PDA

View Full Version : Can you spare a prayer for my blackie Boo Bear?; 7/9; He's hyperthyroid; post #38

Medusa
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
He's so thin that I'm getting worried. He had his senior checkup last year and Dr. Lee told me that everything was fine, that some cats get really thin as they age and Boo is 18 1/2. He's acting weird, though, too. He and Pidge have been heart throbs since the day I brought Pidge home and lately he's been downright mean to her. He still mounts her and I guess that's ok except that he's so rough that he makes her cry out. He bites her on the back of the neck so hard that sometimes I can't even pull him off her. I've been having Pidge sleep w/me since she was diagnosed w/cardiomyopathy and I thought it would do her good to have Boo sleep w/us, too and, for a while it worked. But now he's just so mean to her, that I end up putting him in the basement w/the rest of the Fur Posse so that he'll leave Pidge alone. He's acting awfully needy, too. He wants to be on my lap all the time and, in fact, he's on my lap right now as I type. He's always been so laid back and this makes me wonder as well. So he has an appt. w/Dr. Lee on Monday at 2:00. Until then, if you could spare a prayer for my skinny ol' handsome boy, I'd appreciate it. Boo is my son's heart kitty and my son's heart will break when Boo finally does make his trip to the Bridge which I'm hoping won't be for years yet.

3Catcondo
06-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Sending out prayers to you and Boo. I love your sunroom, I wish I had one.

lvpets2002
06-26-2009, 10:47 AM
:love: You know Mary I still dont understand Boo is still doing all of that mounting on Pidge.. My males dont even try the females.. I guess they all know that they are all fixed & dont even have the desire to waste the energy..
Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss for your Baby Boo..

Taz_Zoee
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I will add you and Boo to my thoughts list.

My Taz is very clingy right now too. He's fallen several times trying to jump in my lap when I'm not ready.

Medusa
06-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I will add you and Boo to my thoughts list.

My Taz is very clingy right now too. He's fallen several times trying to jump in my lap when I'm not ready.

Boo has done that, too, but I chalked it up to getting old. He also walks through the house crying. He doesn't appear to be in pain, he eats, drinks and uses the litter box fine w/no problems and he doesn't fight w/any of the other cats but he just will not leave Pidge alone. I just can't figure it out. :confused:

Catty1
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Poor Boo and Pidge - and you! :love:

I hope the vet can find a reason for his aggression...maybe he's just more so as he gets older (meaning mounting Pidge).

HUGS and prayers going out.

gini
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Good thoughts and prayers going out to Boo. If only they could talk!!

GILL
06-26-2009, 12:00 PM
The CREW'S prayers are with Boo and you.

Queen of Poop
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Prayers from us for you and Boo, HUGS too.

phesina
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Prayers and a candle for Boo Bear and also for Pidge and you, Mary.

Medusa
06-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Prayers and a candle for Boo Bear and also for Pidge and you, Mary.

Oh thank you, Pat! It's I who should've lit a candle for you for your birthday! So here it is:http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8664455

Medusa
06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=8664513

catmandu
06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
That must be common with very old Cats as My Princess the Purrfect has turned crotchety as well, and even snarls at Michael Aka Mr Purr who shes know all her a looong time.:eek::eek:
Prayers are on the way for Boo Bear, hes such a Wonder Cat!!!
:love::love::love:

Soapets
06-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way from Nebraska.................

Karen
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I bet that animals suffer some of the same mental problems in age as people, who knows what they'd call Alzheimers in cats ... but anyway Boo will be in our prayers.

Freedom
06-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Aw, sorry to here Boo Bear is not feeling himself. Keeping him in my prayers.

FYI - my Vita lost weight for 2 years, I kept taking her in to the vet, having blood work, "all looks fine." Then this year in Feb, when we went in yet again (from 12 pound she was down to 6!), in addition to what the vet did I asked for the Free T4 lab work. It is a part of the thyroid testing. Sure enough, her TSH (total thyroid) is normal, but her Free T 4 (the active hormone) was through the roof! Hyperactive thyroid, which is common in cats as they age.

She is now on meds, but she has really suffered and it will take time to get her feeling better. I don't know why they don't use the Free T4 in veterinary medicine; my doc uses it for me!

Medusa
06-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Aw, sorry to here Boo Bear is not feeling himself. Keeping him in my prayers.

FYI - my Vita lost weight for 2 years, I kept taking her in to the vet, having blood work, "all looks fine." Then this year in Feb, when we went in yet again (from 12 pound she was down to 6!), in addition to what the vet did I asked for the Free T4 lab work. It is a part of the thyroid testing. Sure enough, her TSH (total thyroid) is normal, but her Free T 4 (the active hormone) was through the roof! Hyperactive thyroid, which is common in cats as they age.

