PDA

View Full Version : Rescued a Chipmunk now a bird :P

Alysser
06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
A family of Chipmunks has taken up residence in my yard for years and sometimes we find them in the pool..drowned. But this little guy and his siblings are pretty darn lucky! On friday my sister and mom came home, saw a chippy in the pool and rescued him. He was fine, a little shaky and soaking wet but he got up after awhile and ran for his little life back into his hole. On saturday morning, I don't know what made me look out the window but I saw this little dude in the pool, I ran out and got the net and saved him. He was so wet and he was twitching and breathing really heavy but he got up after 10 minutes. I figured I'd get some pics because how many times would I get this close to a chipmunk? Then last night, Chippy is in the pool AGAIN! I RUN out because he was stopping the struggle and got the net. I put him in the garden and he was so disoriented. I couldn't leave him out there so I got a towel and picked him up and got him to his hole. I just hope this stops, I don't want little chippy to end up dead. :( Anyway enough rambling, I figured you want to see some pics of the cutie...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Weekendoff001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Weekendoff002.jpg
Ultimate close-ups...:o
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Weekendoff003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/Weekendoff004.jpg

By the way I DID see to of the chippys this morning playing A GOOD DISTANCE from the pool so I hope I'm right when I say lesson learned. And now I know they are ok at least...Oh and I know he looks like a baby and I think he is. He looks like a new born in the pics cause he's all wet lol. I haven't seen the parents but they were around a few weeks ago.

aTailOf2Kitties
06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
awwww...... poor lil' thing. Are they trying to get a drink and falling in, or are they falling out of trees or something? Do they even climb trees? We have squirrels everywhere, but I hardly ever see a chipmunk.

Alysser
06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
They generally know not to drink from pools because of the chlorine and it's just not natural looking but maybe because they are babies? Generally they don't climb trees..squirrels live in trees but these guys live underground. But yes they can climb but theres not really any branches over the pool so I am unsure. I've never seen one physically fall in but have only seen them struggling. They often play on the patio though, so that could be it!

Freedom
06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Bless you for saving the baby! Do you think it was the same one each time? Sure hope not, that is a bit scary, not learning his lesson, lol.

When we were growing up, we camped in the same place very year, all season long. We would sit and feed the chipmunks bread and seed from our hands, lol. They are adorable. I know as a home owner, I don't want them getting in the attic and what not, but gosh they are cute!

I was wondering about needing water as well. Wouldn't be the problem here, we are getting way too much rain!

I would love to see a vid of them playing on the patio, if you ever get the chance! Enjoy them!!

Alysser
06-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I have NO clue if he is the same one! I just hope if it was he's learned his lesson and he's not the brightest bulb in the shed. ;) It's been raining like crazy here too, and there's always puddles in the grass right near the whole so I don't imagine they would drink from the pool. I don't think they will try again. It's so cute when they play on the patio, I will surely try and get a video of it when I catch them next time. :D

caseysmom
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
How cute...chipmunks are pretty brave! We go camping at Lake Tahoe and they jump in my car while I am still unloading looking for food.

Alysser
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I thought you guys might like to know there hasn't been a chipmunk in the pool since this guy and I saw them playing around today while I was swimming with my friends but someone else DID end up in there. :rolleyes: Of all the animals a bird, I believe he was fairly young, a little house sparrow. I looked out the window and saw him in there weakly flapping, assumingly at that point he was in there for a few minutes and had been freaking out. I ran out, scooped him out with the net..and held him on my lap in a towel for a bit in the sun. He was twitching at at one point he stopped and I thought he was dead. His breathing was really shallow and his eyes were shut but I nudged him a bit and he straightened up and held his wings out to dry them off and seeing his vitals returning I left him in the grass in the sun for a bit and he dried off. After taking this pic, I moved a little and he flew away to the back of the yard. When I went to check a little over 10 mins later he was gone, I'm assuming he was fine just a little shaken. I DID manage to get a pic once his vitals returned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/bobbernut/july4167.jpg

Crazy little guy, he was quite adorable. :p

Cinder & Smoke
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I've never seen one physically fall in but have only seen them struggling.

You need to hire a Lifeguard.

;)