PDA

View Full Version : E-mail and proper English

catnapper
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Once again, I am sitting here reading an E-mail from a potential adopter. There's not one capitalized proper noun, nor do any sentences begin with a capitol letter. Nor is there any punctuation for that matter (so I guess we can't capitalize the first word of a sentence when no period preceeded the sentence?)

So once again, here I sit, staring at the horrendous E-mail, wondering WHY they think I'm going to let them have a cat when they aren't considerate enough to form proper sentences? My thought is if they don't care enough to write properly, then how well could they care for the needs of my foster?

The same thing happens on Freecycle. I post an offer for somehing, say a bag of Cameron's old clothes. I can't tell you how many people write to me, "interested i can pu 2nite" --- I'm thinking "why shoud I give you consideration for the clothes when you can't give me enough consideration to put your request into proper Enlgish?" I mean, I'm giving you free stuff, and I'm chosing you among other needy people.

Sigh, am I simply old fashioned? Am I alone here? My daughter said she never punctuates, and I told her that a lot of people might not take her seriously because of it. I'm not talking about friends emailing or texting friends, I'm talking of strangers writing strangers about something.... whether its inquiring about a cat from a rescue or a bag of clothes.... shouldn't it include proper English?

lvpets2002
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
:) Well I have to agree.. I am very Old School.. Now with my past Adoptions I always made sure to use proper english.. Because like you I feel it means alot to the person on the other end.. But then again they say don't judge a book by its cover.. Hey I know why don't you just keep both babies & then that will solve the problem.. Right :D

Whisk_Luva
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Once again, I am sitting here reading an E-mail from a potential adopter. There's not one capitalized proper noun, nor do any sentences begin with a capitol letter. Nor is there any punctuation for that matter (so I guess we can't capitalize the first word of a sentence when no period preceeded the sentence?)

So once again, here I sit, staring at the horrendous E-mail, wondering WHY they think I'm going to let them have a cat when they aren't considerate enough to form proper sentences? My thought is if they don't care enough to write properly, then how well could they care for the needs of my foster?

The same thing happens on Freecycle. I post an offer for somehing, say a bag of Cameron's old clothes. I can't tell you how many people write to me, "interested i can pu 2nite" --- I'm thinking "why shoud I give you consideration for the clothes when you can't give me enough consideration to put your request into proper Enlgish?" I mean, I'm giving you free stuff, and I'm chosing you among other needy people.

Sigh, am I simply old fashioned? Am I alone here? My daughter said she never punctuates, and I told her that a lot of people might not take her seriously because of it. I'm not talking about friends emailing or texting friends, I'm talking of strangers writing strangers about something.... whether its inquiring about a cat from a rescue or a bag of clothes.... shouldn't it include proper English?

The way I see it, if you are having a casual conversation with someone through text or instant messaging, then that is different, but a request which should be formal, especially when regarding a big thing like adopting animal should be in proper English.

I am with you in saying that if the people can't be bothered to write in proper English, then surely they can't care for the needs of your foster. Text speak is used when you are trying to type something quickly, and an animal is a serious commitment which should not be rushed into. The potential owner needs to put some thought into what they are saying, and this is not shown by using text speak.

I don't think you are old fashioned at all, I am a teenager and although I used to write in text speak a lot (I can barely even understand it now!), I believe there is a time and a place for it, and writing to a stranger who is trying to help you or do you a favor is not the appropriate time to use it.

caseysmom
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I am 48 but I find my proper use of the english language has declined due to text messaging. I have always had pretty good spelling but I do go back and read posts and think, I know how to spell that??? I don't know if its because I get in a hurry or if its because I am getting Alzheimers:eek:

carole
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but i think you just have to move with the times, i am older than you, and i have just come to accept there is a whole new language out there.

I am not so sure that because a person does not write you a formal email, that they would make bad fur parents, but then when you have nothing else to go by except their email, it probably is the only judgment you can make really.

BTW there is nothing wrong with being old fashioned, if that is how you see it,but i guess people are just going to write as they see fit, and there is nothing much we can do about it, sadly proper English is a dying language it would seem.:(

RICHARD
06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Two cents?

If i feel comfortable enough to do the "lol speak' it's either to be flippant or I feel comfortable enough to do it while I am having 'phun' on PT.

I agree, that even if it is a 'bizness' transaction, the English should be proper and no one whould have to pause and think about what a word means. It's part of a common courtesy that has fallen by the wayside and is irritating.:rolleyes::mad:

Stomp you feet and mark the territory, I have been known to ignore messages like that and when people aske me why?

