PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid my girls cannot sleep in my bedroom tonight :(

Kirsten
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
After we had a rather cold and rainy summer so far, the heat is now here - along with humidity. Temperatures are constantly rising here in my apartment, and now they are up to 75°F. Last night, it's been 72°, but I tried to cope with that without opening the windows. That would be too dangerous for the girls (I only left the windows tilted) but I think now the temperatures have crossed the line where I cannot stand it anymore, at least not during the night. Woke up with a bad headache this morning and meanwhile, the air in here is even worse.

So it looks like the bedroom door will be closed tonight for my girls - for their own safety. But they won't like it, and neither do I. They use to sleep in my bed and I will miss them terribly.

Now I'm hoping for a thunderstorm to come up and cool the air down, that way I might be able to get enough fresh air in here before I go to sleep. Oh, and btw, just in case you wonder, we don't have a/c here.

Kirsten

Randi
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Kirsten, it's the same here, and just as I was wishing for a thunderstorm.... it's here!! :D Hope it will travel south to clear the air for you afterwards. :)

Kirsten
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Lucky you!!

A couple of minutes ago, it also looked like a storm was coming up. Locked the girls in their room (Luna is scratching the door already and wants to get out) and opened all the windows, but the storm is already slowing down...

Kirsten

Karen
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Are your windows ones that you could open from the top, instead of the bottom, so you and the girls could be safe and cool?

Kirsten
06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Karen, I have these bottom-hung windows (very typical for Germany), they look like this:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/window.jpg

This is how I usually have them during the night, and even that is dangerous for kitties because they can get stuck.

You can also open these windows completely, which I have to do at nights during heatwaves, because when they are just tilted like in the picture, there's barely fresh air getting inside.

Kirsten

lvpets2002
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
:eek: WoW how I would take your temps in a minute.. You should be in Texas.. The A/C has run non-stop at the house for me & the babies.. Now You all do not have A/C right??

Medusa
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
There's no way to put screens in the windows so that you get the fresh air flow and your girls could still sleep w/you? :)

Kirsten
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Now You all do not have A/C right??

Some public buildings have a/c, but most of our houses don't.

There's no way to put screens in the windows so that you get the fresh air flow and your girls could still sleep w/you?

Last year, I was about to build a netting that was safe for my girls, but then I remembered how Lily is always walking on the top of open doors. She would do that with an open window as well, and that could cause severe damage.

Kirsten

Barbara
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
There are things which you can mount close to the windows so that they are secure when they are open on top (Katzenschutz für Kippfenster). I have them here.
http://www.zooplus.de/shop/katzen/balkon_garten/kippfensterschutz/7381
But if it's really hot (and I am sleeping under the roof as well)- the last thing you need is a furrpurrson sleeping close to you ;)

catmandu
06-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I put up a fan to blow on me while I am sleeping and I find that that lets me sleep no matter how muggy it is, as the air keeps me cool, and if its bad I set up a small fan for the Found Cats on thier Astrid and Sophie Beds!!!
:love::love::love:

momcat
06-30-2009, 06:59 PM
We've had virtually non stop rain for several weeks now. Around my office we're saying, "When the animals start going down Quakerbridge Road two by two, I'm out of here!"

I'm sure Lily and Luna will miss curling up with you for the night. I can't fall asleep until Groucho comes up and settles in on my knees.

Karen
06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures of your windows, I can see how a kitty could get in real trouble with those! Good luck getting the "girls" to accept different sleeping arrangements!

Catty1
06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
There are non-AC types of coolers called Swamp Coolers in North America. I would think there is something similar available in Mannheim. Here is some stuff from Wikipedia in case you want to check it out locally:

Evaporative cooling

Evaporative cooling is a physical phenomenon in which evaporation of a liquid, typically into surrounding air, cools an object or a liquid in contact with it. Latent heat describes the amount of heat that is needed to evaporate the liquid; this heat comes from the liquid itself and the surrounding gas and surfaces. When considering water evaporating into air, the wet-bulb temperature, as compared to the air's dry-bulb temperature, is a measure of the potential for evaporative cooling. The greater the difference between the two temperatures, the greater the evaporative cooling effect. When the temperatures are the same, no net evaporation of water in air occurs, thus there is no cooling effect.

A simple example of natural evaporative cooling is perspiration, or sweat, which the body secretes in order to cool itself. The amount of heat transfer depends on the evaporation rate, which in turn depends on the humidity of the air and its temperature, which is why one's sweat accumulates more on hot, humid days; the perspiration cannot evaporate.

A recent application of evaporative cooling is the "self-refrigerating" beverage can. A separate compartment inside the can contains a desiccant and cooling liquid. Just before consumption, the desiccant comes into contact with the cooling liquid, inducing evaporation.

Evaporative cooling is a very common form of cooling buildings for thermal comfort since it is relatively cheap and requires less energy than many other forms of cooling. However evaporative cooling requires an abundant water source as an evaporate, and is only efficient when the relative humidity is low, restricting its effective use to dry climates. Evaporative coolers are colloquially referred to as swamp coolers in the U.S. In other places they are known as desert coolers.

Evaporative cooling is commonly used in cryogenic applications. The vapor above a reservoir of cryogenic liquid is pumped away, and the liquid continuously evaporates as long as the liquid's vapor pressure is significant. Evaporative cooling of ordinary helium forms a 1-K pot, which can cool to at least 1.2 K. Evaporative cooling of helium-3 can provide temperatures below 300 mK. Each of these techniques can be used to make cryocoolers, or as components of lower-temperature cryostats such as dilution refrigerators. As the temperature decreases, the vapor pressure of the liquid also falls, and cooling becomes less effective. This sets a lower limit to the temperature attainable with a given liquid.

This process has recently been observed to operate on a planetary scale on Pluto and acts as an Anti-Greenhouse Effect. Here on planet Earth, trees transpire large amounts of water through pores in their leaves called stomata, and through this process of evaporative cooling, forests contribute to climatic cooling at the local and global scales.

"The future of tropical forests is at risk in a warmer, more populous 21st-century world. Tropical forests are vulnerable to a warmer, drier climate, which may exacerbate global warming through a positive feedback that decreases evaporative cooling, releases CO2, and initiates forest dieback ..." [5]

Evaporative cooling is also the last cooling step in order to reach the ultra-low temperatures required for Bose-Einstein Condensation (BEC). Here, so-called forced evaporative cooling is used to selectively remove high-energetic ("hot") atoms from an atom cloud until the remaining cloud is cooled below the BEC transition temperature. For a cloud of 1 million alkali atoms, this temperature is about 1μK.

[edit] Evaporative cooler designs

Direct Evaporative Cooling (open circuit) is used to lower the temperature of air by using latent heat of evaporation, changing water to vapor. In this process, the energy in the air does not change. Warm dry air is changed to cool moist air. Heat in the air is used to evaporate water.

Indirect Evaporative Cooling (closed circuit) is similar to direct evaporative cooling, but uses some type of heat exchanger. The cooled moist air never comes in direct contact with the conditioned environment.

Two-stage Evaporative Cooling, or Indirect-Direct. Traditional evaporative coolers use only a fraction of the energy of vapor-compression or absorption air conditioning systems. Unfortunately, except for in very dry climates, they may increase humidity to a level that makes occupants uncomfortable. Two-stage evaporative coolers do not produce humidity levels as high as that produced by traditional single-stage evaporative coolers.

In the first stage of a two-stage cooler, warm air is pre-cooled indirectly without adding humidity (by passing inside a heat exchanger that is cooled by evaporation on the outside). In the direct stage, the pre-cooled air passes through a water-soaked pad and picks up humidity as it cools. Since the air supply is pre-cooled in the first stage , less humidity is needed in the direct stage to reach the desired cooling temperatures . The result, according to manufacturers, is cooler air with a relative humidity between 50 and 70 percent, depending on the climate, compared to a traditional system that produces about 70-80 percent relative humidity air.

[edit] Typical
Evaporative cooler illustration

Typically, residential and industrial evaporative coolers use direct evaporation and can be described as an enclosed metal or plastic box with vented sides containing a centrifugal fan or 'blower', electric motor with pulleys (known as 'sheaves' in HVAC), and a water pump to wet the evaporative cooling pads. The units can be mounted on the roof (down draft, or downflow), or exterior walls or windows (side draft, or horizontal flow) of buildings. To cool, the fan draws ambient air through vents on the unit's sides and through the damp pads. Heat in the air evaporates water from the pads which are constantly re-dampened to continue the cooling process. Thus cooled, moist air is then delivered to the building via a vent in the roof or wall.

Because the cooling air originates outside the building, one or more large vents must exist to allow air to move from inside to outside. Air should only be allowed to pass once through the system, or the cooling effect will decrease. This is due to the air reaching the saturation point. Often 15 or so air changes per hour (ACHs) occur in spaces served by evaporative coolers.

[edit] Cooler pads

Traditionally, evaporative cooler pads consist of excelsior (wood wool) (aspen wood fiber) inside a containment net, but more modern materials, such as some plastics and melamine paper, are entering use as cooler-pad media. Wood absorbs some of the water, which allows the wood fibers to cool passing air to a lower temperature than some synthetic materials. The thickness of the padding media plays a large part in cooling efficiency, allowing longer air contact. For example, an eight-inch-thick pad with its increased surface area will be more efficient than a one-inch pad.

[edit] Evaporative (wet) cooling towers
Didcot Power Station Cooling towers
Main article: Cooling tower

Cooling towers are structures for cooling water or other working media to near-ambient wet bulb temperature. Wet cooling towers operate on the evaporative cooling principle, but are optimized to cool the water rather than the air. Cooling towers can often be found on large buildings or on industrial sites. They transfer heat to the environment from chillers, industrial processes, or the Rankine power cycle, for example.

[edit] Misting systems
Photo of Misting fan.
Simple mist spraying system with tap water pump in underneath box.

Misting systems or mist spraying work by forcing water via a high pressure pump and tubing through a brass and stainless steel mist nozzle that has an orifice of about 5 micrometres, thereby producing a micro-fine mist. The water droplets that create the mist are so small that they instantly flash evaporate. Flash evaporation can reduce the surrounding air temperature by as much as 35°F (20°C) in just seconds [2]. For patio systems, it is ideal to mount the mist line approximately 8 to 10 feet above the ground for optimum cooling. Misting is used for many different applications including orchids, pets, livestock, kennels, insect control, odor control, zoos, veterinary clinics, produce cooling, greenhouses, etc.

[edit] Misting fans

A misting fan is similar to a humidifier. A fan blows a fine mist of water into the air. If the air is not too humid, the water evaporates, absorbing heat from the air, allowing the misting fan to work as an air conditioner. A misting fan may be used outdoors, especially in a dry climate.

GILL
07-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Momcat right New Jersey is about to float. Everything is wet and muggy. Even Mits won't stay with me for long. Last night I had Bart and Penny between my wife and I Mits under my arm pit and Lucky long my back (I have to lay on my Left side, Mits order) with in 5 minutes Mits left, Bart move to the center, away from both wife and I, Penny did the same and Lucky moved to the floor.