PDA

View Full Version : Billy Mays died

Medusa
06-28-2009, 10:45 AM
His wife found him this morning unresponsive. His commercials will certainly be remembered. He was 50 years old. RIP, Mr. Mays.

sparks19
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
whoa wasn't he JUST on the tonight show last week? holy smokes

joycenalex
06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
it'll be a lot louder over there.....and a bit quieter here....RIP billy

pomtzu
06-28-2009, 11:14 AM
All these deaths??? This is getting weird.

Seravieve
06-28-2009, 11:18 AM
WOW.. just found an article about it. Lot's of people (celebs) dying this week...

Police: TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at home

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead Sunday morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, says the family doesn't expect to make any public statements and asked for privacy.

Mays was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Daisy and Delilah
06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
WOW!!! I'm just shocked again. Only 50 years old. Heaven is indeed alot louder today. Rest In Peace Billy :(

neko1
06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow such a tragic week:(

Medusa
06-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I couldn't hit the mute button fast enough when his commercials came on but the man who installed my floors said that Billy Mays was a good friend of his and that he was a super nice guy.

happylabs
06-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I guess that is a good way to go...in your sleep...peacefully. RIP Billy Mays.

Grace
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Autopsy results could be very interesting. He was on that plane that had a rough landing in Tampa yesterday.

From CNN -

Mays was on the US Airways flight from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Tampa on Saturday that had a hard landing at Tampa International Airport when the plane's front tire blew out. There were no reported injuries on Flight 1241, US Airways told CNN.

According to a local Tampa TV station, Mays said: "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

Think Natasha Richardson . . . . . . .

Taz_Zoee
06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
OH wow! My mom said she saw him on some interview and he is actually a very soft spoken guy. How he talks in the commercials is all an act. Darn, I guess I should say was....:(.

Catty1
06-28-2009, 01:10 PM
According to a local Tampa TV station, Mays said: "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

Shades of Natasha Richardson... :(

RIP Billy.

RICHARD
06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
WTF?

I just finished watching Pitchmen, then my brother called and told me they found him dead......

And what is the Grim Reapers facination with the Number 50?

That totally sucks.....RIP!

--------------------------

I have to make a joke about this.......

I can see people at his service listening to the eulogy and at the end someone jumps up and says, "BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE!"

Suki Wingy
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I always said he was my arch enemy.

davidpizzica
06-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Billy Mays, you will be missed. I understand that he grew up in the Pittsburgh area which makes doubly sad for me. RICHARD, I think those words should be his epitaph.

Medusa
06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Billy Mays, you will be missed. I understand that he grew up in the Pittsburgh area which makes doubly sad for me. RICHARD, I think those words should be his epitaph.

Yep, he's a Pgh. boy.

davidpizzica
06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Yep, he's a Pgh. boy.
Mary, I looked it up and it said that he was born in McKees Rocks, Pa just down the Ohio river.

Medusa
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Mary, I looked it up and it said that he was born in McKees Rocks, Pa just down the Ohio river.

Well, how about that! We could've been nearly neighbors at one time.

moosmom
06-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Now I won't have to mute my tv everytime I hear his obnoxious voice.

RIP Billy. Go yell somewhere else.

RICHARD
06-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I tuned in to the U.S./Brazil soccer game.

The U.S. was winning 2-0. I held my breath.

All the stars dying this week, then the U.S. beats Brazil.

Indeed, the world is going to end.

Then, the U.S. let 3 goals go by, Brazil won - now everything seems right on the planet....:eek::rolleyes:

Medusa
06-28-2009, 05:03 PM
I tuned in to the U.S./Brazil soccer game.

The U.S. was winning 2-0. I held my breath.

All the stars dying this week, then the U.S. beats Brazil.

Indeed, the world is going to end.

Then, the U.S. let 3 goals go by, Brazil won - now everything seems right on the planet....:eek::rolleyes:

I watched most of it. Irritating!

RICHARD
06-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I watched most of it. Irritating!

If the U.S. would have won, we would all have been in trouble!:rolleyes::eek:

blue
06-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Im sure there is a Billy Mays, Michael Jackson, Oxyclean joke somewhere for all of this.

K9soul
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM

WOW :eek:

Rest well, Billy Mays :(.

Vela
06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Regardless of whether you liked his voice or not....the man had a wife and family. They lost their loved one. That remark seems rather tasteless in light of that.

Glad he can stop inconveniencing you with his voice now...although his wife probably doesn't feel the same way.

beeniesmom
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
It is a bit creepy that so many star personalities have been dying. I just read that he died of heart disease and that it had nothing to do with the rough landing in Tampa.

lvpets2002
06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
:( I so agree.. RIP Billy Mays

CountryWolf07
06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Excuse me.