I only read english-it's my first language.:rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I usually text in full words and sentences (this is why I got a cell phone with a qwerty keyboard). I might miss an apostrophe here and there. Also, I always read my posts over before I hit submit. Or I'll read it after then go back and change anything I messed up on. But I am super anal about that kind of thing. Not that I am perfect with my grammar or spelling. In fact, I've probably made some mistakes in this post. :D

But yeah, when dealing with strangers about ANYTHING I would always use proper words and sentences. I think "we" are just getting lazier and lazier with all the technology we have access too. (See, I wasn't sure if I spelled lazier right so I copied it and put it in an email or word doc to check the spelling.)

finn's mom
06-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't mind it in moderation or in casual conversations via email or text. But, I definitely think that when you're dealing with a more professional situation, or a situation like your's, at least an attempt to sound intelligent is important. It bothers me, and I am fortunate that I don't see much of it at all. Good luck finding a home for your foster, but I'd probably pass on that email just as you're doing. For the record, I rarely even abbreviate in a text message. And, I still don't use "LOL." :)

momcat
06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm a former high school English teacher and this new "language" is nothing short of offensive. I'm still devastated that all these stupid computers didn't blow up at Y2K like they were supposed to. All we're getting as a result of all this technology is a generation of non-functional illiterates who can't think and have no social skills. When I get an e-mail with this text-speak nonsense it gets deleted unread. If a person can't be bothered to express themselves properly I won't waste my time on them.

My friends still get personal, handwritten letters from me and say they love to get them. It's sad that almost nobody writes real letters anymore.

Taz-Zoe, I couldn't agree with you more. The idiots that didn't have the common sense and decency to respond to you in correct and proper English don't deserve your consideration. If they're too lazy to respond correctly, they're too lazy to give a pet the time, care, and attention the animal deserves.

Pinot's Mom
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know how many of you have seen my posts, but I don't do "text speak". I have never sent a text message, although my phone has the capability. I speak in English...and foreign language when the situation warrants, but....
I understand the frustration. I'm a 49 year old English major. I bristle at what is typed on email. Just my opinion....

kitten645
06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I hate texting because of this. I have a hard time reading them but understand the need for brevity. Hence I don't get email on my phone. I only respond to emails when I have a full keyboard in front of me.

"I'm not talking about friends emailing or texting friends, I'm talking of strangers writing strangers about something.... whether its inquiring about a cat from a rescue or a bag of clothes.... shouldn't it include proper English? "

I respect my friends enough to use proper English when responding to their emails. If I can't understand the message easily, I delete it. Don't care who it's from but ESPECIALLY from strangers.
Claudia

Hellow
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I prefer to type things in proper English, but I have gotten so used to AOLbonics (guess where the IM/text speak came from... AOL) that I barely even notice it anymore.

EDIT: That is, unless the person is takling liek dis wher it is 2 hrd 2 understnd 4 meh liekings.

K9karen
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
. It's sad that almost nobody writes real letters anymore.

I do, esp. (kidding :p) thank you letters. I refuse to get rid of the IBM electric typewriter from my dad's office, even though it hasn't been used in years.

I guess I'm just an old fart. :(

Twisterdog
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
What concerns me the most about this topic is not the poorly written email or message board per se, but more so the lack of the ability to perceive the difference between social situations.

If I send a text to my best friend that says, "C U in 5", that's alright. She knows I mean "See you in five minutes", and it is very informal.

However, I am not only capable of conversing in proper English, but I know when it is only appropriate to do so. I have a firm grasp of the informality vs. formality of various situations.

I honestly don't think a lot of people do, and that's rather frightening.

I have friends who are teachers who say high school students turn in paper in English class with LOL speak freely interspersed, and can't understand why they lost points. Seriously? Sadly, yes.

catnapper
06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Whew!

In regards to the email.... I actually emailed her back and told her my kittens had to go as a set. That nipped that one in the bud! :p Then I wished her luck in her search. I got THREE additional emails from her within the span of an hour.... this woman is waaaaayyyyy too desperate for a kitten. I emailed my concerns to the rescue and everyone else agrees with me that she sounds a bit off-kilter. I should know by now to trust my instincts in regards to things. If I think it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then I need to trust that it is a duck. :)

catnapper
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I have friends who are teachers who say high school students turn in paper in English class with LOL speak freely interspersed, and can't understand why they lost points. Seriously? Sadly, yes.
Yes, I've seen that too. My own daughter tried to hand a paper in like that a couple years ago. She was typing so fast and was in a rush to get it out of the way that she didn't realize what she put in the paper :eek: Thankfully, she does know it doesn't belong in an essay, AND she's wise enough to ask someone to proof read. Sadly, not a lot of kids do understand the difference.

