PDA

View Full Version : Wood pile Kittens

kaylabee
06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
First of all I would like to introduce myself, as I'm new to this site as of 5 minutes ago. My name's Kayla and I live in Ontario, Canada. I have 2 kittens - tabby & persian mix, and 2 Jack Russells.

About a month ago, early in the morning I went outside for a smoke, and heard some strange squeaking noises from my neighbor's woodpile. He has stacks and stacks of wood outside of his house, as he sells them. So I went over to take a look, being an animal lover (i had just rescued a baby squirrel a couple days earlier) We live in the country, and I am always finding little animals that need help, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect! To my surprise, I was greeted by three little furballs, who looked like they had just came out of their little den in the wood pile, their eyes were open but they sort of waddled instead of walked, and fell over a lot. I fell in love instantly.

With further inspection of the area, I found another kitten huddled up in their den.. I cried when I saw him, I thought he was dead. I pulled him up onto my lap, and checked for a pulse. I had tears in my eyes, but was so excited that he was still alive! The other kittens were very loud and obviously hungry, so I brought them into my house and fed them soggy cat food (left over from my late cat .. i forgot to get rid of her food, I knew I'd need it some day ! lol) I was in charge of looking after the kittens all night, as Im the only one in my house that doesn't have a job or school at the moment.

Well, it was hard work that's for sure, but it was a night I'll never forget. Although I only had 4 of them in my care for one night, I didn't get any sleep. I didn't mind though, as for the short time that they did sleep they were cuddled right up to me. The runt of the litter ( the one that was almost dead when we found him) had to be force fed. Unlike his 3 siblings, who wouldn't stop eating until I took it away from them, this little one refused to open his mouth. I managed to feed him, and by the next day he had started lapping it up from the bowl like the other ones, and even started to walk a little bit! We took two of them into the Humane Society first thing in the morning. The runt, who needed more help than I could provide for him, and one of his sisters, who had an abcess on her neck.

The other two kittens are still here with me, but I'm sad to say that their brother and sister didn't make it .. I ended up volunteering at the Humane Society, and found out that the runt had died, and his sister had to be put down for 'medical' reasons. I hope there was good reason for this, as they had told me that she would be fine and just needed anti-biotics. But anyways, I know that they are both in a better place now with no one forcing food into their mouths and no pain. I am just glad that I provided them one night of care and love, and I hope that they thought of me during their last moments on earth.. I did everything for them that I could.

Abby and Chance (the kittens I kept) are doing very well, growing like weeds! Only a couple weeks ago I could fit one of them in the palm of my hand, now it's getting hard to pick them up with one hand! They fight a bit too much (Chance is a bully), but they are sweet and Abby is very well-tempered, and cuddly. They are the best kittens I could ever hope for, and I'll never forget their brother and sister. RIP little ones ! <3

I do have photos of all 4 kittens, but I haven't figured out how to upload them yet. But here I have some of Abby and Chance. The other 2 kittens look exactly like Abby (the grey one).

Abby, not long after we found them.
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4408/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1687997_2914158.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4408/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1688127_6524007.jpg

Abby, a week or so later. With Chance sitting on her.
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1727729_2851074.jpg

Chance!
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1727730_2516272.jpg

Ready to pounce..
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1727731_7254368.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/157/32/516211036/n516211036_1727732_5963753.jpg

happylabs
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi. That is wonderful that you could save 2. Sometimes it is just better off to help nature take its course with the ones that are weak. They are just so dear. :love: :)

Thanks for sharing your story.

BTW, what happened to the mamma of the baby kitties?

kaylabee
06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Oh yes, I forgot to write that !
Both parents are AWOL. I had seen the father all the time, prowling around our back yard, and he has disappeared since a few days before I found the kittens. To this day, we have been keeping an eye out for the mother who hasn't shown up at all. The mother hadn't been to the kittens for days when we found them, so I'm still wondering what happened to her. Judging by the look of the kittens, or Abby atleast (Chance is the only one that looks like his dad), the mother is a beautiful gray and white longhaired cat, possibly persian. So I can't really see it being a stray .. I'm trying to find the owner, if it has one, to see if I can convince them to get their cat fixed. The same cat has kittens in my neighbor's yard/garage every year ! He was also planning on drowning them, so I'm glad I arrived just in time. :love:

blue
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Its good you found them even though only the 2 you have survived, you tried.