I do feel bad for those loved ones who lost these people who recently passed away. I know there are more than one reasons not to like Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, Farrah, or even Ed. But please, at least, don't sound so cold when it comes to talking about these people. They did have a family, a group of friends, I am sure, who are going to miss them a great amount.

Anyways, I hope they all rest in peace. They are all in a better place. Just remember, God gave them a reason to be on this earth to have the life they've had.

I guess I am just surprised by others' reactions about this. Maybe I am just being very moody since this week/weekend is the first year after my grandfather passed away,and it will be 10 years for my grandmother. Yeah, time goes on, but I will never get over losing them, as they played a big role in my life. Anyways, I felt like I had to say something.

Thanks.

pomtzu
06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Excuse me.

I do feel bad for those loved ones who lost these people who recently passed away. I know there are more than one reasons not to like Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, Farrah, or even Ed. But please, at least, don't sound so cold when it comes to talking about these people. They did have a family, a group of friends, I am sure, who are going to miss them a great amount.

Anyways, I hope they all rest in peace. They are all in a better place. Just remember, God gave them a reason to be on this earth to have the life they've had.

I guess I am just surprised by others' reactions about this. Maybe I am just being very moody since this week/weekend is the first year after my grandfather passed away,and it will be 10 years for my grandmother. Yeah, time goes on, but I will never get over losing them, as they played a big role in my life. Anyways, I felt like I had to say something.

Thanks.

Very well said. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

And no - you're not being moody - you're just being a compassionate young woman!

Alysser
06-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Excuse me.

Thanks.

I was going to type something along these lines but that isn't nessacary anymore. I think you summed it up perfectly, CountryWolf :) RIP Billy Mays.

Taz_Zoee
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Regardless of whether you liked his voice or not....the man had a wife and family. They lost their loved one. That remark seems rather tasteless in light of that.

Glad he can stop inconveniencing you with his voice now...although his wife probably doesn't feel the same way.

Yes, he had a wife and a young daughter, 3 years old I believe. That poor little girl doesn't have a daddy anymore. :( And like I posted in one of my other posts, he didn't always talk like that. That was his act, no matter how annoying anyone thinks it is. And I am one that thought it was annoying, but I'm not glad he's gone.

I also agree with Rachel's post. There is a time and place for jokes. I'm all for jokes, but not in a thread talking about someone's death.

K9soul
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I also agree with Rachel's post. There is a time and place for jokes. I'm all for jokes, but not in a thread talking about someone's death.

I agree, and feel the same way. It makes me feel a bit sick to see/hear disrespectful jokes about people who have passed and left behind grieving family and friends. I guess if people have to joke about them, I hope they do it elsewhere than in threads discussing their passing.

Grace
06-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, it wasn't an injury to his head that caused his death. The coroner said all signs point to heart disease. Billy Mays had no known symptoms of heart disease before his death.

According to CNN, he had a hip replacement last year. And I would bet he had a full cardiac work-up before the surgery. So whatever it was, there seemed to be no early warning signs.

Medusa
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
According to what I heard today on the news, whenever there's a sudden and unexpected death, that's usually the "symptom" (their word) of heart disease. It's very sad. He had a 22 yr. old and a 3 year old plus his wife, of course.

phesina
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
This morning there was a radio station on at the shelter with one of those morning shows featuring a couple of young smarta*s guys making their yuk-yuks about current events. Well, today these two guys were going on and on about Michael Jackson, making all kinds of wisecracks and telling jokes and laughing away. I thought, hey come on, the guy just died suddenly and unexpectedly. At least let him be buried and rest in peace.

There are all sorts of comments one could make about Michael Jackson and the way he lived his life, but what on earth gives these two jokers the idea that they are any better?

RICHARD
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Just saw two of his ads....Is it right to keep playing the commercials?

I thought of all the BM commericals that would be taken off the air.

What would we watch then???? :confused::eek:

finn's mom
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
RIP Billy Mays.

It is truly pathetic when "adults" can make jokes and insults on a thread about someone's death.

Karen
06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Regardless of what you felt about Billy Mays, and his commercials, etc., let his death serve a purpose. It is being said now that he likely died from heart disease and long undiagnosed high blood pressure.

Take the time to get your blood pressure checked, okay? High blood pressure is known as the "silent killer" for good reason. You may think it is just caused by being overweight, or by being 'high strung,' but that is not the case. Many factors, including unknowns, can cause high blood pressure, even in seemingly healthy, calm people.

If you are a member here, it means there are people who love you and care about you, and that you probably have pets that depend on you. Getting your blood pressure checked is often a free service at malls or pharmacies, and what you don't know CAN kill you. Get yours checked today.

