PDA

View Full Version : Backyard orchard?

M&M's Mommy
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Does anyone have any fruit trees in the backyard? So far, we've planted 2 persimmon trees, a guava, an avocado, a lemon, a jujube, a wax jambu, a cherimoya, a cherry, a longan & a Sapodilla tree. We have room for a couple more, so I'm thinking about some more common fruits like Fuji apple, Asian Pear & White nectarine.. but we'll see.. I may change my mind when we get to the nursery ;)

Planting and caring for them is a good project for hubby & I to do together. I choose the tree, he pays for it, loads it to the car and takes it home.. then he digs the hole, I help him remove the tree and put it in the hole, then I water it & together we watch it grows :). When our trees yield fruits next year, hubby will pick them and I'll eat them :) Fair & square, right? :D

So, who else have fruit trees at home? What do you have?, and do you have any tips about their caring that you can share with me?.

caseysmom
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I planted an apricot tree about five years ago, the fruit looks great this year. I had the first apricot from it this morning, it was great. I also have a fig tree.

aTailOf2Kitties
06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
no trees, but I have a tomato plant that's kinda shabby and a jalepino plant that looks great (4 peppers on it currently)

lvpets2002
06-26-2009, 09:10 AM
:) Girl you are going to have lots of fruit when all of those trees start growing.. I love fruit of any kind.. I will be right there to help eat..:D

M&M's Mommy
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
:) Girl you are going to have lots of fruit when all of those trees start growing.. I love fruit of any kind.. I will be right there to help eat..:D

I hope so :). We do have large families and huge circle of friends, so nothing will ever be wasted.

I'll have about 20 Fuju persimmons & 6 Chocolate Persimmons this first year :). The longan tree has tons of tiny fruits on it, but there are so many factors that may affect the development of young fruits, so it's hard to say how many I'll end up having.. We've already given out tons of lemons to people since it's a mature old tree that produces fruits all year round..

We'll have to wait another 5-6 years for our avocado to give fruits since we planted it from seed & it's now a skinny stick only about 2' tall :), but all other trees we can expect to have some next year. I can't wait :)

I'll take pictures when hubby finishes building the planters.

RICHARD
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a mulberry bush in my yard and I noticed that the neighbors have a fig tree with branches that hang over:D!

I have an avocado tree that will go into the ground when I clear some space.

lvpets2002
06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
:p Richard what happened to your across the fence Orange Tree??

You mean we have to wait 5-6 yrs for the Avocados.. Well thats a Bummer..:D
I have a mulberry bush in my yard and I noticed that the neighbors have a fig tree with branches that hang over:D!