PDA

View Full Version : Side effects of anesthesia?

Taz_Zoee
06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Taggart had a foxtail removed from his nose on Friday afternoon. Some time between Friday when he got home and Saturday morning he had diarrhea. Sunday morning he had a normal stool (I watched) but then stayed in the position like he was still trying to go.
Last night he had an accident in the house...diarrhea. But its only a small amount. Then he threw up his dinner.
In the middle of the night (about 3am to be exact) I let him out and he had both again. At 4:30 he began to throw up in his crate so I quicky let him out but he only made it to the rug right by the door. Then he went out and threw up again. :(
I don't know how he has done since I left this morning at about 6:15. But could this be an effect of the anesthesia on Friday? It seems like so long after to me.
I called the vet and of course they wanted us to bring him in. I made the appointment but may cancel it after I talk to Bruce. He already knows not to feed him breakfast this morning. And I plan on feeding him rice and cottage cheese tonight and gradually go back to his food.

I'm also concerned because he eats wood all the time. When I was out checking his poo for signs of blood (at 3am) I found other "piles" and they had so much wood in them.
We will probably not take him to the vet unless he is extremely dehydrated or anything else is severely wrong.
But does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks!

beeniesmom
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
The reactions seem pretty normal to me.
Frankie had the same poop thing for a few days after his leg surgery. The anastesia makes them nauseous too for a bit. Keep an eye on him though.

Taz_Zoee
06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Ok, good. Thank you so much for the response.
I figured he'd be fine, but with this being his first time (at least with me) I was just extra worried.
Bruce said I'm freaking out too much. But I can't help it! I guess it's just all the extra stress going on right now, it's not helping my nerves.
Thanks again for the reassurance. :D

caseysmom
06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Casey is pretty sensitive and never had those reactions. Did they give him antibiotics? I am sure he will be fine just give him a few days.

lvpets2002
06-22-2009, 12:50 PM
:eek: Wood == I have never heard of a dog eating wood.. Is this normal?? Well Get Better Soon Taggart.. Hope all is better real soon..

Taz_Zoee
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Casey is pretty sensitive and never had those reactions. Did they give him antibiotics? I am sure he will be fine just give him a few days.
I believe they only gave him pain meds. I'm not giving him anything at home. :confused:

:eek: Wood == I have never heard of a dog eating wood.. Is this normal?? Well Get Better Soon Taggart.. Hope all is better real soon..
I think I've read that other people have (or know someone that has) a dog that eats wood. I don't like it, but I'm not sure how to stop him of this. Our backyard is full of sticks and things. And I'm not there all the time to make him stop. Bruce works from home so he can't monitor it either. I'm just still hoping he'll outgrow it. I've got tons of toys outside for him but he prefers wood. Goofy boy.

Thank you for the responses. :D

caseysmom
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
My dogs eat bark because our kitty poops in the bark, it scares the heck out of me too.

caseysmom
06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
How is taggart tonight?

Taz_Zoee
06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Bruce said he is still trying to potty but nothings happening. We figure because there is nothing in him to come out. I gave him rice and cottage cheese tonight. He was outside for a while, but I wasn't watching him. At least he didn't go potty in the house. That's improvement for me. I don't think he's thrown up since this morning either.

Thanks for asking! :D

kokopup
06-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I have had experience with anesthesia both for myself and Koko and it can definately make you sick. It can mess up the the bowels because the normal peristaltic action is messed up by anesthesia so even though you have the urge you can't go normally for a day or so. All will return to normal in no time.

Koko also eats wood when she can. I catch her chewing on sticks all the time. When she was a puppy I had to watch her like a hawk because she ate rocks(like gravel). Luckily she out grew the rock thing.