PDA

View Full Version : Florida teen arrested on animal cruelty charges...

moosmom
06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Authorities: Teen arrested in Fla. cat mutilations
By SARAH LARIMER, AP

MIAMI — A teenager was arrested early Sunday and accused of committing a string of gruesome cat mutilation deaths that had horrified residents of his Miami area community, authorities said.

For the past month, shocked pet owners in the Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay neighborhoods have reported finding more than two dozen cats killed and mutilated. Some of the dead cats were missing fur and appeared to have been cut with a sharp, straight instrument, police said.

Tyler Weinman, 18, was taken into custody early Sunday at a party, police said. Weinman was charged with 19 counts of animal cruelty, 19 counts of improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary.

Police put the home of one of Weinman's parents under surveillance several weeks ago after receiving tips from community members, said Miami-Dade Police Department Maj. Julie Miller.

"This terrible time has drawn us together as a community, further emphasizing the importance of knowing our neighbors, communicating with each other, and always staying vigilant to suspicious activities whenever or wherever they may occur in our village," said Palmetto Bay Mayor Eugene Flinn.

Weinman was being questioned by police Sunday. It wasn't clear if he had an attorney. Messages left at phone numbers for his parents were not immediately returned.

In all, the deaths of more than 30 cats were under investigation, but Miller said some of those cats were likely killed by dogs. She said additional arrests might be forthcoming, but she declined to name other suspects.

"I sincerely hope that with his arrest, the residents will feel relieved and their cats will be safe once again," said State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. "It is expected that the vicious crimes that have plagued these communities will not be repeated."

:mad::mad::mad::mad: UGH!!!!!

Grace
06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Did you see his picture? He has a sort of self-satisfied smirk on his face -
creepy little thing, isn't he?

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090614/capt.514b04b3e06e48c0a1d50c65593e3f5c.cats_mutilat ed_ny111.jpg?x=258&y=345&q=85&sig=uyyiAuW_kB1M5UOyAApfGA--

moosmom
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
You're not kidding. I'd like to wipe that stinking smirk off his face.

Alysser
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
If I could punch anyone in the face right now it'd be this creep. He's definately physcotic or something to be happy about what he did.

Karen
06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
If he is the guilty party, I hope the full weight of the law comes down on him.

I'm not going to judge anything from his picture, we do not know when and why that picture was taken.

cassiesmom
06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I heard about this on the noon news. It made me sick. RIP, kitties.

blue
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
What is reported as his booking photos.

http://media.nbcmiami.com/images/300*164/Tylerdoublemug.jpg

If he did the crimes and is convicted I hope his cell mate is a cat lover.

moosmom
06-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Blue,

We finally agree on something!!

Catherinedana
06-15-2009, 07:40 AM
This is very frightening. As you all probably know, many, if not all serial killers started this way. I'm glad that they found him now.

Can't imagine why ANYONE would do things like that but he is extremely ill. He needs to spend his life in a psychiatric facility where they can watch him carefully.

Makes me wonder a bit about his parents too. . .

elizabethann
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Poor kitties. If this guy is guilty, I hope they throw the book at him.

Daisy and Delilah
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Looking at those booking photos, I still feel a strong urge to knock him out. He was possibly being photographed by another cat hater.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I so hope they give him the max on punishment!!! That cute little boy could have a very hard time in jail.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Karen
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
they are saying now there could be others - that it may have been a group thing ... I hope ALL who committed such cruelty are found and prosecuted.

Kirsten
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Oh, I hope so, too!! :mad:

This guy even made the headlines over here, and you can add me to the list of those who would like to punch that smile out of his face! :mad: :mad:

BTW, today I read in my cat magazine that here in Germany a man has been convicted for four months because he put his friend's cat into a hot oven. Luckily, the cat was recued and survived (with his paws burned), but I hope that guy will have an awful time in jail!

Kirsten

RICHARD
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Has anyone seen the programs on the prisoners that care for animals, especially cats?

I want to see him go to jail there, if possible!:mad:

lvpets2002
06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes I was just thinking of that Richard.. Yup hope they send him to one of those prisons.. That sorry son of a Biiiittttccchhhh.. Rottt in HEELL..
Has anyone seen the programs on the prisoners that care for animals, especially cats?

I want to see him go to jail there, if possible!:mad:

Grace
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
From the Miami Herald -

When it came time to take his mug shot, the clean-cut Weinman flashed a half-smile.