Catty1
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/128907273678313084.jpg

K9soul
06-30-2009, 12:03 AM
:( I don't get the joking over the loss of people's lives.

Catty1
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
From an earlier post in this thread:
I have to make a joke about this.......

I can see people at his service listening to the eulogy and at the end someone jumps up and says, "BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE!"

And a reply from another poster two posts later:
RICHARD, I think those words should be his epitaph.

Like the picture above - pokes fun at his style, commemorating what he will be remembered most for (which others have mentioned here), but does have the RIP message at the bottom of it. The pic struck me as heartfelt, humourous and yet sincere.

Nothing was said in that picture that hasn't been said on this and in other threads. I see nothing disrespectful about the pic or the other comments - including ones that refer to the 'dying in threes' rule definitely not applying (see the thread "They're dropping like flies").

Medusa
06-30-2009, 06:54 AM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/128907273678313084.jpg

I think he would've loved this pic. :)

pomtzu
06-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Catty:

I believe what some found to be inappropriate, was the post referring to his "obnoxious voice" and saying to "go yell somewhere else". Otherwise, I don't see that the other posts were malicious at all.

Catty1
06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I didn't say the other posts were malicious - my point. They weren't saying anything that this pic wasn't.

RICHARD
06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I apologize if anyone thought that I was being disrespectful about BM's death.

I like BM and thought he was a fun 'icon' and part of pop culture.

MY joke was not meant in a mean vein, it was merely a jab at how we let these people into our homes/lives, and how they affect the way we think about them.

It wasn't meant as a mean spirited dig-it was more a dig at the people who really idolized him.

Medusa
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM

MY joke was not meant in a mean vein, it was merely a jab at how we let these people into our homes/lives, and how they affect the way we think about them.

It wasn't meant as a mean spirited dig-it was more a dig at the people who really idolized him.

FWIW, I thought your comment was funny and not in the least disrespectful and I think Mays would've thought so, too, just as he probably would've laughed at Catty1's post w/photo. As you said, it wasn't mean spirited. Thinking people know the difference. :)

K9soul
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry if people don't see it the same. I just see no humor in the idea of the man "throwing in his life" at no additional cost. It is a human life that was taken suddenly and tragically. I guess I can't stop thinking about it from the perspective of his daughters and his wife. We wouldn't joke about people in natural disasters or 911 losing their life so why do we with celebrities? In the end they are people with families. I see nothing wrong with laughing at funny things he did in life, but that particular picture is joking about his death, and it bothers me.

ETA: I didn't need an explanation of the joke, I "got it." Also for what it's worth it's not said in particular that celebrities die in threes, but more that tragedies or events happen in threes. Anyway I've said my piece.

The funeral comment, 'but wait, there's more' didn't bother me. The 'throwing in the life for no cost' did. People are free to post it and chuckle at it I guess. I have watched his bloopers and outakes on Youtube and laughed, but I can't laugh about his actual death.

Pam
06-30-2009, 04:45 PM

I didn't take your comments as disrespectful Richard. In fact, the "wait, there's more" made me smile and I think it would have made him smile as well. It shows that we paid attention to what he said when he was in our living rooms. I have been to many funerals where the deceased was sort of poked fun at by the telling of many stories about them. These were not mean-spirited jabs but rather fond recollections and yes there was even laughter. I am thinking right now of my mom's passing (Nov. 28, 2008) and we did smile as we remembered some of the funny things she said and did and the way she thought about things. If Billy Mays' family might find your statements hurtful, take comfort in the fact that they are not likely to be reading Pet Talk. :)

K9soul
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, one more comment and I'm done. I just want to say I didn't think anyone here was trying to be mean spirited. I do feel there is a difference between laughing about funny stories of someone in life versus laughing about their dying. It's the creator of the picture that I don't understand. People see things differently I guess.

ETA: I honestly didn't intend to start a big debate over the picture. I saw it last night when I was tired and ragged and it suprised me, I posted my thoughts. Today I came back to clarify why I felt the way I did. But again, I didn't intend to be accusatory or to start arguments.

Daisy and Delilah
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Regardless of what you felt about Billy Mays, and his commercials, etc., let his death serve a purpose. It is being said now that he likely died from heart disease and long undiagnosed high blood pressure.

Take the time to get your blood pressure checked, okay? High blood pressure is known as the "silent killer" for good reason. You may think it is just caused by being overweight, or by being 'high strung,' but that is not the case. Many factors, including unknowns, can cause high blood pressure, even in seemingly healthy, calm people.

If you are a member here, it means there are people who love you and care about you, and that you probably have pets that depend on you. Getting your blood pressure checked is often a free service at malls or pharmacies, and what you don't know CAN kill you. Get yours checked today.

