PDA

View Full Version : was that a good or bad noise?

toughCookie
09-29-2002, 02:09 AM
when your cats are playing, and running, and make a noise, are you able to tell what it is? most of the time, I know what it is, or if it was a good or bad noise, as example.. that it is ok, they just bumped against the kitchen chairs, or that was the cardboard box, they're playing in it... or, oh no, that did not sound good at all, and it turns out they have knocked over something breakable.
I mean other than glass, which is obvious.:eek:

Rachel
09-29-2002, 07:21 AM
There is a distinctive noise my dogs make about 5 seconds before they throw up. gurk...gurk...gurk Even two rooms away, it is enough to send a dog owner into the *OUT...OUT...OUT* mode. Do cats have a distinctive pre-regurgitating sound?

neko1
09-29-2002, 07:57 AM
They sure do! My cats first start licking the air and then they make the pre-gurgitating noises. They also move their bodies forward, and you can see it in the chests that their gonna heave. They give you enough warning so that you can pick them up and put them somewhere easier to clean up the mess.

RockyRoad
09-29-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
There is a distinctive noise my dogs make about 5 seconds before they throw up. gurk...gurk...gurk Even two rooms away, it is enough to send a dog owner into the *OUT...OUT...OUT* mode. Do cats have a distinctive pre-regurgitating sound?

My dog makes the same sound when she is going to barf. Then I know to let her out and get the carpet cleaner ready :D . Sally never makes any noise, or at least not that I know of.

toughCookie
09-29-2002, 03:32 PM
well if I tried to get my cats before they barfed, they would just run, especially Louise. I usually just hear them when they are gagging, then they barf, so I guess that is the pre-barf sound? yes mine do that too, the moving the upper body forward. I usually get there int time to see it happen. oh boy!

Uabassoon
09-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Corkscrew makes that sound too. But I learned that if I move him before he barfs he won't barf... He wants to pick out his own spot and doesn't like me telling him where to go. So when I hear the noise I take a sheet up paper and put it underneath him. It makes for easy cleaning.

krazyaboutkatz
09-29-2002, 11:02 PM
Storm did the heaving noise today. He wanted to barf on the carpet but I put his head in the kitchen and I held on to him so he couldn't turn around. He barfed on the kitchen floor and then I thought he was through but he made the noise again so I had to quickly grab him again. I knew he was going to throw up sometime today because he got in my roommates bathroom and he was eating a plant in there. :
Mary, I'm sorry we got off the subject. I can usually also tell if the noise is good or bad. When my cats knock something over or off a table then I know it's bad.

Cataholic
10-01-2002, 04:40 PM
This is an interesting thread...when I have visitors over, they will say, "what was that" and invariably, I know exactly what it was. I rarely get spooked at night from cat noises.

As to the throw up (or hurl, as I call it)...I always know when Tex is going to do it. If I see him on the hardwood, I don't even react. When I see him on the couch, I do like unabassoon, and put a sheet of paper, magazine, cloth, etc., under him, and away he goes. It is usually in triplicate, so I just move with him. No mess, no fuss, and we go on.

Stepping in it still gets my retch up, though I am quite comfortable picking it up now! GROSS Huh?