PDA

View Full Version : job eliminated today

Donnaj4962
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I have spent the afternoon crying as I found out today that my position has been eliminated, effective July 10. I have no idea how I am going to survive... I have no extra money. We were all told that hours would be cut, but I had no idea whole positions would be eliminated. I am in shock. I did put out some resumes today, and a has a couple of other possibilities for me. I was not making what I should, and I know there are other better paying positions out there.... it's just such an awful time to be looking for something.::: sigh:::

I feel so alone and the tears won't stop falling. :(

Hellow
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't worry, I am sure that you will find a job, probably one better than the one you was previously at :).
*hugs* (that is the first time I have ever posted that on here... wow)

caseysmom
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I am so sorry, there are still jobs out there my 18 year old landed a pretty decent job right out of high school, don't give up.

catnapper
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh honey, I am so sorry. I can totally relate since my husband has been job hunting for a while. It seems terrifying, even impossible, to find a new job, but one is out there!

In the meantime, I'm assuming you can collect unemployment. My mom was laid off earlier this spring and is going back to school in order to gain new skills for a new job. She's in her 50's and finally going to college like she always wanted to.... for free, thanks to the President's new plans. Perhaps you can look into it too.

RICHARD
06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
DO NOT GIVE UP.
It always gets the darkest before the sun rises.

No one has said the sun won't rise.

Thing are going to work out!

Medusa
06-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Once you're over the shock and the dust settles, you'll figure out what to do and opportunities will present themselves. In the meantime, we'll send up prayers that you'll find the perfect job for you. Keep the faythe. :love:

Donnaj4962
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I have now put out 6 resumes... and I found a couple more sites to look into. I have sent emails to all my contacts to let them know I am looking. I have to be careful, because I am not wanting my folks to get wind of this. Dad is scheduled for surgery Friday and I don't want this to interfere with his recovery.

I think the worst thing is that my boss is also my friend. She was my friend before she became my boss... and we had worked hard to keep work separate from friendship. She told me all of this over the phone ( I was at a workshop and insisted she tell me, so she did) but she has not called me since! I am so disappointed in that. And I am certain she knew this was going to happen at least 2 weeks ago. She had promised all of us that she would keep us all updated as to what was happening, but she didn't. The last all of us knew, our hours were going to be cut. We were all gearing up for that, but now no one has to worry about cut hours... except me! I think she did me wrong, and it makes it worse that she hasn't called me to see how I am doing. Makes me question who I can trust anymore. :confused::rolleyes:

Please keep those prayers coming my way! I need them now more than ever!

And Reggie... I feel honored that I was the first recipient of your cyber hugs! THANKS! You made me smile through the tears.

Catty1
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM
HUGS HUGS HUGS

To put a spin on an old saying:

When God closes one door, He opens another - but it's hell in the hallway! :D

Prayers for a wonderful new position that you totally LOVE.:love::)

joycenalex
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
hugs!!!!

Donnaj4962
06-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, she just called and admitted that she knew it was a possibility, and that she was chicken to tell me. This is classic her.... anything to avoid conflict. She told me I can have until July 10 off with pay if I want it. I told her I won't be in tomorrow, but that I would be in to get some things, maybe Friday and that I would let her know if I would finish any of the projects I am working on. At this point, I don't know. My heart says yes, because I DO believe in the agency, but the ^$*^ in me says, why should I do them any favors? I told her I would sleep on it... who am I kidding, I am not gonna get any sleep tonight!

Keep those prayers coming! Thanks for the support!

carole
06-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I am so sorry this has happened to you, it must be very upsetting and scarey, i do hope this black cloud has a silver lining for you and something better will come along, just know we are thinking of you at this tough time in your life and remember the magic of PT prayers,hang on in there, and take time out to relax a little before you go job hunting, the very best of luck to you.HUGS and :love:

krazyaboutkatz
06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Things will get better. Lots of prayers, positive thoughts, and cyber hugs are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Randi
06-25-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm so sorry, and I know what a shock it must be, but you're doing the right things.... using your network, searching the job sites, sending out resume's. Something WILL turn up! :)

At least you had a chat with your boss, even though she was a chicken about the whole thing. Try to get a good letter of recommendation from her.

Best of luck! :love:

Daisy and Delilah
06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm so sorry. It's a terrible feeling. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but, can you collect unemployment until you find something? Best of luck in finding a great job soon.