Karen, this is a beautiful message to all of us. I also think we should think about making sure our own health is in order. Billy Mays seemed like a very healthy guy. Always neat, clean, and energetic. It should give us all a wakeup call.

I think it was Grace that said he had a hip replacement last year. Pre-op should have detected a possible problem. This wasn't true in this case. No matter what great health we think we have, we should be 100% positive.

finn's mom
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I kinda think the photo is funny, and one he'd have chuckled at himself. But, I don't know his personality, only the persona on tv. I do know that it didn't insult me, but there were some other things said that bugged me. Everyone's different, that's for sure. Ultimately, it's the intent that matters most.

RICHARD
07-04-2009, 01:42 AM
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=418962&GT1=28103

I worked in a preop dept for some time and there were ALL kinds of reasons to cancel a surgery. The bit about him going in for a pre op and no one seeing/suspecting he had BP problems is pretty serious.

I can see a possible lawsuit coming down the pike.

RICHARD
07-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Now,
Some of you were really irritated about Billy Mays yelling all the time?

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Uj-4PbahE

I saw this commercial a while back, I admire the fact that this guy can pitch in espanol....But, he sure has a creepy voice and inflection!:D

lvpets2002
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
:o Nope dont like Sham Wow guy nether.. He also advertises the Veggie Chopper thing & of you will like his Nuttss..
Now,
Some of you were really irritated about Billy Mays yelling all the time?

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Uj-4PbahE

I saw this commercial a while back, I admire the fact that this guy can pitch in espanol....But, he sure has a creepy voice and inflection!:D

Grace
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Doesn't anyone NOT use drugs these days?

(CNN) -- An autopsy report issued Friday by Hillsborough County, Florida, cites cocaine as a contributing factor in the death of TV pitchman Billy Mays, who died in June at age 50.
The Hillsborough County medical examiner's office said cocaine use contributed to Billy Mays' heart disease.

"Mays died from a lethal arrhythmia of the heart caused by hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease," the county said in a statement attributed to Dr. Leszek Chrostowski, the associate medical examiner who conducted the autopsy.

"He further concluded that cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of his heart disease, and therefore contributed to his death," it added.

Karen
08-07-2009, 05:38 PM
How sad, and stupid of him. It seems like everyone believes that it is okay for them to use drugs, that it only hurts "others." Guess what, folks, chemicals do not care how large your ego is, or how high or low your self esteem or net worth are. Abusing drugs can kill you - yes, you.

I have lost respect for him. I always found him annoying, but his energy and enthusiasm admirable. No more.

Pam
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I may be wrong but didn't Michael Jackson die a few days before Billy Mays? Why are the toxocology results in on BM and not MJ? I am wondering if we will ever know the drugs that were in MJ's body. :rolleyes:

Karen
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I may be wrong but didn't Michael Jackson die a few days before Billy Mays? Why are the toxocology results in on BM and not MJ? I am wondering if we will ever know the drugs that were in MJ's body. :rolleyes:

I am guessing different crime labs in different states (California versus Florida) have different timelines, and there are more "interested parties" involved in MJ's case that would try to keep things from the media as well. Probably lawyers swarming thicker than bees around a clover patch.

Pam
08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Probably lawyers swarming thicker than bees around a clover patch.

You've got that right! ;)

Grace
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM

I believe the results for MJ are in, but the police in LA are waiting to release them until they complete their investigation regarding his death. There may be charges filed against the doctor.

kokopup
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM
The results have been released for MJ death.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2009/08/michael-jackson-toxicology-tests-show-propofol-xanax/

Grace
08-07-2009, 06:46 PM

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2009/08/michael-jackson-toxicology-tests-show-propofol-xanax/

Well, not exactly released - results have been leaked would be more like it :)

I guess I'm surprised there weren't more drugs in his system.

I've had Diprovan - when I had surgery in March. The anesthesiologist said it would make me wake up with a smile on my face :) And he was correct. Mixed with Fentanyl and Versed makes it even better.

Pam
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Well once again I get my news from Pet Talk. ;)

RICHARD
08-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, not exactly released - results have been leaked would be more like it :)

I guess I'm surprised there weren't more drugs in his system.

I've had Diprovan - when I had surgery in March. The anesthesiologist said it would make me wake up with a smile on my face :) And he was correct. Mixed with Fentanyl and Versed makes it even better.

Remember Quaaludes?:eek::rolleyes:;)

----------

NO wonder Mays was always carrying on!:eek:

Grace
08-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Remember Quaaludes?:eek::rolleyes:;)

Yes.

RICHARD
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes.

Those were the simpler days.:rolleyes:

I learned that any drug that has repeats consonants and prominently uses one of the last 10 letters of the alphabet, rule doesn't follow common spelling rules is dangerous.:eek:

When in doubt? Get the PDR out.:o