She is now on meds, but she has really suffered and it will take time to get her feeling better. I don't know why they don't use the Free T4 in veterinary medicine; my doc uses it for me!

I'm going to write this down so that I don't forget it and I'll tell Dr. Lee about it when I go in on Monday. Knowing him, though, he may suggest it anyhow but it's good info to have. Thanx, Sandie. :)

Vermontcat
06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Boo is showing his age.
I hope everything goes well with him and that he is with you for a long time still.

kb2yjx
06-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Mary, there will be a candle for Boo and you!!! Not to mention prayers, too!!!

Medusa
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Just got home from our visit w/Dr. Lee. I had Boo's senior blood work done plus the advanced testing for hyperthyroidism but it has to be sent to MI Univ. and I won't know the results until Fri. at the earliest but probably Mon. Dr. Lee said that I could very well be right, that it may be his thyroid but he fears that it could also be CRF. Now isn't that a thought? He said that I'll probably have to start Boo on subq's and he said "So you'll have two cats on them". I said "So? No biggie." He just grinned. Boo Bear was such a trooper. He didn't even cry when they put the needle in his neck to draw his blood. He only lost another half lb. which surprised me because he's a bag of bones and everyone has commented on it. He weighs nearly 8 1/2 lbs. so I guess that he looks so skinny because he's a fairly big boy. So fingers and paws crossed that whatever it turns out to be that it's manageable w/medication and/or subq's. :(

pomtzu
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM
So sorry Mary, but I hadn't seen this thread before. I knew you had said that Boo hadn't been acting like his old self tho.

Prayers for Boo, that the test results are good, and/or that he can be managed with meds. And of course a prayer for you, and Miss Pidge too. :love:

Taz_Zoee
06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Mary, you are such an inspiration to me. You are able to handle two cats on sub-q's by yourself! I can hardly handle one and with help.

I will keep Boo in my thoughts.

GILL
06-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Boo is in our prayers

Medusa
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Mary, you are such an inspiration to me. You are able to handle two cats on sub-q's by yourself! I can hardly handle one and with help.

I will keep Boo in my thoughts.

Cindy, as I mentioned, when I first started the subq's, I really thought that I wouldn't be able to handle it. Now, I figure I'll just line 'em up, stick 'em and get on w/it. LOL

cassiesmom
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Prayers for Boo Bear!

momoffuzzyfaces
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you both too. :love:

Leonardo lost a lot of weight like that. It was his thyroid. His was over active. I had him on med for over a year and he gained back almost to his normal weight. He was doing really well until his arthritis did him in. :(

Medusa
06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Prayers on the way from me for you both too. :love:

Leonardo lost a lot of weight like that. It was his thyroid. His was over active. I had him on med for over a year and he gained back almost to his normal weight. He was doing really well until his arthritis did him in. :(

Given Boo's age, 18 1/2, I'm just going to take it day by day. :)

Catty1
06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Prayers that this comes back treatable and Boo can mellow out to his lovey-dovey self. :):love:

kitten645
06-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Positive vibes for you and Boo. You know my heart is always with the blackies! I hope he's back to his normal self in no time. xxxooo
Claudia, Calvin & Hobbes

Medusa
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
So far, so good. Dr. Lee just called and said "Boy, for Boo's age, he's doing pretty darned good!" He said that Boo isn't even in CRF, that his BUN was only slightly elevated and his creatinine is normal. The standard thyroid tests came back normal, too, but he's going to wait, of course, until the Free T4 test results come back from MI Univ. He said that Boo's behavior towards Pidge sure sounds like it could be hyperthyroidism but so far there's no indication of it. He did say that if Boo continues to pick on Pidge that he could give him something to mellow him out a little. I'm not sure that I want to do that. As much as I'd hate to, I'll put Boo back in the basement at night w/the rest of the Fur Posse. I've only had him sleep w/me to keep Pidge company but that clearly isn't working in her favor (or mine). LOL He kept me up most of last night because he just wouldn't leave her alone. So until Friday or possibly Monday, we won't know his test results and what course of action to take. I'll keep you posted, naturally, but prayers and positive vibes are still much appreciated. :)

momcat
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Many prayers are being prayed for Boo and Groucho is sending his fellow kitty get well purrs and headbumpies :love::love::love:

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you, scritchies and lovies for Pidge who must be a bit confused over her buddy.

Medusa
07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
[[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you, scritchies and lovies for Pidge who must be a bit confused over her buddy.

