PDA

View Full Version : a tornado watch for western Pa.

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
A severe tornado watch has been issued for western Pa. and the Pittsburgh area. Some severe weather is in extreme eastern Ohio heading east. This watch will be on until 10:00 tonight. Prayers appreiated.

moosmom
06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
You got my prayers, Dude. But will ya keep the damn rain in PA please??? I'd like a nice weekend for father's day and the cemetery can get a bit "mushy" when it rains.

chocolatepuppy
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
David, we've not had bad storms at his point here in eastern Ohio. We have had more than enough rain though and still pouring now.:(

Medusa
06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
We just had a bad storm a little while ago and it's getting ready to hit again. I can hear the thunder rumbling. Be safe, David.

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
David, we've not had bad storms at his point here in eastern Ohio. We have had more than enough rain though and still pouring now.:(

Right now it's a torrential downpour in Pittsburgh with thunder and and lightning, but so far no high winds (yet).

Karen
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Prayers on the way.

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Just a few miles east of me there is an area under a tornado warning until 7:30 pm. They're getting heavy rain, pea-sized hail, numerous lightning strikes and some flash flooding.

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Prayers on the way.

Thanks, Karen. I'm alright here so far, but there's still plenty of severe weather here.

Hellow
06-17-2009, 06:41 PM
We are under a Severe Thunderstorm watch until 11PM tonight.

Don't worry too much about tornadoes in your area, they rarely strike that far up the coast. Although, if you do hear the tornado sirens go off, take shelter right then.

chocolatepuppy
06-17-2009, 06:59 PM
We are under a Severe Thunderstorm watch until 11PM tonight.

Don't worry too much about tornadoes in your area, they rarely strike that far up the coast. Although, if you do hear the tornado sirens go off, take shelter right then.

Reggie, unfortunately, we DO get tornadoes in our area. (Ohio/PA)

happylabs
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
A severe tornado watch has been issued for western Pa. and the Pittsburgh area. Some severe weather is in extreme eastern Ohio heading east. This watch will be on until 10:00 tonight. Prayers appreiated.

A tornado "watch" is just to let folks know to be on the lookout for a possible tornado in the area whereas a "Tornado Warning" is a notification that a tornado has been seen or picked up by radar. Just be prepared to go to the basement if needed.

In 1985 I lived in Central Pennsylvania . We had a tornado hit 1/4 of a mile from our house. We lived in a trailer at the time with no basement. I can remember sitting in the middle of the trailer on the floor with the two dogs we had at the time, listening to the wind and rain. We had hail the size of golf balls but no real damage to our trailer. The following morning we found out how close the tornado came to our house.

I'll say a prayer for ya but I am sure all will be fine.

chocolatepuppy
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
A tornado "watch" is just to let folks know to be on the lookout for a possible tornado in the area whereas a "Tornado Warning" is a notification that a tornado has been seen or picked up by radar. Just be prepared to go to the basement if needed.

In 1985 I lived in Central Pennsylvania . We had a tornado hit 1/4 of a mile from our house. We lived in a trailer at the time with no basement. I can remember sitting in the middle of the trailer on the floor with the two dogs we had at the time, listening to the wind and rain. We had hail the size of golf balls but no real damage to our trailer. The following morning we found out how close the tornado came to our house.

I'll say a prayer for ya but I am sure all will be fine.

A tornado watch is however, one step away from a warning. Something to take very seriously. I hear ya about 1985...
http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/swio/pages/content/1985_tornadoes.htm

happylabs
06-17-2009, 07:33 PM
A tornado watch is however, one step away from a warning. Something to take very seriously. I hear ya about 1985...
http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/swio/pages/content/1985_tornadoes.htm

We get so many watches up here in Pennsylvania it is tough for me to get worked up about them. I used to fret and fret but realized if I was prepared I would be fine.

chocolatepuppy
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
We get so many watches up here in Pennsylvania it is tough for me to get worked up about them. I used to fret and fret but realized if I was prepared I would be fine.

I agree with you there, they do throw out a lot of watches/warnings so that you tend to not take them seriously. My rule of thumb, if it gets windy, the furkids and I head for the basement, just in case.

carole
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Please keep my big bro safe and all his furbabies, family and friends, i hope you are ok David, i am thinking of you, all paws and fingers crossed the storm will be over soon without too much damage, or loss to anyone, take care.:love:

Cinder & Smoke
06-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Don't worry too much about tornadoes in your area,
they rarely strike that far up the coast.

:confused:

Check a map ...

Pittsburgh isn't "on the coast" ...

Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania are on the Eastern End of "Tornado Alley"!

The Ranch has been under a Tornado Watch and Flood Warnings for
most of the evening.
It rained & blew enough to make the roof leak! :mad: :(

We DO *worry* about Tornados!

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Please keep my big bro safe and all his furbabies, family and friends, i hope you are ok David, i am thinking of you, all paws and fingers crossed the storm will be over soon without too much damage, or loss to anyone, take care.:love:

Thanks, Sis for your concern. Marigold and I are okay ( the thunder and lightning scared poor Marigold),but we're doing good. Nothing right now except a steady rain, but there might be more on the way. No damage in my area, but some big branches are down. It was pretty scary!

davidpizzica
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM

Check a map ...

Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania are on the Eastern End of "Tornado Alley"!

most of the evening.

Amen to that, Phred!

