PDA

View Full Version : Human roundworm for cats Help please :(

SammyCat
06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
My cat has round worms and I gave her meds for it from the vet. I think I may have worms myself since, my bottom is itching like crazy.

The vet said they can pass the worms to humans. I've been researching what kinds of meds are out there to treat human worms. There is this med called VERMOX® Mebendazole 500 mg tablets, it says it gets rid of: Ascaris lumbricoides (large roundworm).

The problem is, the cat has Toxocara cati and Toxocara leonina.

Should that mean that if a human is infected with worms from the cat, it would be the same species of worms? Cause I dont understand how I can get rid of my worms if there are only meds for large roundworm Ascaris lumbricoides.

Please help, I want to get rid of them today

moosmom
06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Sammycat,

You need to see a doctor. He can either confirm or rule out human worms. If in fact you DO have some kind of worm, I'm sure they can give you some kind of medicine to rid them.

Good luck!!

catmandu
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
That must be terrible being infected with worms, and we pray that your doctor can get rid of them ASAP!!!

carole
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
At least go talk to your pharmacist about it,or go see a doctor, good luck , hope you get rid of them and soon.

kb2yjx
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
This is a DEFINITE visit to the DOCTOR!!! Good luck!!!

momcat
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Get yourself to a doctor immediately if not sooner!

Catlady711
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM
If you had spent the time google-ing roundworm infection in humans, or symptoms, instead of going straight to the medications and self diagnosis you'd realize how serious roundworm infections in humans can be and that an itchy bottom is not on the list.

From the CDC (Centers for Disease Control)
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxocara/factsht_toxocara.htm

Toxocariasis is a zoonotic (animal to human) infection caused by the parasitic roundworms commonly found in the intestine of dogs (Toxocara canis) and cats (T. cati).

There are two major forms of toxocariasis:

1) Ocular larva migrans (OLM):

Toxocara infections can cause OLM, an eye disease that can cause blindness. OLM occurs when a microscopic worm enters the eye; it may cause inflammation and formation of a scar on the retina. Each year more than 700 people infected with Toxocara experience permanent partial loss of vision.

2) Visceral larva migrans (VLM):

Heavier, or repeated Toxocara infections, while rare, can cause VLM, a disease that causes swelling of the body’s organs or central nervous system. Symptoms of VLM, which are caused by the movement of the worms through the body, include fever, coughing, asthma, or pneumonia.

However Pinworms (a different type of roundworm than cats/dogs get) can cause an itchy behind.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/pinworm/factsht_pinworm.htm

Never, EVER use online medication sites as a substitute for an actual visit with your doctor. The chances of mis-diagnosing yourself or mis-dosing yourself with medication is very high.

I seriously wonder how many people, because of Google-ing their health problems, have been either;

1) scared to death they have something serious when they don't
OR
2) self treat/miss-self diagnose online causing more harm than good. :rolleyes:

Take everyone's good advice here...VISIT YOUR DOCTOR!