PDA

View Full Version : Paddling, who does it?

blue
06-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Not as in spanking kids but like rafting, canoeing or kayaking. What do you paddle?

I have a 9' and 16' catarafts and a 9' kayak. My rafts have been used mostly on rivers and Ive had the kayak out twice.

I was thinking about selling the 9' raft until I started using it again this weekend for fishing.

caseysmom
06-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I've always wanted to I live pretty close to a lake and have rented a kayak and it was more work than I thought! I still would like to get a kayak if I see one at a good price I may still get one.

I am less than half a mile from where I could go out in one and it would be good excercize.

blue
06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Ive been out on lakes with sea kayaks and I know how to roll them but I wouldnt bet that I could do it today. I can right a swamped canoe or kayak and get back in either one and get back to shore, knowing that Ill stick with my rafts.

I do have a kayak for sale. If it goes to a good home all Ill ask is shipping costs.

If I find the pics of my little raft loaded for a 3 day trip Ill post them up.

caseysmom
06-29-2009, 12:53 AM
I know Glacier kayaks, she is up your way, she shares some beautiful pictures from her outings.

Karen
06-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Canoeing on the Charles River, it is amazing the wildlife you can see if you are quietly paddling through!

Cincy'sMom
06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
We have not done it a lot, but I do enjoy it when we do. In two weeks, we will be on vacation, at a cabin we rent in Michigan. The cabin comes with 2 canoes and 2 kayaks, so I garuntee in two weeks I will be spenind a lot of time on the water.

My company also participates in each in our local Dragon Boat Races. I missed the race last year, but we will back this year. That is coming up the end of July, and it is a ton of fun!

Casper
07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I really enjoy canoeing and kayaking; though I prefer kayaking over the two. I live right around the corner from a lake and used to borrow my neighbor's kayak and spend hours out there.

This summer I have not been able to do much paddling at all due to the medicine I have to take for my heart. It has really bummed me out this whole summer... I missed the big family canoeing/float trip a few weeks ago; something I had been looking forward to the whole year.

I have promised myself to buy a kayak of my own after I have the procedure on my heart (which will hopefully correct what is wrong). If all goes well that will be in August/September.

jennielynn1970
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I would love to do more of it.

We went rafting in the Lehigh Gorge, which is like a level 3 for rapids, so not that big, but big enough.

Had such a great time, even though I got washed overboard, lol. Dave decided he wanted to "surf" a place called Amy's Hole. Yeah. In a raft with 4 people on it. He kayaked for 10 years, so was used to surfing kayaks, but ugh... he thought he'd have more control of the raft. Unfortunately, he didn't, and whoooosh!!! over I went, lol. The currents were strong, we had just had a ton of rain, so the water was high too... I lost my headband, almost lost my shorts and sunglasses too.

They offer kayak school, which would be so cool. The kayak guys were great, and really made you want to learn how they do what they do.

RICHARD
07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Ive been out on lakes with sea kayaks and I know how to roll them but I wouldnt bet that I could do it today.

Wait a second,

An Eskimo roll isn't food?;)