He was charged with 19 counts of felony animal cruelty, 19 counts of improperly disposing of an animal body and four counts of burglary. Each of the felony counts carries a minimum mandatory fine of $5,000, six months in prison and psychological counseling.

meetthemews
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh thank god they caught him, I was horrified when I read the article about these killings. I wonder what the penalty for this type of crime is, especially since they have linked serial killers to this type of behavior. I'm sure it would include some kind of rehabiliation since he is young. But I doubt it would do much good.

Daisy and Delilah
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Burglary is a felony. He could be in serious trouble if convicted. :mad:

Alysser
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes, but the sad thing is he is not getting in more trouble for animal cruelty. :mad:

Grace
06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh thank god they caught him, I was horrified when I read the article about these killings. I wonder what the penalty for this type of crime is, especially since they have linked serial killers to this type of behavior. I'm sure it would include some kind of rehabiliation since he is young. But I doubt it would do much good.

Please see my post, directly above yours, for the penalties.

Alysser
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow, sorry I just realized it was for each case :o That is quite a few years..but I don't feel like doing the math. I just hope he gets the full hit on the law because he is still quite young.

luckies4me
06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Reading something like this makes me happy to know my children are growing up learning respect for animals. This just makes me sick to my stomach. And to think that there is more than one kid doing this? Where are the parents???

kitten645
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
I read this on another site but found it amusing...
"I hope his prison name is pussy."
Crude I know but funny. Hope he gets what's coming to him. If he WASN"T guilty, don't you think he'd be a little more somber?

Anikaca77
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_on_re_us/us_cats_mutilated

MIAMI – A teenager accused of killing of more than a dozen cats in South Florida does not pose a danger to himself or the community and can be released from jail on bond, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Judge John Thornton ordered Tyler Hayes Weinman, 18, released after a brief hearing Wednesday morning. Weinman, who appeared in a Miami-Dade County courtroom in a red, jail-issued uniform, will wear an electronic monitoring bracelet while he awaits his trial and will be allowed to attend counseling sessions that were recommended by a doctor after a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation.

"He is competent to proceed and does not, at this time, appear to be at risk of harming himself or others," Thornton said.

Weinman has been charged with 19 counts each of animal cruelty and improperly disposing of an animal body. He also faces four counts of burglary related to the cat deaths. His bond, which was set at $249,500, was posted Tuesday.

"He's just a good kid whose a victim of circumstances," said his attorney, Michael Walsh. "He did not do this crime."

Weinman is accused of the gruesome cat killings that terrorized residents of two south Miami-Dade County neighborhoods for about a month. Police believe he is behind the deaths of more than a dozen animals, whose mutilated bodies were discovered by their owners or other residents. Police say they investigated the deaths of about 30 cats, but they say some were likely killed by dogs.

"He's an innocent man," Walsh said. "There's no evidence. Obviously, there's been a public outcry to solve this crime and you know that that motivates police in certain directions. And now this young man has to sit there and bear the allegations. When the case starts to unfold, you'll see."

The teenager, who was arrested over the weekend, is scheduled to be arraigned July 6. His father and stepmother attended Wednesday's hearing and initially declined to speak with the media outside the courtroom after the proceedings. As the couple walked outside the courthouse, however, his father told television reporters that he was confident his son wasn't involved in the deaths.

"I'm absolutely sure that he is innocent," Doug Weinman said. "Because I've raised a son for 18 years and I know who he is."

Alicia Glatzer, whose cat, Sarah, was found killed and mutilated outside her family's Palmetto Bay home in early May, said she was shocked by Weinman's release.

"It's disturbing that they would let him out knowing that he has killed so many cats," Glatzer said. "Although he says he's innocent and his attorney says he's innocent, there hasn't been any cat killings since he's been in jail. It's a concern of mine that he's let out, that's he's back on the street."

Police said they arrested Weinman after tracking the teenager for some time. He was taken to the police station for an interview on his prom night and his house was placed under surveillance. But on Wednesday, Walsh was critical of the investigation, saying that his client's arrest was based on circumstantial evidence.

"He doesn't know who did it," Walsh said. "He has no idea. Next thing he knows, he's in the back of a police car being arrested for this crime."

Marigold2
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Cute kid.
Wish he would get the death penelty.
What I find so interesting is the smile.
He doesn't look afraid that he was caught,or what will happen to him.
Doesn't look embrassed, like he did something wrong.
No fear in his eyes. How many people smile for a mug shot and look smug?
No fear he will hurt his parents, friends, school mates, grandparents.
He looks smug.
He looks like he is IN CONTROL.
He is a pyschopath.
He will kill again.