, do you happen too know why there are no women in this race. Women do ride bikes.

Perhaps they have a big race of their own that we never hear about?

http://images.inmagine.com/img/imagezoo/iz117/iz117008.jpg

blue
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM

You might be interested in the Grande Boucle Feminine.

Grace
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
You might be interested in the Grande Boucle Feminine.

Thanks, blue. I had never heard of that race.

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
The was a tandem tour, for men and women but it was discontinued.

Some of the reasons?

Back seat driving, constant fighting, "STOP! A shoe store!", "Stop! I have to pee!", "Stop! I am hungry!", "STOP! Ask for directions!", "YOU ARE GOING too fast!":D

-----------------------------

And if you really want to know?

From Cyclingnews.com

Jeannie Longo turns 50
Jeannie Longo is celebrating her 50th anniversary today, October 31. The most successful female cyclist ever still races on a competitive level. The French cyclist achieved her first victories in the late 70s, notably taking the first of her 55 French Championship titles in 1979. More than 1,000 victories followed, including 38 world records and a total of 106 medals at the Olympic Games, the Worlds and the French Championships.

Longo finished an impressive fourth in the Olympic time trial in Beijing this August. Happy birthday, Jeannie Longo!

Would it be fair to have this gal show up at a race?

Grace
07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
From Cyclingnews.com

Jeannie Longo turns 50
Jeannie Longo is celebrating her 50th anniversary today, October 31. The most successful female cyclist ever still races on a competitive level. The French cyclist achieved her first victories in the late 70s, notably taking the first of her 55 French Championship titles in 1979. More than 1,000 victories followed, including 38 world records and a total of 106 medals at the Olympic Games, the Worlds and the French Championships.

Longo finished an impressive fourth in the Olympic time trial in Beijing this August. Happy birthday, Jeannie Longo!

Would it be fair to have this gal show up at a race?

ABSOLUTELY!! Jeannie rocks !!

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
ABSOLUTELY!! Jeannie rocks !!

There have been many women cyclists that have not been given their fair share, Connie Carpenter, C Paraskevin and a few gals who did double duty with cycling and speed skating in the Olympics.

When the Games start in Feb. you'll see quite a few women who still cross train.

Grace
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
There have been many women cyclists that have not been given their fair share, Connie Carpenter, C Paraskevin and a few gals who did double duty with cycling and speed skating in the Olympics.

When the Games start in Feb. you'll see quite a few women who still cross train.

Add Sheila Young-Ochowicz to that list. Of course, she was from 30+ years ago. She won Gold, Silver and Bronze at the '76 Innsbruck Olympics.

RICHARD
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Add Sheila Young-Ochowicz to that list. Of course, she was from 30+ years ago. She won Gold, Silver and Bronze at the '76 Innsbruck Olympics.

Very good!

The late 70's early 80's was great times for cycling. :D

----------

I was listening to the cable music channels and Bicycle Race by Queen comes on.....

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my
Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties oh yeah!
Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go

Sexist, but a great song?;)

Sonia59
07-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Richard, do you happen too know why there are no women in this race. Women do ride bikes.

There is a separate race for women. Unfortunately, it's less famous than the male one, and you can hardly see it on TV programs.
And Jeannie Longo is still participating, of course :)

Grace
07-18-2009, 09:36 AM
While watching some of the race yesterday, I couldn't get over how close the spectators get to the cyclists. So today, a spectator was killed -

A spectator has been killed and two others injured on the Tour de France Saturday after being hit by a police motorbike on the 14th stage, French radio reported.

The accident happened in the village of Wittelsheim, about 40km from the start of Saturday's stage in Colmar.

Organisers confirmed earlier that three spectators were being treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to hopsital in Mulhouse.

It later emerged that a woman in her 60s died at the scene.

According to France Info radio the woman was crossing the road after a breakaway group of riders had passed when she was hit by one of the several police motorbikes which accompany the race.

