PDA

View Full Version : Underweight pregnant queen

freckledimple
06-14-2009, 07:27 AM
The past month, my roommate and I have noticed a black cat skittering away from our outdoor feeder when we would go outside. Yesterday, she did not run away and we were able to get a good look at her. She is VERY pregnant and underweight. I lured her out from under the car with some food, and she is now resting comfortably in one of our bathrooms. She is actually a very sweet kitty, just a little unsure of us. We have provided her with water, dry kitten food, and an occaisional small can of moist food. Is there anything else we should provide for her that would help her to gain a little weight before/after she has her kittens? Thank you.

PS. She looks like she could drop her litter any time now. Her tummy is low and sticks out on both sides.

Randi
06-14-2009, 09:12 AM
What are doing now is fine. :) Make sure she can relax and feel safe, then she will probably start eating more. You could put a box with blankets/towels for her.

Good luck with her kittens, and thanks for helping her. :)

moosmom
06-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Freckledimple,

Thank you for taking her in!! Keep an eye on her. I suggest you go get some kitten food both canned and dry, as she needs all the nutrients she can get for her babies. You can also give her Nutrical, a paste that is high in vitamins and minerals. Keep a nigh light on and a radio with classical music playing if you can. Keep her as calm as you can.

Set up a box layered with old towels. When birth is impending, she'll be hanging around in a specific spot. Giving birth takes a total of 10 hours from start to finish. If you watch her belly, it'll contract and relax. Just be there for her, reassuring her. Let her do the work, but watch her carefully. When a kitten is born, she will tear open the sac and start cleaning her baby. If she doesn't do this, you'll have to tear the sac open for her to allow the baby to breath.

I had the opportunity to watch a foster of mine, Mattie Grace, give birth to 4 beautiful babies. I stayed with her the entire time, in awe of the process. She will be able to be spayed once her babies are weaned, at about 6-8 weeks.

Thank you again for coming to this beautiful girl's rescue. If you need anymore help, just ask. That's what we're all here for.;)

kb2yjx
06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
You did a very good thing!!!! St. Francis is smiling...

Pinot's Mom
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Thank you for taking her in; she needed you. I can't add to what the others told you to do-good advice. Take care of her! We'll be eagerly awaiting an update!:love:

Medusa
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh how wonderful that you were able to get her to trust you and that you took her in. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job of taking care of her. Please update us and post pix if you can. :love:

freckledimple
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, here's a few pictures of Pretty Mama:love: Obviously, she was more interested in the food than the camera:D You can really see her babies, too:eek:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC036082.jpg

blue
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
THats a purrty girl, good for you taking her in.

GILL
06-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Thank you for taking her in and caring for her and the babies.

kittykatharine
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh she is a beautiful mama! That is sooooo wonderful of you to take her in. She can now relax and feel comfortable enough to have her kittens. Good luck with the mommy to be! :love::love::love:

moosmom
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Another indication of impending birth is she will lose her appetite. Doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon, the way she's eating. What a beautiful girl she is.

momtomany
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Thank you for taking her in and providing her a safe place for her and her babies. I took in a solid black pregnant baby I called Persie. She was a great momma and I ended keeping her after her babies had homes. I lost her last year to cancer. God will smile upon you for this. Again thank you.

allmycats
06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
that is a wonderful you did. I wish I could do more, maybe soon.

maybe feliway will help her stay calm, a little ?
do you have home lined up for when the kittens are old enough?

you are a good person for taking in a mom-to-be!

krazyaboutkatz
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for taking in this beautiful girl in need.:) I hope that everything will go well with the birth of her kittens. Please continue to keep us updated.:)

freckledimple
06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, Pretty Mama is still doing well:) She's still eating well, and is gaining weight; so are her babies:eek: Her tummy has already gone from a flat onion shape to a more rounded onion shape. She loves to be petted, but I think picking her up makes her uncomfortable. Oh, she is also an ankle twirler;) We think she might be mute. Can cats be mutes? She'll look at us, open her mouth, and all you hear is a small breath sound. She doesn't wheeze or cough, and her breathing is not labored. She looks like she's meowing, but no sound comes out. We'll keep you updated as things progress:love:

moosmom
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't think she's mute. One way to find out is stand behind her and clap your hands. If she is startled,then she's not mute. Some cats have a very soft, quiet meow. So soft you can barely hear it.

I'm so glad you've taken her in. She needs a caring human being that will love her and take care of her when she needs you most.

columbine
06-16-2009, 09:06 AM
What a gorgeous little thing she is! Thank you so much for taking care of her. I'm sure her little ones will be just as beautiful as she is.

Love, Columbine

Medusa
06-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't think she's mute. One way to find out is stand behind her and clap your hands. If she is startled,then she's not mute.

