PDA

View Full Version : How many cats do you have?

catnapper
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Since its looking increasingly like we're going to end up with another foster failure, I just wanted to know how many cats people have. I had no problem admitting to 5 cats to complete strangers... but 6 or 7? :eek:

Now, please let everyone know how many cats you have. Foster moms, please tell me how many cats are yours in the poll, then lets us know how many are actually in your home :)

Grace
06-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I have 6, and they are all mine. We deliberately chose 2 of them - Duffy in 1998 and Abby in 2002. The other 4 sort of crossed paths with us throughout the years, and we could never resist a sweet face :)

I think 3 would be absolutely perfect, especially as my husband is allergic to cats. But we deal with what we have - and the new hardwood floors have helped immensely.

Alasse
06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I have 2 cats (3 is the city council limit where i live)

Don Juan's mom
06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Two. My place is small, so that's the limit.

krazyaboutkatz
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
I have 6 but I'd love to get it down to only 2 again. That will take many years though. My vet said that I have a closed herd meaning that no more cats are coming into my home.

katladyd
06-28-2009, 02:17 AM
I have two, and that is what is allowed in my apartment complex. I know the manager pretty well and if I got another one, she's keep quiet about it. She has five and we always have fun when we start talking about cats!

Medusa
06-28-2009, 06:02 AM
The most that I had indoors was 8 but I'm down to 6 now since Peeka and Puddy went to the Bridge. You'll be fine once you get a routine going which you probably already do anyhow. :)

Scooter's Mom
06-28-2009, 06:13 AM
My ex-dh and I had 5 kitties but we had other pets too.

Sasha kitty, Twinkie Boo, Cassie Kay, Scooter Bug and Harvey Bear. Plus we had Tater Tot the Chihuahua... as well as Marty the lovebird, a huge aquarium, bunnies, hamsters, mice and gerbils.

People thought we were a little crazy but we loved each of our pets so we didn't really care. :)

K2QC
06-28-2009, 07:35 AM
My township regulates the number of pets each residence can have. Mine is two cats - so that's what I have.

jenluckenbach
06-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Well, I do NOT admit my number to people, because they would "judge"! I openly admitted to 10 even 11, but after that I was afraid about getting into trouble with the city.

MoonandBean
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
I have 2. I say "go for it"...I promise we will never call you "crazy cat lady" :D

catmandu
06-28-2009, 09:49 AM
I never admit how many Cats are in the Found Cat Hotel as thats I believe how the Animal Control came to visit me a rew yeras ago.
Loose lips sink Cat Shelters.:eek:
In a way it was a good thing as I have written permission for My Found Cats , if I add no more.
I admit had Ebony Beau Tubster been haelthy , he like his Dad Tubster Panther who ne an indoor/outdoor Found Cat.
:love::love::love:
There are 8 Found Cats now an OCTO PUSSY!!!
:rolleyes::(:rolleyes:

Barbara
06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Just admit as many as you are comfortable with and tell them they sometimes bring friends over for lunch ;)

Kirsten
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Two cats, Luna and Lily. :)

Kirsten

orangemm
06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
We have 2 right now; the number varies from time to time. We've had as many as 7, and for a very short time we only had 1.

The more, the merrier!:D

katladyd
06-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I am always tempted to get another one, I really am. Cats are addictive.:love:

Zippy
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
I have 2 and that's the perfect number for me.:)

blue
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I only have the one. If Erp got along with other cats Ild have 2 maybe, big maybe, 3.

mruffruff
06-29-2009, 09:27 AM
I have 11. It was 12 until I took one to the shelter to be adopted a couple of months ago. I also have 2 kittens in a cage that I'm fostering. Municiple laws were change after I already had all of them, so I'm grandfathered in and animal control doesn't have a say. No one has ever complained. Even the neighbors don't mind. In fact, they bring food.

Lately they have been staying in "their" room and the cat pen. I hardly know they are here.

emily_the_spoiled
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I have 10 (soon to be 11), but I very seldom tell people that because they wouldn't understand. (Someone once told me that I am a "single woman of a certain age, with too many degrees, too much yarn , and too many cats. So I guess I qualify as that "crazy cat lady".) I figure I have a big enough house for everyone, they are well taken care of (I have a good relationship with my vet), and they don't go outside so no one actually knows how many I have :rolleyes:

GILL
06-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I can't say. The town has a limit of 3. But no limit on fosters.