Judging from the cases behind Chance I would have named him/her Milwaukee.

happylabs
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh yes, I forgot to write that !
Both parents are AWOL. I had seen the father all the time, prowling around our back yard, and he has disappeared since a few days before I found the kittens. To this day, we have been keeping an eye out for the mother who hasn't shown up at all. The mother hadn't been to the kittens for days when we found them, so I'm still wondering what happened to her. Judging by the look of the kittens, or Abby atleast (Chance is the only one that looks like his dad), the mother is a beautiful gray and white longhaired cat, possibly persian. So I can't really see it being a stray .. I'm trying to find the owner, if it has one, to see if I can convince them to get their cat fixed. The same cat has kittens in my neighbor's yard/garage every year ! He was also planning on drowning them, so I'm glad I arrived just in time. :love:

It is amazing how the kittens can look nothing like either parents. Look at my signature graphic. Mamma is the mom of Tinker and Mack. The 3 of them look nothing alike! I have also heard that the mom can be impregnated by several males at the same time. :eek:

carole
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome to PT, your story brought tears to my eyes, and thank you for looking out for these wee one's, it is people like you who really make a difference in this world, the babies are just gorgeous, so sad the other's did not make it, but you tried your best, be proud of who you are and what you have done, i hope you continue to be part of PT and find out just what a wonderful place this is.:):love:

Medusa
06-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! We're always happy to have another animal lover join us. Your story is very touching and your kittens are just adorable! I do hope that you're able to find the parents and have them altered. I sure wouldn't want your neighbor to drown any kittens. :mad: You've done a great job and I wish you many long and happy years w/your furkids. :)

Pinot's Mom
06-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Those pictures are too much! They are precious! Give those little ones a gentle hug for me, and one for yourself as well for being such a wonderful rescuer! You can't feel badly for the other two - if you hadn't found them, they wouldn't have known any love at all, and they at least had that time with you. Thank you for that!

Good luck, welcome, and keep us posted!

kb2yjx
06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
You did a good thing!!! And Welcome Aboard!!!!The babes are darling!!!!

catmandu
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Thank God that you saved those Two Little Wonder Kittens, and you certainly did your best with those Two Angels.:)
They are already in Heaven with the Animal Angel Army and are Eternal Kittens Furrever , and are already part of an Animal Angel extended Family, I hear that Leonardo has been assigned to be thier mentor.:love:
A job that Leonardoo will do with such love.:love:
Those are such Little Dears and its good to know that they have a home now, and will never be hungree or cold again.
God Bless You for helping them.
:love::love::love::love:

lvpets2002
06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
:love: Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pics.. Your babies are such Sweetie Cutie Pies..

astrid
06-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi Kayla!! What a beautiful story, thank you for saving those two gorgeous babies and for doing your best with the other two... and the baby squirrel.. you are such a wonderful person!!! God bless you!!

Please keep posting, we want to know more about your babies, how they do and watch them grow... they are adorable!!

Welcome aboard!! Big hugs from Guatemala, Central America :love:

smokey the elder
06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! You did great! Abby is a little fuzzball; I think she's going to end up with long hair.

GILL
06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
THANK YOUat lest you tried.
Those little fur balls are so cute and a BIG WELCOME from the CREW

meetthemews
06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Welcome, your new kitties are adorable. Its too bad about their siblings:(

Barbara
06-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Welcome and thankyou for saving these two. Kittens are so fragile- and the other sister may have had more infection than could first be seen.
But these definitely are on an excellent way :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Abby doesn't seem too terribly unhappy about her brother's behavior!

How adorable and how wonderful you are to save them!

krazyaboutkatz
06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome to PT!!!:D I'm so glad that you could save these kittens. They sure are cutie pies.:)

momcat
06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome to PT and bless you for helping these poor babies. Because of you, the two that didn't make it knew what it means to be loved and cared for.
They sure are a couple of cuties! Just one thing, the next time you share their pictures with us, be sure to post a "cuteness overload warning". It's kind of a tradition here when adorable pictures are posted.
Please come back soon and keep us updated on how your babies are doing?