That's a test for deafness, Donna, not whether or not they can meow. :)

GILL
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry Donna Medusa is right I have one that is completly deaf ( Precious) and one partcial (Lenny) both with blow your ear drums with thier meow. Chessie hears very well and has a meow that you have too be next too his mouth to hear.

lvpets2002
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
:love: Awee she is a beauty.. Yes you may feed her Kitten Replacement Milk for extra nutreints.. Only feed the kitten can milk ok.. God Bless you for getting her & taking care of her & the babies to come.. Just watch her close..

freckledimple
06-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Well, all the kitten food and KMR are obviously doing the trick. Mama and babies are definately putting on weight. She's slowed down on her eating a little. She'll stop eating for a short moment, but only for pettins':D

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/prettymama.jpg

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
What a "big" tummy!! Lots of kittens in there, ready to be born!! Cannot wait to see the babypics :love:;)

freckledimple
06-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Well, Pretty Mama is still waiting for her babies to arrive:rolleyes: Seems they like where they are for now:love: I was giving her some good pettin's yesterday, and when she let me look at her tummy, I saw a couple of fleas skitter off into thicker fur:eek: She's not covered in them, but we don't want it to turn into a problem. We sprayed Raid carpet tretment outside the bathroom door when she first got here, but didn't bathe or flea treat her because we didn't see any fleas, then. What would be safe, and low stress, to treat her fleas with. We'd like to have this taken care of before she gives birth, so the babies don't get fleas as well. Thank you.

moosmom
06-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Oops!:p You're right about the deafness/mute, etc. Sorry about that!

How about a nice warm flea bath? I wouldn't use Advantage or flea spot treatment as these are pesticides and can harm the babies.

I'm glad the milk supplement and kitten food are working to put weight on her. She is certainly going to need it when her babies are born.

Thank you again for helping her! You are an angel!:love:

freckledimple
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I got up this morning, and fed Pretty Mama. She dove right in, gobbled it up, and I went on with my morning routine. Later, my roommate went into the bathroom to get clothes out of the hamper, and hollered. I thought the cat had snuck out of the bathroom again:rolleyes: Then, "Babies! We have babies!":D We looked, we counted, 5 of them:cool: We will keep you updated, and post pics later.

aTailOf2Kitties
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
congrats.... and thank you for keeping her and the little ones safe :cool:

freckledimple
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
As promised, here are the first baby pictures. At first check, we think there may be 3 boys and 2 girls. Pretty Mama is not a nervous mommy, and is still eating well.

Enjoy:love:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC03634.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC03633.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC03632.jpg

columbine
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
:love: :love: :love: Welcome, little ones! Congratulations, Pretty Mama!

Love, Columbine

Catty1
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Congratulations! And she did it all by her little self!

BUT - she would not have done well at all if not for your feeding and great care.

BLESS you!:love:

Pinot's Mom
06-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Welcome babies! :love:

moosmom
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Great job pretty mama!!!!

Thank you for taking her in and giving her a safe place to have her precious babies, freckledimple.

GILL
06-24-2009, 09:20 AM
THANK YOU for giving this pretty girl a safe place to have her babies. I am sure that they will be as beautiful as their mother.
Again a Big THANK YOU. Just keep us informed with lots of pictures.

lvpets2002
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
:love: Awee how so Sweet.. The babies are wittle Cutie Pies.. Are they all = all black?? More pics please..

kittykatharine
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
OMG! They are so beautiful! Thank to you, there welcoming to the world has been a loving and safe one. Thank you so much for taking care of this family. Your super awesome! :love::love::love:

Cataholic
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh, how wonderful that you were there when you were! congrats to the new mom and her little ones.

momtomany
06-24-2009, 07:16 PM
They are so beautiful and remind me so much of my RB Persie and her babies. Thank you for taking her in and providing a safe place for her and her babies. Oh, please keep us updated and share lots of pictures of these beauties. Again thank you. :love:

katladyd
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you for taking this beautiful mama cat in and saving her poor babies from an uncertain future! I am sure she knows and appreciates all you are doing for her. She's one lucky kitty!

Catty1
06-25-2009, 03:11 PM
*ahem* any more pics of mom and babies? :D

freckledimple
06-25-2009, 06:44 PM
More pictures as promised:D

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC03646.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC03645.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/freckledimple/DSC036352.jpg

Catty1
06-25-2009, 07:30 PM
OMG! and all pure black like Mom!

I take it they are nursing well and are healthy considering their rough start inside their hungry mom?

Mind you...I have read that a mom cat's body will start stealing calcium from the mom's bones if needed for the unborn kittens.

Thank GOD you and your roomie found and fed her!:love:

freckledimple
06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
OMG! and all pure black like Mom!

I take it they are nursing well and are healthy considering their rough start inside their hungry mom?

Well, all black, except for the little two-toned one; but we don't know if he'll keep that color as he grows:cool:

They are all nursing well so far, even the runt. Pretty Mama is a good mommy, and not nervous at all. In fact, she gets a little jealous if we pay more attention to the babies instead of her:p She lets us handle the babies, but she makes sure she gets her pettins' too;)

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm so glad to hear that mama and babies are all doing well. I look forward to watching them grow and seeing many more pictures in the future.:)

Medusa
06-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh little Two Tone w/his feetsies up in the air is just too ridiculously adorable! And Mama w/her tongue sticking out...c'mon! Cuteness runs in that family for sure!