I have always believed that everything happens for a reason. You may find this a blessing in disguise. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

catland
06-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi Donna - so sorry for the bad news. I was let go from my job a couple of years ago so I understand how scary things can be.

Take a deep breath -
Now - here are some ideas.

Continue to be nice to your present employer - get a glowing letter of recomendation before you leave.

Apply for unemployment as soon as you are allowed to.

Make a plan for your money now. Pay for the roof over your head, utilites, and food - if you have credit card debt make that a lower priority (its better to have angry creditors than it is to be living out in the street!)

Have two job hunting strategies - the great job that you hope to get, and the job that will at least be a paycheck until you can get that great job that you deserve. For the paycheck only jobs - dumb down your resume a bit so that you don't sound overqualified. Also, try to get that paycheck only job for nights or weekends to give you more job hunting time for that great job.

and remember, you are a PetTalker - there is an incredible energy here for you to draw upon.

Good luck - we're all pulling for you.

DJFyrewolf36
06-26-2009, 01:28 AM
*HUGS* Having been victim of the layoff/elimination monster myself I know how you feel. Keep faith that this will work out into a better opportunity for you!

smokey the elder
06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
One thing that helped me is to let all your contacts and friends, family etc. know you're looking. I got a really neat job once by telling someone I sang with that I had gotten fired over the summer, and they were looking for a temp for a year or two.

Also, depending on your relationship with your credit card banks, you might want to contact them ASAP to let them know. This can be risky and backfire, and I would guess depends on your balance.

Good luck!

gini
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Also, depending on your relationship with your credit card banks, you might want to contact them ASAP to let them know. This can be risky and backfire, and I would guess depends on your balance.

Good luck!

I completely agree with smokey's statement about calling your credit card companies. Insist that they put it in your record that you have called.
If you need to negotiate a smaller than normal payment - tell them and see if they will work with you. The last thing you need right now is bad credit for your future. As long as you make some attempt - it is much better than doing nothing.

In the meantime - you have my prayers that a wonderful job will open up soon and solve your problems.

Don't let yourself get too down - we are all here for you.

Hugs to you.

kuhio98
06-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Well, she just called and admitted that she knew it was a possibility, and that she was chicken to tell me. This is classic her.... anything to avoid conflict. She told me I can have until July 10 off with pay if I want it. I told her I won't be in tomorrow, but that I would be in to get some things, maybe Friday and that I would let her know if I would finish any of the projects I am working on. At this point, I don't know. My heart says yes, because I DO believe in the agency, but the ^$*^ in me says, why should I do them any favors? I told her I would sleep on it... who am I kidding, I am not gonna get any sleep tonight!

I know you're very emotional now, but when that passes, you need to start thinking logically. She may have not told you because she was doing everything possible to make it NOT happen. The final decision may have not been up to her. She may have fought for you but was over ruled. You don't know the whole story, so don't be so quick to blame her. You need to keep her on your side. You need to be professional and complete your duties. Someone there may be watching your conduct and be impressed with a more mature attitude -- they may be the one to put in a good word for you FOR YOUR NEXT JOB. Don't burn bridges. This isn't personal. It's business. I know it feels like a betrayal -- but it's not. It was a decision that someone up above made that probably doesn't even know you. You're not doing them favors by completing your assignments -- you're showing that you're a mature, loyal employee. One that they will be sorry to lose -- and quick to recommend to someone else.

Donnaj4962
07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I haven't posted for a while, but I am still here... at least sporadically! I wanted to updat eevryone on my situation. First, I am not finishing out my time at the office; it was a mutual decision reached with my boss and myself. I am olay with that. My sweetie and I went last night and got all of my personal things from my office and I do feel better about everything now. My ex- boss tells me she will write me a letter of recommendation, and has even given me a couple of job leads.

The best news of all..... I have 2 interviews tomorrow! While they both sounds great, and challenging, one has no benefits. But that would be okay as I would take it to fill in the gap and pay bills! I am enjoying some time off, helping some friends with child care, cleaning the house well, but mostly job hunting! Oh... and Tabby and Sasha are LOVING havine me around all day!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions! I appreciate them all. I will keep you posted. My computer has a virus, so my computer time is limited to library and friend's computers!

3Catcondo
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry you lost your job and I know that has to be tough. I like you don't have any money saved up but my 401k that I would have to use to pay my mortgage should my job be eliminated. But the good part is you seem to be in great spirits and already have some interviews lined up. That is great. Good luck and keep thinking positive. Sending good vibes your way. :)