Randi
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I can understand why close friends use these abbreviations in text messages on a cell phone, or in an IM chat if they’re in a hurry, but in my opinion, it doesn’t belong in an e-mail!
So I agree with this:

If I send a text to my best friend that says, "C U in 5", that's alright. She knows I mean "See you in five minutes", and it is very informal.However, I do believe that the proper use of the English language is declining due to text messaging. You can see it in almost every newspaper you open. I guess some kids think it is smart.... “look at me, I know how to do this!” - but what they are telling about themselves is, that they’re not capable of typing very fast, or how to spell a word right.

I enjoy reading a well written text with proper spelling, that even contain words I didn’t know existed. I’m learning from that. :)

When it comes to English, I’m still learning new words every day and I enjoy communicating with people who have a bigger vocabulary more, than someone who don’t.

Kirsten
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, guess I'm also old fashioned when it comes to this. Even though I understand why people use these abbreviations in cell phone messages or instant messages, I just cannot bring myself to do that. Same goes for not using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, or in nouns.

Another thing I've noticed is a severe deterioration of people's orthographical skills; at least here in Germany. You wouldn't believe how many spelling or grammatical errors you'll find even in official letters! Also, there seem to be more kids these days with dyslexia or speech disorders than there used to be in earlier times. I'm surprised how many kids go to see a speech therapist these days! My personal opinion is that we wouldn't have all these problems if parents would encourage their kids to read a book instead of dumping them in front of the tv/nintendo/pc...

Kirsten

Cataholic
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
What concerns me the most about this topic is not the poorly written email or message board per se, but more so the lack of the ability to perceive the difference between social situations.

That is exactly how I see it. I joke around with people a lot. I said to my friend the other day, when I beat her into work the first time in ten years, "'bout time you got your a** in here". Would I say that to someone that I just met, when they showed up late at work? Of course not. I know the difference, I know my audience.

The potential adopter did not know her audience. She didn't know diddly squat about you. She did not put her best foot forward, and you made a judgment call based on the ONLY piece of evidence you had- her email. Kind of like what we were talking about in the tatoo thread. People make snap judgments all day long and twice on Sunday. Think if you can afford that or not.

I wouldn't adopt to her, and I probably wouldn't give my child's clothing away to people that didn't care enough to put their best foot forward.

pomtzu
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm with the oldies here, as well I should be, in expressing my displeasure at where proper communication is going. I don't text, but I find nothing wrong with "text talk" among friends. However, in a business situation of any kind, or correspondence with a stranger, it is never appropriate or acceptable.
I throw in an occasional LOL here on PT, or in an email with friends or relatives, but that's about the extent of it. We live in a fast-paced world now, but that is no excuse for anyone to be so lazy, that they can't take the time to spell out in "real words", what they want to say.

RedHedd
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Whew!

In regards to the email.... I actually emailed her back and told her my kittens had to go as a set. That nipped that one in the bud! :p Then I wished her luck in her search. I got THREE additional emails from her within the span of an hour.... this woman is waaaaayyyyy too desperate for a kitten. I emailed my concerns to the rescue and everyone else agrees with me that she sounds a bit off-kilter. I should know by now to trust my instincts in regards to things. If I think it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then I need to trust that it is a duck. :)

Yup - a clueless duck who can't take the time nor care to send a properly punctuated communication when it comes to something serious like adopting a kitten.

I'm one who will delete or not respond to poorly punctuated, spelled or grammatically incorrect missives.

As for spell check, IEspell is a great little add-on that I use to spell check postings on forums like this one. Actually Pet Talk now has spell check so I don't even have to use MY iEspell. Thanks, Karen & Paul!

carole
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I think you have made the right call in this situation,good for you, and also for letting the shelters know as well, i guess if she really wants a kitten though, she will find one easily enough,let us just hope and pray she will be a decent pet owner, you have to think if one can not even write with some intelligence then perhaps they are not clued up enough to know how to take care of a kitten.

I must admit when i first started on the internet in chat rooms, it was very acceptable to abbreviate with C U soon etc, and i thought when i came to PT it was the thing to do, i soon knew different and respected that 100 per cent, but i was new to it all, and i now know when and when not to use it.

Sadly it is a sign of the times,but who say's we have to embrace it all.

Moesha
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I do use the text abbreviations when texting, never in E-mail. I actually can't stand doing it. The reason I do use it though is because of the limit of characters you can send via a text message. If I am sending to other Verizon customers, they will adjust my text size. If I am sending a message to someone who uses a cellular service other than Verizon, I only have 160 characters that I can send. Sometimes they will send it in two messages, and sometimes they won't. I use as many shortcuts as possible to get my message across in one text.