PDA

View Full Version : DRAMA in our pond: all large (and expensive) fishes died!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-22-2009, 06:17 AM
Yesterday will always be on our mind as POND-DRAMA-day!!
This is what happened...........

Because of a huge blunder, all our fishes are dead or dying...!My hubby added a product to the water to fight the "wire algae". On the packing was also written that it was good to disinfect the gills of all fishes. So he assumed that this product was harmless for them.... .He was so satisfied because if this that he forgot that he already added another product to the water 1 week ago, something that only mentioned it would fight the algae!! Result: the product did indeed fight the algae, but it also lowered the oxygen-level of the pound enormously:eek:
By the time that we noticed that a few koi's came to the surface because they were gasping for breath, the oxygen level had dropped so dramatically that it was desastrous for all fishes... .
We made the double fountain sprinkle continuously all day and night. Bernard also emptied the water to 1/3, and then refilled the pound with fresh oxygen-rich water. He put several fishes in our bath and stayed up all night to hold them (they turned on their side all the time) while he put on the whirlpool. No use, in the morning these fishes were dead too.

On the attached pics you can see some gasping for air, then dead fish in a plastic tank, and the dead sturgeon in our bad. You can see how huge that sturgeon was!

Result: Have died already: 3 fantastic and huge sturgeons (all more than 1 meter!!), 5 huge Japanese koi, several goldfishes and "winde" (no translation known).
Together they are worth a small fortune!!
We are so devastated. Bernard always took such good care of our pond and was so proud with his big healthy fishes!!
TERRIBLE.......
Today Bernard had to go to Amsterdam all day (by express-train->2 hours). I know he left reluctantly... !

I feel so terrible and down!! Some of these fishes are her since nearly 8 years ago, so we got really attached to them. These koi's and sturgeons are unpayable now, because of their size......

Who knows how many more dead fishes we will find in the days yet to come :eek: :(

Medusa
06-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Oh my, how sad! I'm so sorry! :love:

jenluckenbach
06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh my, I feel so bad for you :( Accidents happen, but I imagine the guilt will last a long time. RIP fishes. :(

4 Dog Mother
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh, how terribly sad! I just have gold fish in my small pond but I hate it when any of them die. About two years ago, a couple of my original ones that were about 7 years old died. It was so sad to see something die like that. I also started 2 very small koi years ago but when they got to be about 18 inches long or so I gave them to my sister because they were knocking over plants to eat the roots, eating the roots off my floating plants and in general creating all kind of havoc. She had them for a couple of years until one died when someone sent off a firework that landed in her pond and killed several fish and then about a year later the other one died.

Knowing how much fish that size cost would give me heart failure as well as just knowing that they were gone. But as was said, mistakes happen and you have to be able to forgive yourself. I hope your husband is able to do that! It would take a few years to get the pond back to normal fish size wise but you could buy some really young ones - I was surprised at how fast they grew actually.

pomtzu
06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
OMG - how tragic. I know that koi can be very valuable, and not only did you suffer a monetary loss, but a sentimental loss as well. I feel so bad for you......:( Hopefully the remaining fish will survive.

gini
06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Lut, what a terrible event for you and your husband. I am so sorry.

Pinot's Mom
06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I am so sorry - but, as was already posted, accidents do happen. Don't beat yourselves up too much.

kokopup
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I had a similar situation where the fish were coming to the top mouths open screaming for air. My water fall pump had failed and when the sun went down the oxygen level dropped. I had to put an air pump in my filter and run it around the clock for several days to get the pond back in balance.

I hope your loss is limited to the fish already affected. I can imagine how you feel because every fish has a name and personality. I know my koi did anyway. I never had sturgeon but had dwarf catfish that helped keep the bottom clean.

Good luck.

Kirsten
06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh no!!! :( Lut, I'm so sorry!!! :( You must feel terrible, especially Bernard. I'm so sorry for him, too because he was so proud of his fishes and he must feel so bad now! But like others have said, accidents happen sometimes, no matter how careful we are.

I really hope the remaining fishies will survive!!

R.I.P. fishies!

BTW, I didn't have the heart to look at the pics of the dying fishies... :o

Kirsten

caseysmom
06-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I am so sorry Lut, please tell Bernard it was a terrible accident and not his fault.

phesina
06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh, that's so sad. I'm so very sorry. My deepest sympathy, Lut, to you and your whole family. Such a tragic accident. Prayers that the other fish will survive and be healthy.

As others have been saying, accidents do happen, no matter how careful we do our best to be. We and you know that you would never, EVER deliberately harm any of your fishies or any other live creature in your care. Please do not feel guilty but just grieve the sudden loss of your beautiful fish and rejoice in your lovely memories of them.

I bet right now they are swimming in the brook UNDER the Rainbow Bridge, as the kitties and other critters all look down at them and welcome them!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~ and God bless,
Pat and kitties

lizbud
06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh , I am so sorry to read this.:(:( I know how much they meant to you both. It was a honest mistake & could have happened to anyone.

lvpets2002
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
:( Oh No that is so Sad.. I know Benard was just doing his best.. RIP wittle Fishsss.. Will you replace them all??

Genny
06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry about your fish. What kind was that one in the last pic? He looks different that th rest??

chocolatepuppy
06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm so sorry Lut. I hope all of them don't die.:(

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Will you replace them all??

I'm afraid we will have to wait a very long time untill the water in the pound is in balance again! Right now, adding niw fishes, would be like murder ......

What kind was that one in the last pic? He looks different to the rest??

That is one of our 3 sturgeons! He was 47 inches (1m40) long!!

luckies4me
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. That is terrible news. I know they can cost a lot of money to care for, not to mention having some for so long. I am attached to just the small fish I own. I can't imagine losing so many at once. Again, I am very sorry. :(