After the collision the motorbike landed on its side, hitting two roadside spectators, a 37-year-old woman and a man in his 60s.

Both victims were transported by helicopter to nearby Mulhouse.

And then there was this -

Police hunt teenagers after two riders are shot

Reuters
Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:20 AM

COLMAR, France (Reuters) - Police are hunting two teenagers after Tour de France riders Oscar Freire of Spain and New Zealand's Julian Dean were shot and slightly injured during Friday's stage, officials said on Saturday.

"This is the work of a pistol or an air gun," Colmar prosecutor Pascal Schulz told a news conference.

"According to one of the riders, (the shots) would have been the work of two youths aged between 16 and 17 who were hiding behind a tree."

Freire, from the Rabobank team, was hit in the right thigh by a small shot during the 13th stage from Vittel to Colmar but the injury did not hamper him.

Dean, part of the Garmin team, was hit on the index finger.

Both riders started Saturday's 199-km stage to Besancon.

An investigation had been opened into a possible crime of voluntary violence with a firearm -- an offence that carries a three-year prison sentence and a fine of 45,000 euros, officials said.

Anyone remember the nutjob who came after one of the Marathon runners during the Athens Olympics? The runner, from Brazil, might possibly have won the race; he ended up with the Bronze.

Weird people out there :eek:

RICHARD
07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
While watching some of the race yesterday, I couldn't get over how close the spectators get to the cyclists. So today, a spectator was killed -

Anyone remember the nutjob who came after one of the Marathon runners during the Athens Olympics? The runner, from Brazil, might possibly have won the race; he ended up with the Bronze.

Weird people out there :eek:

That sucks. The TDF is one of the last major sports events where anyone can get that close to the participants. IT is truly amazing that that more things have not happened, knock on wood.

They caught the kids who did the shooting. Little bees turds!

----------------

Poor George Hincapie. All that work for nothing!:eek::(

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-19-2009, 09:53 AM

The Tour De France also drives through some neighbouring countries; A few years ago, it passed through MY town, and I was standing there watching when they passed!!! Wow, very impressing; but it is over before you can blink an eye...:(:D; those guys were in such a hurry !!!!!! LOL

RICHARD
07-19-2009, 11:37 AM
The Tour De France also drives through some neighbouring countries; A few years ago, it passed through MY town, and I was standing there watching when they passed!!! Wow, very impressing; but it is over before you can blink an eye...:(:D; those guys were in such a hurry !!!!!! LOL

It's like a parade for people with a short attention span?;)

When the Olympic torch came thru it was like that, hours of waiting and it's over in a flash!:(

Poor Tom Boonen. he wasn't having a good Tour.

Did anyone notice that Armstrong looked really beat up after today's stage?

So far this has been a good race!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Did anyone notice that Armstrong looked really beat up after today's stage?

So far this has been a good race!

Yes, that was our impression too! I think he is doing much more than he can, he doesn't want to give up!! What a racing driver!!
In my opinion Contador will win in Paris!

RICHARD
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes, that was our impression too! I think he is doing much more than he can, he doesn't want to give up!! What a racing driver!!
In my opinion Contador will win in Paris!

I didn't like the circles under his eyes. The were very obvious and looked nasty.:eek:

RICHARD
07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I guess Armstrong wasn't that tired today?

He looked better and his attack towards the end of the race had me yelling and cheering him on! It was rather early in the morning for me to do that, But that was a fantastic last charge up the mountain.:eek::D

Poor Jens Voigt.

He was said to be doing well but his crash was really terrible to watch. I am glad the motorcycle rider behind him was able to keep from running him over!:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6ljmQfvjI&feature=player_embedded

RICHARD
07-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Next year!

What a great three weeks.

LA didn't get a stage win or the tellow jersey, but I would love to see any pro athlete leave his 'job', then come back to place third?

:D

Sonia59
07-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Exactly, for me he did very well even if he didn't win. Third place, it's much better than many others did :D And next year, with a better team, who knows what he can do?