Cinder & Smoke
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
... they do throw out a lot of watches/warnings so that
you tend to not take them seriously.

My rule of thumb,
if it gets windy, the furkids and I head for the basement, just in case.

*Waiting* till it gets "windy" can be a mistake ...

I survived the 1985 Newton Falls - Nilles - Hubbard F5 Tornado by being
about 6 miles south of the storm path - standing outside the Shop and
keeping a 'sharp eye' on the western sky. I was expecting to 'hear' the storm
if it happened ... the ole "Freight Train" everyone says they hear ...

No train that night ... from dead calm and not a sound to jet black sky,
torrential rain, knock-me-over wind gusts, and lights OUT took about
60 seconds - and I was *watching* for it! :eek:

The FurKid was already down in the basement - by the time I got to the basement door
I was soaked and had fallen down twice.

Since then, I've spent many a 'Watch' and 'Warning' sitting in a basement
with my little collection of Furry Kids gathered at my side.

Hellow
06-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Check a map ...

most of the evening.

I am probably biased about tornadoes in PA, I have never been there personally.

Using the terms "Up the coast" or "Down the coast" is a general term used to describe the area around where a place is. Like, I live farther down the coast than PA. So, sorry for the confusion.

In other news, we just got rammed by a severe thunderstorm. At 12:40AM. Yay.

chocolatepuppy
06-18-2009, 05:04 AM

Phred, if the word 'tornado' is mentioned, watch or warning, we're in the basement. What I meant by this..

if it gets windy, the furkids and I head for the basement, just in case.
Any storm, warning or not, if the wind picks up, we head to the basement. As for the 1985 tornado, I just missed it as we lived in FL. at the time and were moving back, headed out, on June 1. Did see the destruction though, a couple days later.

David, good to hear you did ok.

Medusa
06-18-2009, 06:35 AM
I thought for sure a tornado was headed our way last night. The rain and wind were severe and I ran around the house closing windows because rain was coming in. I looked outside and saw the rain "rolling" off my roof. That's the only way I know how to explain it. It was odd. The wind sounded totally different from how it's sounded before and just as I was gathering up the Fur Posse to go to the basement, it stopped. Ohio has had many tornadoes, even my little town and Pittsburgh, PA, too. Glad that you're ok, David. My family still lives there, too, what's left of it, that is. :)

pomtzu
06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
We get warnings and watches very frequently anymore, compared to how it used to be, but rarely does one touch down. We had a wild storm last week that appears to have been a small tornado, hit about a half mile down the road from here. Huge old trees just ripped right out of the ground for a stretch of 5 houses, and a tree thru the roof of a mobile home right past that. I'm pretty much protected with woods on all sides, whereas those places are right by open farmland. It rained and blew so hard, that it looked like it was blowing snow, and the wind just howled like in a blizzard or hurricane. I only lost a limb from one of the big maples, and it tossed the gas grill around. Weather like that can be pretty darn scary, but it pales in comparison to what storms in the Tornado Alley do.

davidpizzica
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM

I survived the 1985 Newton Falls - Nilles - Hubbard F5 Tornado by being
about 6 miles south of the storm path - standing outside the Shop and
keeping a 'sharp eye' on the western sky. I was expecting to 'hear' the storm
if it happened ... the ole "Freight Train" everyone says they hear ...

No train that night ... from dead calm and not a sound to jet black sky,
torrential rain, knock-me-over wind gusts, and lights OUT took about
60 seconds - and I was *watching* for it! :eek:

The FurKid was already down in the basement - by the time I got to the basement door
I was soaked and had fallen down twice.

Since then, I've spent many a 'Watch' and 'Warning' sitting in a basement
with my little collection of Furry Kids gathered at my side.

Phred, there was a tornado sighting in Monroeville last night which made me a little nervous since it's really close to Penn hills. It didn't touch down, though.

Moesha
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Just a little information from my obsession with The Weather Channel and my Storm Spotter course. A watch means that conditions could become favorable for a severe storm or tornado (depending on what the watch is). A tornado warning for instance means that Doppler radar has indications of wind conditions indicating rotation. Radar can only relate what is happening in the clouds. So a tornado warning does not mean that a tornado is on the ground. It just means that there the radar indications rotation in the atmosphere. Sometimes you can see this rotation. It is called a funnel cloud. It is technically not a tornado unless it touches the ground. That's where storm spotters come into play. There are certain things to look for to indicate that the funnel cloud has touched down and become a tornado. For instance, as a storm spotter I can call into the weather service and say that I see a rotating wall cloud or a funnel cloud, but I cannot call in and say I see a tornado unless I see debris from the funnel cloud on the ground.

davidpizzica
06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
There's another round of severe weather coming towards the western Pa. area sometime between late tonight and early tomorrow morning. People here are still trying to clean up after the last storm!

Medusa
06-19-2009, 06:01 PM
It was dark this morning, then bright and hot and humid this afternoon, now it's very foreboding out there. Stay safe, David. :)

davidpizzica
06-19-2009, 06:12 PM
It was dark this morning, then bright and hot and humid this afternoon, now it's very foreboding out there. Stay safe, David. :)

I will, Mary. There's a severe thunderstorm watch for Washington, Allegheny, and Westmorland counties until 11:00 tonight. Just in case, I cleaned off a storm drain in front of my house so that the water (I hope) will go there instead of my basement.

chocolatepuppy
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Chance of bad storms here tonight also. :(