She really is, poor girl. She keeps giving him head bumpies or she'll sidle up next to him and he's nice to her, grooms her, etc. Then w/out warning, he makes her cry. Maybe he took lessons from my ex-boyfriend. LOL

jennielynn1970
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Catching up on things here.... hope that all the tests come out in Boo's favor!! Sounds like he's a tough old guy, lol, and maybe a bully in disguise! Poor Pidge!

Hugs to you, Mary!

Medusa
07-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm very cranky this morning. Boo kept me up all night. If he wasn't picking on Pidge, he was into everything and if it wasn't that, he was throwing up. He's on my lap right now. If he isn't hyperthyroid, then I'll really be worried because this just isn't my Boo Bear. I'm going to call Dr. Lee this morning and see if it's ok to start Boo on the subq's while I wait for the test results. I'm exhausted and I don't want to be mad at Boo. None of this is his fault but I'm recalling Puddy's last days w/her dementia and I cried every day for a couple of months. I won't put Boo through that. :(

Vermontcat
07-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Boo is still having issues.
I hope that you get good news with the test results from the vet.
Sending hugs your way.

Anikaca77
07-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Sorry I haven't posted till now but my prays are with you and Boo.

Pinot's Mom
07-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm so sorry things aren't straightening out with Boo, and I'm sorry for Pidge, too.:( Poor things, they both must be very confused (and you, too!).
Prayers things get better for all of you! :love:

Medusa
07-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Just as I suspected. Dr. Lee said that all his levels are high. So we're starting him on 5 mg. of Tapazole twice a day. In the meantime, he wants me to stop giving him Clomicalm until we see how the Tapazole is working. Oh boy. If he starts the inappropriate peeing again, I'm not going to happy but the important thing is that at least I know why Boo went from being my laid back cool cat to the needy bully that he became briefly. He hasn't had a sick day for the 18 years that I've had him so I guess he's doing pretty well, all things considered. Funny, though, I shaved off a little bit more Clomicalm to see how it would affect him and the last 3 days have been heavenly. No picking on Pidge, no neediness, no yowling throughout the house. But w/hyperthyroidism, the heart rate is increased and I don't know if Clomicalm helps w/that or not. Well anyhow, he'll start the Tapazole right away but in the meantime, if you could keep those prayers coming for my Boo Bear, I'd appreciate it. Dr. Lee said that some cats don't do well on that medication and I'm hoping that Boo isn't one of them.

Thank you, Sandie, for telling me about the Free T4 dialysis test. If I hadn't insisted on it, Dr. Lee wouldn't have done it because he said that it's rarely done on cats. To his credit, though, he said that he was glad that we did the test but that the lab still insists that it's rarely done for cats. Dogs, yes; cats, no. Why that is I have no idea but Boo could've gone undiagnosed and it could've ultimately led to his death. This test may have added years to his life.

CultureJunky
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Boo has hyperthyroidism. This is what my beloved Jack had, but sadly due to him not being diagnosed early enough...well you all know the story. He'd developed Hypertrophic Cardiomyopthy and the thickening of the walls of his heart was just too bad.
I am so glad that Boo is getting treated properly and as soon as possible so that he won't get so ill as Jack did. I am praying the tablets will make him so much better and he'll improve quickly.
I'm thinking of you Boo :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM
That's exactly the med Leonardo was on. He got to where he only needed a half a pill twice a day.

I still have about 40 pills of his left. I'll be glad to send them to you if you need them. They are 5mg too.

(((HUGS))) to you both

Taz_Zoee
07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I am so glad you found out what was going on and that treatment is in the works. I will be hoping the treatment works and Boo is a happy camper once again.

Hugs to you and Boo Bear.

Medusa
07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
That's exactly the med Leonardo was on. He got to where he only needed a half a pill twice a day.

I still have about 40 pills of his left. I'll be glad to send them to you if you need them. They are 5mg too.

(((HUGS))) to you both

Yes, I remember. I'm sorry about your sweet Jack. My Pidgelet has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy but it was caught early enough, I guess, because she's been doing great on her meds that were started mid October of '08.

Medusa
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

(((HUGS))) to you both

How nice of you, thank you. It might not be a bad idea to keep them on hand, though. You never know if you might need them again. I have a medicine chest full of meds from when Puddy was so sick. LOL

pomtzu
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Thank goodness that now you have an explanation for his antics. It's not good that he has it, but at least now, you can move on and treat it.

Prayers for Boo (and you), that all goes well, and that he still has a lot of good time ahead of him. :love:

GILL
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Our toughts and prayers are with you and Boo. We hope that the new meds work out.

kb2yjx
07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Mary, will light a candle for your boy! That is alot of Tapazole!!! I hope he will be OK...

phesina
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Prayers and another candle for Boo, that the meds will be helpful and he will be around for a long time.

Hugs and purrs to you both,
Pat and cats