Lizzie
06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I have 10 (soon to be 11), but I very seldom tell people that because they wouldn't understand. (Someone once told me that I am a "single woman of a certain age, with too many degrees, too much yarn , and too many cats. So I guess I qualify as that "crazy cat lady".) I figure I have a big enough house for everyone, they are well taken care of (I have a good relationship with my vet), and they don't go outside so no one actually knows how many I have :rolleyes:

I can relate to that - the "certain age", happily calling myself a "crazy cat lady", and all indoor cats. I very carefully have only fosters in a double bedroom at the front so the neighbors only see those two at the windows. I also have a big enough house that they all have plenty of room, although they (fosters and mine) tend to be in the room I'm in. If one or two of them feel like some personal space, they can always find an empty bedroom where they can sit in the window.

I have my own cats (single digit) and I also have 7 fosters. It was 8 until a week ago when I lost my wonderful Alexander (18) to all the usual old-age ailments. It's strange how a home will feel emptier than it should when just one cat has gone even when you've known him for barely 2 years.

Another foster, Catullus, will be going out for adoption soon, and Challenge may be going to the social-feral area of the shelter for some extra socialization. My household is in constant flux. I've just volunteered to take on another foster that I saw at one of the shelter's adoption centers who the staff said no-one could touch. I don't know what they were thinking to put him straight out for adoption; I guess they were very busy and he's young and Siamese. He smells bad, and his coat looks clumpy, as though he isn't taking care of himself.

Vermontcat
06-29-2009, 09:05 PM
After 20 years with only a single cat who liked it that way, I now have two cats.
Two seems to be the magic number for a lot of Pet Talkers it seems.:)

smokey the elder
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
I have 6 of my own and variable numbers of fosters.

Pinot's Mom
06-30-2009, 07:40 AM
We are owned by one kitty - as some of you know, Pinot would probably endanger another kitty with the viral disease she seems to be a carrier of. We started out for two, but one's just fine! We've actually been a one kitty household for almost all of our 28 years together.:love:

catlover4ever
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I will admit to anyone who asks that I have 7 kitties. :)

Prairie Purrs
06-30-2009, 09:15 AM
(Someone once told me that I am a "single woman of a certain age, with too many degrees, too much yarn , and too many cats. So I guess I qualify as that "crazy cat lady".)

Substitute "too many books" for "too much yarn" and I'm right there with you! :D

emily_the_spoiled
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey at least this way I do not have to explain how much I spend on yarn to anyone else but myself :D (It makes it alot easier to justify buying some of the stuff!)

Catlady711
06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
5 were planned editions to the house, the last 3 (littermates) were supposed to be fosters;), but are part of the family now.

Until my Dusty passed away in 2007 I did have a total of 8 in the house though.

To be honest 4-5 is a better number for me, but we manage with all 7.

catnapper
06-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I forgot to answer my own poll! :eek:

I have 5 cats, with 3 fosters. I've got a new determination to see my two babies find homes.... As much as I adore these kittens, I know they need to find their own homes. My coworkers were telling me this afternoon how out of control 5 cats are. I beg to differ on that one - 5 cats are perfectly sane and easy to care for.

But I fear I'd be leaping into cat-crazy-lady territory with 7.... once I hit that number, I seriously think I wouldn't care anymore just how many cats reside here. It'll always be "What's one more?"

My coworker said the news cameras would come and drag out 30 cats and I'd be yelling "But the litterboxes are all clean!" And he's RIGHT. :eek:

momtomany
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I was owned by 12 indoor only kitties, but lost one last year to cancer, so I am owned by 11.:eek: I have 1 outdoor cat:love: that has claimed me as his human who I would love to bring indoors, but he doesn't like sharing me with any of the other neighborhood cats........he chases them out of the yard.. I have 2 cat colonies with that number being at 30. So, I guess you can say I am owned by 43 cats!!:eek::rolleyes::love:
It is a lot of work having that many indoors but well worth all the love I get in return. Go for it.:D
I am a multiple time over foster failure..........

K & L
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
30+ but who's counting!

krazyaboutkatz
07-02-2009, 10:36 PM
At the beginning of this poll I had 6 but now I'm down to 5 since Starr has gone to the Bridge.:(

Grace
07-02-2009, 10:39 PM
30+ but who's counting!

Look who showed up!! How is everything out in Glendale? I have missed your critters, and missed you :)

Taz_Zoee
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
When I posted I had two. Now I only have one.

RIP Taz

K & L
07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Look who showed up!! How is everything out in Glendale? I have missed your critters, and missed you :)

Thanks for missing us Grace! I will try and post some photos and updates soon!!

astrid
07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I have half a cat...
We share Sophie with my brother :D