PDA

View Full Version : 10 Dogs & 21 Cats!!!

lexie
09-28-2002, 04:23 PM
the lady my mom works for has 10 dogs and 21 cats! she stuffes all these cats on a screened in patio and feeds them and that is about it. she doen't pay any attention to them at all.

the dogs all 10 of them she puts 6 of them outside and the other 3 she puts in small cages until she gets home then puts them outside. she works 12 hours a day or more. she pays pretty much no attention to them either.

she won't let me walk them or play with them.they are nice animals. they want to be loved she just won't care for them properly.

i can't make her get rid of them. i can't call the shelter,because they know her already and give her more animals.

primabella
09-28-2002, 04:28 PM
that's terrible. :(

aly
09-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Thats disgusting that the shelter gives her more animals to neglect. Really really disgusting.

Uabassoon
09-28-2002, 05:17 PM
There was an article about this in Cat Fancy awhile back. It was about "Cat Hoarders". They have all these cats and they think that they are helping all of them and won't give any away. But in reality none of them are well cared for, they aren't eating well or getting medical attention. And usually these cat hoarders don't have enough room to keep them so the living condition get really dirty and gross. It's really sad. I saw one of these cat hoarders on an episode of animal precinct. They kept trying to get the lady to get rid of some of her cats but she wouldn't then when they asked to see any medical records on the cats should couldn't produce any. And none of her cats where spayed or neutered so she just kept adding to her huge population of cats.

primabella
09-28-2002, 07:55 PM
oh my God, this is so sad! it's like having a puppy(kitty) mill right in your home. disgusting. :(

Dixie Belle
09-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Any way you could slowly sneek them out one at a time? I hate to say this, but my sister did the same thing a while back. She had to two cats, didn't get them fixed, and they had kittens. Then the kittens had kittens.....they started going over to my parents house and jumping on Jewel when my parents would feed her, just to get her food because they weren't getting enough. I finally got tired of it, and, well, my sister doen't have any of those cats anymore. And she is stupid enough to believe that they just ran off. Just recently she rescued two kittens whose mother was ran over. She has been keeping them inside and is taking good care of them. I know....I've been watching her. But, if there is a way you could do that, without getting caught, it might slowly work. It took me months.

Twisterdog
09-29-2002, 01:00 AM
Sounds like a hoarder, or collector, to me. This is a phychological illness. It can get really bad. There is a woman near us that has over 70 Siberian huskies staked out on her property on six foot chains. ALL these dogs were bred from one original pair, so you can imagine the lovely genetics by this point. Our local shelter has been trying to get custody of these animals for years, to no avail. The law here says they have to have "food, water and shelter" ... and they have VERY loose definitions of those terms. So, the dogs are still there, and she is still breeding more. Very sad, and frustrating.

sasvermont
09-29-2002, 02:09 PM
The firm where I work just finished representing a man who's dogs were taken from him. He was an older man, 82, mentally ill and breeding dogs. The dogs were not well cared for although he did Vet them. The SPCA got involved via the Vet and eventually, after several nasty confrontations, the courts had him sign over the ownership of the dogs to the SPCA and he signed documents swearing he would never have another animal in his house (to breed)....

The SPCA around here is very tough. They have great followup proceedures as well.

Although we were the goofs to represent the old guy doing the breeding with the dogs, we still worked closely with the State to get the old guy to stop.

Maybe someone could put pressure on the person(s) with all the animals. Are the animals taken to the Vet? Spayed, neutered? etc.

Keep us posted!:rolleyes:

FloppsyLadySally54
09-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Awww, that is so mean!! Seems like there is no way to stop her. Poor animals:( .

Tina
09-29-2002, 03:04 PM
OMG!! That is so awful!! If you can find away to get them out of there without her finding out. Then I would do it if I was you. I really feel bad for the poor furbabies.

Twisterdog
09-29-2002, 04:16 PM
While I fully understand the urge to "take" some of the animals, please keep in mind that this is stealing, no matter how one phrases it. And "removing" your sister's cats is a lot different than "removing" your mom's boss's cats!! ;)

I know it is very frustrating - VERY frustrating! - to watch something like this take place, and not be able to do much. But, I have to say, that stealing the animals is probably not the best solution, ever. Not to mention the obvious legal issues, this woman would just get more animals.

ramanth
09-30-2002, 10:27 AM
How very sad. You know... can you report the shelter to the news or someone? Especially if they keep letting her have animals. :( :(

Cookiebaker
09-30-2002, 11:17 AM
Like you said, "stealing" isn't likely to be a very good solution not to mention longterm. If the lady found out she would be very mad, and much less likely to work out a solution. What about being friendly to her, perhaps even helping her out by taking 2 or 3 dogs for walks everyday, making sure that they all get fed and have enough to eat? Or maybe talk to the local shelter, and describe to them what is happening, and try to prevent her from taking more animals. Maybe they don't know what her home atmosphere is like!

lovemymaltese
09-30-2002, 11:45 AM
oh my gosh, that is so inhumane, something has to be done. I am flabbergasted that the animal shelter continues to supply her with animals.

Dakota's Mommy
10-02-2002, 09:40 AM
That is really sad! Yes, she's getting these animals off the street and saving them from being killed but that's as far as it goes. If you don't have the time to love them like they need to be loved, what's the point in having them around! Luckily, they do have each other to keep each other company, but in my opinion, that's way too many with not enough time spent with them from humans!

Pam
10-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by lovemymaltese
I am flabbergasted that the animal shelter continues to supply her with animals.

Me too! To me this is similar to the bartender who keeps giving refills to someone already clearly inebriated.

lexie
10-04-2002, 11:51 AM
we have to find a home for my pom and now my mom wants me to give my dog to her.
i say no way!!!:mad: