PDA

View Full Version : Small World

pomtzu
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
In the relatively short time (compared to the real oldie members) that I have been a member of the PT Community, I have met two other members from my old stomping grounds where I grew up, tho I did not know them at the time.

I was born and raised in Warwick, RI - and have since met Gretchen (Grace), who also grew up there - just a couple of miles from where I lived. She was a few years ahead of me in school, but we went to the same schools and had at least one of the same teachers that I know of, and went swimming in the summer at the same "swimming hole".

Kokopup lived only a few miles from me for a period of time also, when he was in the military and stationed at Quonset and lived off base. We remember the blizzard that shut the state down in 1961 or 62, as well as some other things of interest.

You meet the darnedest people in the darnedest places! ;)

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Cincy'sMom
06-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Staci (Shais_mom) and I went to rival high schools and worked at the same Sear's store at the same time. We never really met until PT, but knew a lot of the same people.

Taz_Zoee
06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
This is difficult to explain. I have a friend that now works with me. Her mom worked with Claudia (kitten645). Did that make sense? I guess the reason I felt it was difficult is because my friends mom is also my friend. That's where I got confuzzled. ;) :p

Pinot's Mom
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm glad you told me where Gretchen is from! I asked on a couple of threads and didn't get a response; some of her references were AWFULLY familiar to me! I grew up in NEWPORT & PORTSMOUTH!! :)

Medusa
06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
No, I haven't had that experience but I have had the delightful experience of meeting a "sister". You, Ellie. LOL

pomtzu
06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm glad you told me where Gretchen is from! I asked on a couple of threads and didn't get a response; some of her references were AWFULLY familiar to me! I grew up in NEWPORT & PORTSMOUTH!! :)

Well I'll be darned. In later years, after I was grown and gone from home, my parents built a house on Jamestown. I always loved Newport too!

pomtzu
06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
No, I haven't had that experience but I have had the delightful experience of meeting a "sister". You, Ellie. LOL

It's amazing that we're so much alike. Pretty scary!!! :p If we lived closer, I'm afraid we could be a dangerous duo!!! :eek::D

Daisy and Delilah
06-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I live pretty close to another member, KBlaix, but we've never met.

I always dream of the day that I will find somebody on this board that I have a connection to. That's so cool, Ellie!!:)

Freedom
06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Now you are in for it, you forget ME???!!! I am in East Providence! OK, so it is across the river and over the BRIDGE and maybe you need a passport to cross, lol. And yes, I am here NOW, not when you were here. But jeepers, Iz in RI and it's a small state! Should count for honorable mention AT LEAST! :D

Pinot's Mom
06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
East PROVIDENCE! That's a world away from Aquidneck Island (Newport, Portsmouth, Middletown, and I believe Little Compton)! Just kidding, though it seemed on the other side of the world growing up. Yes, you do need a passport to cross the big bridge! :)

Grace
06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I remember going to East Providence for football games way back when. It was so cool, 'cause they were on Friday nights, and Warwick always played home games on Saturday afternoons.

pomtzu
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
:o:o Oops - I'm sorry Sandie! But East Providence seemed a world away when I was growing up. Anything further away than a trip to the big city of Providence, was quite a trip.

And traveling for away football games was a big deal. My favorite was Warwick/Cranston on Thanksgiving morning. It always started the day out with some real excitement, and then home or to a relative's house for all that good eating.

Is anyone familiar with Archie's Pizza in Pawtucket? The original little shop was founded by my Uncle Archie back in the 50's, but he sold it due to health reasons in the 70's, along with his secret recipe. It was so secret that even his wife didn't know it. I would challenge anyone to find a better pizza. The place is still in operation under the original name and with a much expanded menu, and another shop has been opened from what I can see when I Googled it. I wonder if they use the old dough recipe where everything was made fresh daily in those huge mixers, or if they just buy what all the chain shops use?

Pinot's Mom
07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Not familiar with Archie's, sorry. I don't know why I remember this, but our pizza always came from a place at the top of the street called A1 Pizza (imaginative, huh?). We didn't get off island much in summer - too much traffic! We generally lived on boats. :)

phesina
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I lived in Providence for more than four years (1998-2002). I loved it and loved Rhode Island!

Small world indeed. And speaking of which, Gretchen (Grace) is now about ten miles away from me in Dexter, MI.

pomtzu
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I lived in Providence for more than four years (1998-2002). I loved it and loved Rhode Island!

Small world indeed. And speaking of which, Gretchen (Grace) is now about ten miles away from me in Dexter, MI.

Wow - you two are practically neighbors. :)

The closest I am to anyone is Pam, who is about and hour and a half drive, and Maggie (Pinot's Mom) who is about the same distance, only in the opposite direction. I haven't met either - yet! ;) As Gary would say - "one fine day".

Grace
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Maggie is just a wee bit away from Annapolis - my favorite place in all of Maryland. We spent many a wonderful weekend there while Michael was at USNA.

Karen
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
If you are in Delaware, you are likely pretty close to lbaker, but she lost her job and Internet access, so hasn't posted in a while. She's in Maryland.

Freedom
07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
East PROVIDENCE! That's a world away from Aquidneck Island (Newport, Portsmouth, Middletown, and I believe Little Compton)! Just kidding, though it seemed on the other side of the world growing up. Yes, you do need a passport to cross the big bridge! :)

90% of the state is "across the Bridge." I seldom go there; maybe 8 or 10 times per year. SERIOUSLY!

I am right on the Mass. line, and as their sales tax is quite a bit less, plenty of shops have popped up there and everyone crosses for their items, big ticket or not. As I am originally FROM Mass., I have more friend "across the line" than I do here in RI. So I barely know RI after living here 15+ years!

Pinot's Mom
07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
90% of the state is "across the Bridge." I seldom go there; maybe 8 or 10 times per year. SERIOUSLY!

I am right on the Mass. line, and as their sales tax is quite a bit less, plenty of shops have popped up there and everyone crosses for their items, big ticket or not. As I am originally FROM Mass., I have more friend "across the line" than I do here in RI. So I barely know RI after living here 15+ years!

"right on the line"...Tiverton, maybe? Just curious...you don't have to post that if you're not comfortable, you can PM me!

Ellie, I'd love to plan a get together - I know 'binky&archie's mom' is near; I'd have to look at my mail to see who else...should I post something in "meetings"? Hmm..lemme think about that.

pomtzu
07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Ellie, I'd love to plan a get together - I know 'binky&archie's mom' is near; I'd have to look at my mail to see who else...should I post something in "meetings"? Hmm..lemme think about that.

That sounds like a great idea. I'm about 10 mi NW of Dover and just a few miles from the DE/MD line. When I go to Baltimore, it's just a straight shot down 301 and only about an hour to the Annapolis area, and from there I just pick up the interstate and the beltway. I had some major surgery in 2000 and 2006 at Univ of MD Hosp/Shock Trauma and spent a lot of time going back and forth to there and to my doctor in Timonium, so I know the area almost like the back of my hand - unfortunately! :(

Cincy'sMom
07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm still in the planning stages right now, but will be in Philadelphia the week of Sept. 14. My thought is to fly into Richmond, VA on Saturday, Sept. 12 and go to the NASCAR race that night. I then have Sunday and Monday to drive up to Philly, before I have to be there Tuesday morning. I would be going right through MD/DE area. Would anyone be interested in getting together on Sunday, the 13th?

Pinot's Mom
07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
"Would anyone be interested in getting together on Sunday, the 13th? " (of September) Absolutely! We are a stone's throw from Philly - 2.5 hours or so - I think that's a great plan! If you'd like, I'll post a plan for a PT gathering in meetings. We could do it at my house, if you'd like, we have lots of room! Or, we could go to a park with a pavilion...will you be with pets, or without?

pomtzu
07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I could do the 13th. As much as I'd like to bring the poochies, I don't think they would be too enthused, but maybe just Sparky.
I'm not really familiar with any parks in your area. The only one that I know of is Sandy Point on the Annapolis side of the Bay Bridge. I haven't been there in years, but it used to be nice, and they used to have a pavilion too.

Cincy'sMom
07-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Since the real intent of my travel is business related, I will be pet-less. I'll let you know as soon as my plans firm up, but right now it sounds good to me. I say let's start a thread, see how many are interested then we can decide what a good central location would be.

As we get closer, I'll prbablly be looking for hotels for Sunday night, if you have any suggestions.

Pinot's Mom
07-02-2009, 03:18 PM
See new thread in "meetings"! :)